Barco/Sony - Seleco?

cosaw

Established Member
Reaction score
On the basis of size and budget I've been thinking of candidates for my first crt pj as: Barco 800/801 or Sony 12**.

I've seen Selecos for sale but wanted to know a bit more about them.

How do Seleco 300 - 400 models compare for:
Picture Quality, Size, Weight, and overall Value for money.

I'd be connecting via HTPC and really only using for dvd. Looking to project to a 7 to 8ft screen. I'm not bothered how easy the pj is to use; I'm quite prepared to tweak and mess around if I have to and get the room as dark as possible.

Any thoughts welcome,

cosaw

Well forget the 300 series Seleco's. They are Video only.

The equivalent seleco's to the 801 and 1272 would have been a 700 series. The 700 series was the basis for the 800HT CRT from SIM2/Seleco. The Sony's need a decent scaler if you are to have easy aspect ratio control and good image quality. The Basco has a better memory structure to allow aspect ratio control and so could be used with a simple line doubler/de-interlacer.

The Sony is smaller than the Barco. The Seleco4/5XX are prettiest physically. Each one if set up well should give a nice image. I'd think you'd get best value out of a Sony or Barco myself.

Oh and the BARCO 801 is likely to be brightest I guess.

Gordon

Thanks for the information Gordon. It's given me a better point of reference for an equivalent standard in Selecos, wich is what I wanted.

Sounds like the Sony, being a bit smaller, would be for me. I've heard about aspect ratio issues with the Sony's but I figure I should have maximum potential for different setups via HTPC.

Thanks again,

cosaw

I'm selling my Barco 808s Iris2 8" CRT, Quadscan Elite scaler and Pioneer 737 DVD.(Inc pro cables)
I hope to advertise them as a package on here in the next few weeks.
You are welcome to come have a view, even if it's not quite what you are after.
I live in Droylsden, so it's not far from you.
Either way, it would give you a good idea what to look for etc.

Whatever your budget/experience, i would still allow for a proper installation and calibration.

I've changed to DLP mainly for convenience reasons, but the Barco can look great with a bit of patience!

Let me know if you want to come round...;)

Thanks for the offer Paul. I'm still in the research phase at the moment and I don't anticipate having the funds to buy a projector in the near future.

At the moment I'm having a few health issues which are preventing me straying far from home. However if the offer stays open and you decided to keep your Barco, I would perhaps be interested to come and have a look at some point in time.

Good luck if you decide to sell, thanks again.

Simon

No problem:)
But if you do feel well enough before it's sold, you are welcome to come have a look.
Even though the PJ is for sale, don't be worried i will try to sell it to you!:D
I understand how hard it is to get CRT demo's, and like to try and help where i can.
Trust me, the more you learn about this hobby the less you know!:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom