1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bare minimum specs needed to for a HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by toadie, Apr 27, 2005.

1. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, I've been thinking about replacing my current dvd player the Denon 2200, with some form of HTPC setup.

I basically just want to use it for a dvd player only at the moment. Everything else such as music and pvr stuff can come later on.

I'm currently using a Tosh 42wh36 with component inputs, and I'm trying to find a video card that card output this. But it looks like no such things exist.

I've found an Aopen motherboard that has onboard component outputs, and this seems the easiest thing to do, but I can't find any reviews or information about it apart from on the Aopen website.

So what is the bare minimum specs I will need to play dvd through this an output to my tv. ( I know this tv doesnt do Hi Def pics, but i'm planning on getting a DLP tv in about a years time, or when this one blows up )

I want something that will easily play PAL and NTSC discs without too much hassle. Any help would be appreciated, as this area is a bloody minefield.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are component adapters for both ATIs and NVidias, also I think there's an NVidia 6600 variant that comes with component. Do a Search for "dongle" on here and I think you'll find some pointers as to where the ATI adapter can be obtained, AFAIK it has to be imported.

I use an ASUS mobo for my P4 system, a P4C800E, which seems to be pretty commonly used and I find the on-board sound perfectly okay, though 'audiophiles' would consider it naff. :)

For hardware-based DVD playback any current CPU will be sufficient, however to get the maximum PQ out of a PC you need to use software processing which will lead towards a 3G P4 or better.

That said, when viewing on a CRT such as yours my experience is that such processing will yield only a limited improvement over the PQ achieved using a player such as TheaterTek or PowerDVD along with something like an ATI 9600 or NVidia 6600 .. if cost is a factor then a £50 9600 SE (fanless) is ideal.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You can also consider Athlon 64 based systems :)

As KraGorn says, it depends what you want out at the end. Playing DVDs requires the lowliest of processors but once you start messing with ffdshow and other sorts of processing you need some speed :)

4. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. I basically just want a decent dvd picture. All i will be using the htpc at the moment is for playing dvds.

So later on I want to be able to add the PVR stuff etc.

Cheers

Mart...