1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain Budget Multi-Region DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by uczmeg, Nov 28, 2003.

1. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Needed to pickup a cheap DVD player for a present.

And found a bargain....

Medion MD40288 Multi-region DVD Player

Link to Amazon

£39.99 delivered from Amazon if you use their free shipping option. Came it two days (says 3 to 5).

Plays practically everything out of the box including MP3, VCD, SVCD and photo cd.

It is multi region although the box says R2 (handset hack below if you need it).

Build quality is surprsing good and it even looks pretty good too. Nice slim silver model.

Not tried it on my 36 inch TV or the projector, don't want to know if it is better than my more expensive players! But on the office 25" TV it looks great.

Excellent present or bedroom unit.

Absolute steal at the price and I thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers
    Marc

Handset hack for multiregion if required...

1. Open the drive.
    2. Press 'Clear'.
    3. Enter the numbers '1', '3', '6', '9', and then '0'.
    4. Finally press 'Standby'

2. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just got one of these from amazon, MR out the box. When playing r1 discs and the output is set to pal the output is somewaht jerky, modifying the output to nstc the picture is fine.

Assume this means the player doesn't do nstc->pal conversion, is this normal for a macine of this price?

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It is obviously doing the conversion or it wouldn't work at all, by the sounds of it, it just isn't doing it very well!

Is there a choice to convert to PAL60 as well as PAL? PAL60 should be better as there is no conversion on the amount of frames it will have to show as NTSC signals are 60hz too.

Most TVs will cope with an NTSC signal, so it is much better to output NTSC as NTSC and do no conversion at all.

Cheers
    Marc

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Are there any dvd players that do NTSC to PAL conversion well? I mean however they do it your going to lose 5 frames every second. The best they can possibly do is just lose a field (half frame) at a time. I mean surely panning shots are going to jerk slightly.