Answered Bargain gaming PC?

Hunter87

Standard Member
Hello beautiful AVforum members.

I'm about to buy my first desktop PC. I've seen the 'spec me a gaming PC' thread but was after some more bespoke advice. If forum etiquette is that I should have posted this as a reply on that thread, I apologise.

I've read you get more for your money by putting a PC together yourself, rather than buying one off the shelf. If anyone can offer suggestions or guidance based on my requirements below, I would be very grateful.

I have a "ballpark" budget of £750
PC will be used primarily for gaming and photo editing. I'm looking for the best gaming PC possible.
I'd potentially like to be able to upgrade it to play Oculus in future
This is my first PC and I don't have an existing monitor or WindowsOS
I have a student card (if that helps with any prices?!)
I don't have the know how to build it myself so need to find a company who can do this and factor that into the cost

Any advice and feedback welcome!
Thanks in advance for providing input and sharing your knowledge.

TheNameIsJambo

I think you're the first person on this forum to call me beautiful..

A word of warning before we all start diving on this and giving you recommendations and asking questions - your budget is about to get torn to shreds! :D "If you spend an extra tenner here.. And an extra twenty there.."

Hunter87

Standard Member
I think you're the first person on this forum to call me beautiful..

A word of warning before we all start diving on this and giving you recommendations and asking questions - your budget is about to get torn to shreds! :D "If you spend an extra tenner here.. And an extra twenty there.."
Haha! I did think that was a risk putting ballpark!! I can't go too far above my budget but if an extra £10 or £20 makes a significant difference to a component then I'd consider it.

I've found websites offering windows 10 for £30 so doesn't look like the OS will cost much thankfully. I'm surprised how much a decent monitor costs but I guess it makes sense looking at the price of TV's and the tech that goes into it all.

Hunter87

Standard Member
No replies! Have I posted this in the wrong place? :facepalm: or are people sick of answering questions like this? :thumbsdow

Toasty

Distinguished Member
This thread was started just before yours:

Want to start pc gaming don't know where to start

Maybe there's some relevant info in there.

I was in this boat recently and went for a pre-built Zoostorm i7 build with GTX970, SSD running Win 10 and 3Tb hardrive, comes in under a grand and well happy with it at the moment.

I'm no expert on Occulus rift, but I've read some finger in the air specs of i5 / GTX 970 / 8Gb RAM minimum, I suspect you'll want better than that for future proofing.

It will help if you already have monitors and things (even a decent 1080p TV to start with), as they will eat into your budget for the PC..

Hunter87

Standard Member
Thanks toasty. I had a look through the thread. Based on some of the suggestions it doesn't seem building one would be much cheaper. I'll have a look at some of the packaged deals.

No replies! Have I posted this in the wrong place? :facepalm: or are people sick of answering questions like this? :thumbsdow
Just a little advice, but posts such as these dont help anyone WANT to help you, especially when you add Facepalm and down thumb smileys.

You say you have read the sticky at the top - why not put together a build, and post it - then people wil help you tweak it.

Hunter87

Standard Member
Just a little advice, but posts such as these dont help anyone WANT to help you, especially when you add Facepalm and down thumb smileys.

You say you have read the sticky at the top - why not put together a build, and post it - then people wil help you tweak it.
Hi Theydon, thanks for the feedback. This is the only forum I've used and I haven't used it a lot, so I'm unfamiliar with the etiquette. The emoticons weren't meant to irk anyone.

I'm not sure now if a build is the right way to go. The thread Toasty pointed out suggests there's not much difference in price and I'd have to ask someone to put it together for us which would increase the cost as well.

I might look for a pre built PC and post it as you suggested to get some feedback though thanks.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Hi, everyone will tell you this anyway but building a PC nowadays is not only child's play but fun and incredibly satisfying :). Because you know exactly what you're putting into it, there are no nasty surprises (e.g. a rubbish power supply). If you go down the self-build route then we can help you, but it's all very straightforward.

Your student card might get you a cheap OS, not sure though. Agree with @Theydon Bois, I believe there's a good spec on the sticky thread in your price range. Note that if you buy from Scan you get free delivery as an AVF member. Spend as much as you can on your GPU and consider SSDs and fancy cooling systems a "nice to have" rather than essential if you want to stick to your budget. For instance, the stock Intel cooler will do you for a while, you can always upgrade later on if need be.

And yes, use a 1080p telly to start off with if you can. Get a monitor later. USB keyboard and a mouse are cheap, and don't forget you can use bog standard 360 gamepads too.

RMGEE

Completely agree with what @richardb70 said, I'm always adding SSD's and have upgraded my GPU, if I didn't try doing a self build I would never have the bottle to do it myself.

It's crazy how simple it is, just do plenty of research & take your time :smashin:

Hunter87

Standard Member
Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. I'd quite like to build my own but I might save that for the future. I'll have a look properly after work tonight and make a decision and I might call on some advice again then!

Thanks

Well I went £100 over straight away!

avf120116.jpg

The above are from Overclockers.

To reduce costs - Keyboard and Mouse. Get £5 ones from Currys or Maplin.

Windows, as someone suggested - install the trial version, then activate next pay day.

Two things never to skimp on, processor and GPU. In fact, I would rather have the £5 mouse activate windows later and then buy a 970 instead of the 960. If you look elsewhere for CPU bundles, then make sure its i5 minimum - AMD processors are just not comparable at the moment.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I spent a bit of time looking into pre-build v build yourself and could not price up the spec of my machine cheap enough to warrant the time and effort required to put it together myself, in fact I'm not sure it would have been cheaper if I took DIY seriously, a quick play with OCUk and it comes out £200 more than I paid.

I'm not taking it away from the people who like building PC's, its a worthwhile exercise that you have full control over (and responsibility), but no longer for me, especially if the savings aren't there. I take the point about second hand in the other thread, but to me, that lays you open to a whole host of other potential issues I wouldn't want to deal with.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
@Theydon Bois's build looks good, and agree to try to stretch for a 970. Bin the monitor if you can use a telly, go for cheap keyboard and mouse (they appear on HUKD all the time, I think I got a Logitech wireless bundle for < £20), and see if you can get a cheap Windows licence as a student. Otherwise look for Win 8.1 64-bit licences which should be cheap, and do the free upgrade.

Check Scan's daily deals too, they also do CPU, memory and motherboard bundles. If you're looking at an i5, there will be K editions which allow you to overclock them - if there's not much in it money-wise then it's worth ponying up the extra. You never know :)

Hunter87

Standard Member
Thank you all! I'll have a proper look through your posts shortly. Really appreciate your input and advice.

TheNameIsJambo

You can get Windows optionally, I suppose. You could initially save £80 and use Linux, which is free :D SteamOS is a thing now as well. However, I think Linux [& SteamOS] falls behind Windows somewhat in terms of performance.

If you do fancy doing some digging into how Operating Systems work, I'd recommend you give Linux a try. You'll learn a hell of a lot, that's for sure. Check out some Linux distros here: The Top 11 Best Linux Distros for 2015. There's plenty of choice and it's all fairly user-friendly these days.

Although, I should point out - You're fairly limited as to what games you can run; however the list is growing. But at least it's something you can use in the mean-time if that extra £80 will push you over the edge.

I think the best recommendation is to buy the best hardware you can afford. If you skimp out on any components you'll soon realise that you will need to upgrade sooner rather than later. In the last... 4-ish years, I've only bought a few bits of kit: A new GPU, PSU & PC case.

Like others have said, you can get away with plugging your rig into a TV. If you couple your rig with an MS 360 controller & Steam Big Picture Mode, you're practically playing a better than available console.

Whatever you're putting together just throw it up here and we'll point you in the right direction.

Right now, I'm awaiting the newest NVIDIA release before I get a whole brand-new rig! My old Sandy Bridge 2600K is beginning to fall behind the times, I'm afraid.

Hunter87

Standard Member
I think Linux is a but beyond me to be honest! The girlfriend will also want something that works out of the box and is familiar.

I'm afraid I've decided on the easy, less exciting route and I'm going to go with a pre built set up. As I upgrade parts going forward, I can learn about it piece by piece.

I found three decent looking machines here -http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Gaming-PC?price=500+TO+700

All of them have Radeon graphics cards and intel processors. Any feedback on which would be the best option for gaming/photo editing, or any alternative suggestions? I would like wi fi built in but it's only mentioned on the third build.

RMGEE

I can recommend Chillblast, I purchased one of their systems which was great, I had a problem with one of the case fans and they were very good in sending me a replacement.

I'd also recommend trying to stretch to a GTX 970, I had a 960 which was OK and will play most games in 1080p on medium settings but for the extra £100 ish the 970 is a beast.

Having a quick look on Chillblasts website this looks good value: Chillblast Fusion Krypton - Skylake Gaming PC

I'd still fully recommend that you go down the self build route though :)

Hunter87

Standard Member
That PC does sound amazing! With a monitor though, it's going to push the price to around £1000. It's a bit dear.

Thanks for the feedback on the 970. I'll try to stretch to that.

RMGEE

That PC does sound amazing! With a monitor though, it's going to push the price to around £1000. It's a bit dear.

Thanks for the feedback on the 970. I'll try to stretch to that.
It is VR ready though so would save you the cost of having to upgrade in the future.

Personally if I was you I'd try and wait and save the extra.

Hunter87

Standard Member
Good idea RMGEE. I'm waiting on Sony's VR headset first I think. Once they're both out, I can compare them, see the games available etc and pick one. I'll splash out on upgrades if I need to at that point.

I'm struggling to find a PC with a 970 graphics card that comes in around my budget. I might just have to be happy with medium settings.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I got ours from Argos, i7 with 970 card, you can pay over 6 months if that helps you..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett