Bargain Active Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dogfonos, Jun 12, 2015.

1. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Just stumbled across this deal and felt compelled to post. For those who love a bargain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-...fessional-Studio-Monitor-Pr-New-/381274618708

Think of the best integrated amp/passive speaker alternative at this price point? Doesn't inspire, does it? Never been a better time to 'go active'.

Generally regarded as one of the best active speakers at around a grand a pair so for £429/pair, new, sealed box, direct from the manufacturer (by the look of it), you won't go wrong.

http://www.whathifi.com/acoustic-energy/ae22-active/review
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/acousticenergyae22.htm

I should be on commission.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    The only way to really evaluate these is to ask, "What else can I get for the same Price?"

I saw them for as low as £250/each on Ebay, but a more common prices is £880/pr.

Of course, the link you provided, £429/pair, so indeed a bargain price. And it appears to be directly from Acoustic Energy, probably B-Stock, but definitely a bargain.

Alternatives are ADAM -

Adam A7X Active Studio Monitors - Pair | DV247

Genelec M040 -

Genelec M040 AX Active 2 Way Studio Monitor Speaker (single, black patterned finish) at Juno Records

Mackie HR624 -

MACKIE HR624 HR624 Mk2 Active Studio monitor (each) | Westend DJ

FOCAL CMS50 -

Focal CMS 50 active studio monitors (pair) | Absolute Music

Dynaudio BM5A -

DYNAUDIO BM5A-MKII BM5A MKII Active Monitor Speaker (Each) | Westend DJ

This Active Speaker is in some very good company.

Steve/bluewizard

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    can't be B stock as says New in listing

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Looks like end of line/discontinued model, but yes, brand new, sealed box.

'This Active Speaker is in some very good company.'

Yes, a purchase decision wouldn't be so clear-cut if the speakers were selling at around £800 - 900. Plenty of capable competition as you point out, BW, but for £429/pair, there's nothing on the market, active or passive, to touch them (IMO, of course). I so wish I could justify buying a pair.

I posted on this forum because I know most members use passive speakers and I wanted to highlight the value available from pro-orientated active speakers, such as these, in comparison with a traditional amp + passive speakers. However, photos and a few words cannot convey the quality that £429 will net you - you need to see these in the flesh, feel their build quality and most importantly, have a good listen...

True, an integrated amp + passive speaker system offers more inputs and convenient volume control (which of course, the customer pays for - whether needed or not) and I appreciate that sticking with a conventional passive speaker setup keeps folks in their comfort zone but for sheer audio quality, I doubt the best traditional setup at an equivalent price (say a budget Yamaha or Marantz amp + Dali Zensor 3, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Tannoy Revolution DC6 or similar) would get close.