1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Upgrade

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jenz, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just when you think you're settled along comes another deal, I'd like comments please particularly from Rob who I believe has one.

I have been offered a Barco 808s at an extremely good price. It has been suggested to me that the Barco 808s has a vastly improved picture, much greater HTPC capabilities (1600x1200, horizontal scan frequency range of 15-110 kHz and a vertical scan frequency range of 37-200 kHz) and an overall brighter picture.

Can anyone comment if you have this Projector/have rejected this projector/have used this projector? What are your views?

Any idea if this would be much better than my 708 [​IMG]

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

2. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil

Thought you were going to go for a Rock/Vigatec/Quadscan?

If you decide not to go for it, how about giving me first refusal. [​IMG]

Regards
    Gary

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something of a curveball, basically the scaler would go on the backburner or I'd get the Quadscan as has been suggested as a great upgrade for the 808s.

4. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I have researched this is a great projector-butit is huge compared to the 708.
    Firstly is it Data or Graphics ?
    Second I know of a guy who has two for sale so how much is it and how many hours on the tubes?
    Thirdly if you do buy it I may be interested in your 708 if you give me the details on it

------------------
    Jeff Crawford

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Neil,

I haven't got the 808 installed as yet. It looked awsome when I dem'd it though. Hopefully it will go in within the next week or so, depending on when I can get a hand. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers Rob.

Also forgot to mention, my 808 is an 808 Graphics. It doesn't have component input, just RGB, Svid and composite. Most graphic grade projectors are the same,as they are primarily made for computer presentations etc. so check, if component is important to you. I've been told by Focus that a quadscan will output a scaled RGB signal via the HD15 connector, I have yet to check this though. If not you can buy component to rgb transcoders, which presumably would get over the problem.
    ------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 21-03-2001).]

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Rob,

Quadscans accept input of component signals and output scaled/progressive signals in RGB through the HD15 socket. They can't output progressive Component.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Yep, I agree, if the tubes are duff its probably a deal killer unless I can get some replacements very cheaply.

Mind you, for £300 its maybe worth a fiddle about with - I'll have a think about this!
    Paul

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Jenz,
    I think you need to go and see an 808 (I noticed Uncle Eric offered in another forum) to see the difference between the 708 and the 808. Having waded through various forums looking for info (for myself primarily), I suspect there is a difference but I'm not convinced that it will be that big a leap.

I think you really need to see it in the flesh first but if you've got the money and the tubes are in good nick... go for it!
    Paul

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, that was my understanding when I explained my setup to AV Science. They told me the Quad has a VGA Out connector only. Rest are Inputs.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The Quqadscan has inputs for S-vid, componentm, and composite. All these are output as RGBHV progressive signals.

I've seen a 708 and I've seen a Cine8/Runco 992. The Cine8 is based on a Barco 808 chassis I believe. The difference in performance over a 708, is in my opinion, substantial.

I'm using a Barco 800 data at home just now. Previous model to 801. If you can get one that works then it's great for under £1000.

If it's not shagged then £300 is good value. Even if there's burn in of 4:3 nature juSt move the thing closer and use a smaller section of raster. Look in the tubes and see if you can see burn in. If the blue tube is seriuosly burnt and you can see brown 4:3 section then perhaps you might give it a miss.

The cost to re-tube at "end user cost" would be uneconomical I'd guess. Between £2000-£3000. But it's got to be worth £300 if you can get a picture out of it.

Hope this helps

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

12. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Gordon what would you pay for an 808s in immaculate, trustworthy condition?

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Being a tight git I'd want to get it for free. Still, if it had a 2 yr warranty and new tubes then anything under £6000 would be a bargain.

However, I'd be looking for NEC models as, from my limited experience they have been the models I've seen with the best picture quality. Runco 991 Ultra, based on XG110 or 135LC I think.

Gordon
    Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

14. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Gordon,
    "Substantial increase in improvement"! Just how good does CRT get! Also, thanks for the burn-in info, I'll hopefully be able to see it in a few days time - you're right, as long as its not a pile of junk its worth following up (if nothing else I'll find out if CRT and me are are good mix!). So you have an 800 now!? What happened to your NEC or do you still have it?

Jenz,
    Looks like you may have struck a goldmine! (I'm hoping I've not struck fool's gold). Next problem is linking all your kit together - any further with regards the Rock etc.?
    Paul

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The NEC6PG I had been using has gone to live in England along with my Quadscan......

I have a NEC 9PG but it is pre-sold and is currently being serviced. So, I'm slumming it with this BARCO800. It has its problems. Unstable convergence being the worst. However guided convergence takes all of 2 minutes every couple of days.

How good does CRT projection get.... Very good! I really hope I can pull off the event thing so everyone can see the difference. When we did the 991 Ultra v another manufacturers 7" projector two years ago EVERYONE saw a profound difference.

Hope your 801 turns out OK.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 22-03-2001).]

16. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Kit connection is taken care of. At present I have a number of things to resolve.

Firstly a new screen 16x9 8ft. This has been sorted just trying to figure out delivery.

Secondly the decision on the Barco 808s which I hope to make early next week if the price is right.

and finally getting rid of my HTPC... oh that bits done [​IMG]

17. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Slumming it! LOL!

Re the 801, we'll see, I've been bone-ing up on burn-in so I'm reasonably sure what I'm looking for but at the price, its worth buying for a mess around - like you said, if you can get a picture out of it then why worry.

Unless it turns out to be in good nick, I might buy it, fool around, learn about convergence etc then bin it pending a something a bit newer and more reliable (you can tell I'm not expecting much out of it, I think thats down to price being asked but maybe I'm looking a gift horse...!)

I'll let you know how things pan out.

Jenz,
    I'm convinced you've won the lottery - c'mon spill the beans, "kit connection sorted" is a bit cryptic, what you up to?? ;¬)

I'll say this though, you've sure got the 'I must upgrade now' bug bad!
    Paul

18. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Kit connectivity won't be sorted out until first week of April when The Rock Video Processor arrives on my doorstep.

Hope to have my 16x9 Screen sorted by then and the 808s or stay with 708 decision resolved. Looks like I may have to cancel the Kids Disneyworld Holiday in June [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Jenz (edited 22-03-2001).]

19. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I knew it! Just read your post in the Progressive Scan forum and came back here to berate you!!

You lucky, lucky man! In the words of the great Mark Anthony on hearing that Julius Caeser had porked Cleopatra, "I am jealous as fudge".

Having said that, for what £6500 or so, you have (almost) the ultimate home video system a consumer could buy! £6500 could have bought you Selco 200HT you know! ;¬)

I will leave you in the hope that the one lensed, cracked plastic, no manual and dodgy convergenced 801 that I have yet to see actually does actually power up let alone give a good picture.

Yours
    Green with envy!

PS The wife and kids can always watch a video of Disneyworld - hey its cheaper and not as hot!

20. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd invite you down to see it but it's quite far. How about I send you a photo [​IMG]

21. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    You b*****d - thats not funny!

Seriously, you must keep us informed, your Barco buying threads have been really interesting and fun. Its been good hearing and average Joe's opinion and experiences in plain speak rather than the sometimes confusing chit chat of more experienced members (no disrespect intended to anyone, just my views - hey, maybe this thread is confusing to some folks!).
    Paul
    (off to bed now to dream of rocks and rays!)

22. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Blimey Jenz they are falling out the trees this week!

Just been asked if I would be interested in a Barco 801 (no idea of the exact model) for £300 !!! I'm assured it works and can go for a demo. Its being used in a local oil company for training staff etc so could be well used and probably burn-in from 4:3 useage.

Anyone any idea of the cost of new tubes for this thing and whether its really a good buy or a white elephant?

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    No disrespect recieved Paul.

If anyone finds what I post confusing please say so. I try to make things as simple as possible but it's hard. Let me know when I'm confusing and I'll clear things up....

GF

------------------
    StereoStereo

24. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, I've no idea of the price of tubes. Basically my idea of replacing tubes would be to buy a new Projector! - Is that sad or what... that's why this upgrade of mine needs to be looked at properly because the tubes in my 708MM are brand new (well OK 25hrs they had before I got them)!

25. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Gordon,
    Blimey, I wasn't really thinking of you, some of your recent posts have been really excellent - the stuff on scanlines I thought was very clear and informative indeed, the kind of thing everyone can understand and learn from!
    Paul

26. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Barco Graphics 801s - tubes looked good. Didn't get a chance to see it working as it had been taken down. Case looked a bit tatty but like I said, tubes looked ok so I'm going for it. No manual and the remote is built in the back door panel(?!)

Gordon, I'm told that its missing a board for computer input but is fine for video - I assume that this would be an RGB input board of some sort thats missing, I take it I could source one if needed but other ok for direct DVD connection via component (or svideo if need be)?
    Paul

27. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Mr A.
    This was a sheer fluke, one of these casual conversations that suddenly cause ones heart to skip a beat or two and the phrase "say that again" to spurt from ones lips! It may well yet turn out to be a disaster, we'll see! I'm pig ignorant about projectors, most of what I know comes from this very forum so I'm really up s**t creek without a paddle then! ;¬)

GarryF
    I may very well take you up on that! I'll be in touch - you may live to regret the offer!!

Whatever happens,I'll keep you all informed - should have it home tonight. £300 down the swannay or bargain of the year??? Stay tuned.

This has been one heck of a week for used Barco's - its all Jenz's fault!
    Paul

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Paul

The Barco will probably have s-video and composite sockets. I can send you a Barco CCF file for a Pronto if you wish. This may make things slightly easier than faffing around with the remote inside the back.

Evenif it doesn't have a VGA (HD15) PC input card I'd be amazed if it doesn't accept RGBHV on BNC sockets.

Anyway, if you have any problems let me know. Top tip is to either use test patterns off Video Essentials or AVIA or use the "genlocked" internal test pattern when doing geometry and convergence. Make sure you are feeding the ting a signal if youare using the genlock pattern though.

Have fun!

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

30. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0