1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain DVD/CD-RW combo for that AV style HCPC case

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Richard Harnwell, May 22, 2002.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just noticed that PC World (online as well) are doing an offer on a LG DVD/CD-RW combo drive, only £80!

The main details are:

Features
    — 12x write
    — 8x rewrite
    — 32x read CD
    — 8x read DVD
    — 2Mb buffer

I believe it can be region hacked, but don't take my word for it.

It's not the fastest writer around, but this seems like an excellent option for the AV style HCPC case which only has space for one such drive and no floppy.

Anyone know how quiet/good it is?

2. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Richard, I bought this LG unit for the very same reason and am quite pleased with it - it's pretty quiet and yes it can be hacked although note you can't reflash the f/w to RPC-1 (i.e. perm region free) all you can do is reset the internal counter after 5 changes - not a real problem more of an inconvenience.

The other thing to be aware with this unit is it DAE (i.e ripping) is not the best/fastest. Check here for more on this http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=82

I'm still looking/waiting for someone to provide RPC-1 f/w for this unit or any other available combo drive e.g. the Plextor PX-320

Cheers, Phil

3. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the feedback on it.

I'm afraid I don't really understand the types of region hacking for DVDROM drives.

How does the reseting of the region counter work? Is this what DVDGenie does, or is some form of manual intervention required?

Cheers

Richard

4. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richard,

Early DVD drives were typically region free (RPC-1) then as the DVD manufacturers bowed to holywood pressure they started coding the drives to a specific region (RPC-2) however RPC-2 firmware does allow up to 5 changes before it's fixed.
    Software DVD players are also coded however programs like dvdgenie overcome this barrier.
    So to be fully region free you need a region free drive and region free s/w.
    If you go to http://firmware.inmatrix.com/ you'll find more info and a link to those dvd drives that can be relashed with RPC-1 firmware - beware though, reflashing drives is risky!
    Unfortunately there doesn't appear, as yet, to be RPC-1 firmware for the LG drive - you can however download a patch that resets the internal counter once you've change the drive more than 5 times.

cheers, Phil

5. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Phil,

What I'm getting at, is does this counter reset have to be done manualy (in which case it sounds like a bit of a pain) or is it something that can be reset by DVD Genie (or something else), either each time it is required, or everytime a DVD is played.

Cheers.

6. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richard,

Reset is done manually but is reasonably easy using separate program you can download from that site I referred to. You'll automatically be prompted by your software player when the limit is reached and it only takes a few moments to reset things.
    I'm not aware of any program that can do this automatically - that would be sweet!

Cheers, Phil

7. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I see.

If you set the program to run on PC startup, do you think this would achieve the desired results (assuming the region isn't switched more than n times between reboots).

DVDGenie seems to allow you to run a specified program (normally DVDGenie itself) on DVD insert. How about instead pointing to a batch file that runs this reset program followed by DVD Genie (or the other way around).

Or does the reset program only work once the limit has been reached.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for your time!

8. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what you propose would be great however the LG region change utility has been written with a nice interface using drop down list and buttons to press. I'm not aware of any way you could bypass this and utilise a direct command.

You can reset the drive at any time.

regards, Phil

9. csayers

csayers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are thinking exactly the same as me, this drive is cheap! Ebuyer have it for £66.35 inc VAT

The only thing that bothered me was the lack of RPC1 Firmware.

They also have a samsung 8x8x24x8 CDRW/DVD Combo
    for £62.00 inc VAT. This has RPC1 firmware available but does not have buffer underrun technology.

Do I get one of these or bite the bullet and get a DVD-RW burner?

Christian:ponders