Bargain IBM hd ...

lynx

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
IBM's have been nicknamed deathstars due to their terrible reliability issues. Spend 16 quid more and get a lovely Western Digital Caviar 120gb 8mb cache quiet elephant from komplett

I heard the 75GB had problems (to do with the bearings?) My 60GB IBM didn't have this fault... I think it also helps having a cooler.

£50+vat for a 80GB (rather have two smaller drives than one bigger hd anyway)

:mad:

save yerself the pain and agony and go and buy another make oher than these ibms, cause they suck.

i have or should i say had an 80gb hdd i purchased only 5 mths ago and it has crashed already!!!

i lost all my files:mad: and its a real pain in the a***!

i bought the ibm thinking i was buying a high quality hdd and it ain't. i'm waiting on my replacement, unfortunately another deskstar as it falls under ibm's warranty :(

i bought a maxtor out of pc world - component parts section and its been flyin (touch wood) for well over 1.5 yrs. i have broadband and the pc is on 24/7 downloading video and audio files

its the last time i'll purchase an ibm hdd i can tell ya. for a few xtra quid go buy a western digital or something ... u have been warned!

nobby

Nothing wrong with the 80g IBM drive I've got (just over a year old), but its not used much except for storage of my edited video footage, (its the slave drive on my PC) but the 40G Maxtor I bought a few months ago is the quietest HD I've ever bought. & its quick too....

I have had an 80gb IBM since last May- no probs (hope I've not just jinxed it) and with me and two teenage kids at the machine its had some right hammer!

The 75GXP line certainly has the "deathstar" reputation. Storage review have a drive reliability database up and the 75GXP is the worst by miles (haven't checked it recently though). I also read of a class action law suit being brought against IBM by its customers!

After all this, IBM recommended that their new 120GXP was not powered on for more than 8 hours a day with no more than 2 hours actual activity. I don't know about the 180GXP, but I would read the small print.

Maxtor every time for me :smoke:

And i have 3 with not a single prob.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

now i know why my hdd bust.

my machine has been doing srious downloading of the net and has been left on the majority of that time

that is a disgrace, a company like ibm issuing a hdd with such a warning.

it just goes to prove, the dearer and bigger brands are not neccessarily the best

ibm goes to prove that

as i write this email my maxtor is happy churning away 24x7 for the past 3 mths!!!

Ouch - just bought 2 180 Gig 7200 8mb IBM IDEs. They'll be used 16 hours a day non stop.
I think I'll swap them out since luckily, they are still sealed in their static bags.

FYI from www.tomshardware.com review of the IBM 180gig 180GXP :

IBM hard drives have always had a reputation for speed and reliability - at least they did until the DeskStar 75GXP series made headlines due to a slew of failures. Thankfully, this episode is a thing of the past and current models once again fulfill the expectations associated with the name IBM. To polish up its tainted image, IBM has now released the DeskStar 180GXP.

I'm keeping the drives.

What was the reason of high failures? People not using HD coolers?- and the IC's over heating? Bearings?

I have a 3x fan blower in front of my two HD's- a WD 80GB and a IBM 60GB.

Originally posted by 50/50
£135inc vat for a 200gb Western Digital hard drive.

Bargain !

Could you tell us where you saw the above

Mark

I've been looking into this drive and it seems that IBM have got their act in order with these drives.
Storage Review rate them highly.

I got burnt by the IBM 75GXP and the 60GXPs (twice), would seriously recommend staying well clear as the RMA support (after the sale to Hitachi) is now non-existent if they do go wrong.

WD 7200rpm 8MB Cache SEs are the way to go.

I've just noticed that the IBM 180GXP with 8MB cache all have a 3 year warranty, so they must be fairly confident they are OK. The ones with 2MB cache only have the 1 year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom