1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco serial control cable usage

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob.Screene, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    controlling most Barco's using a serial cable.

This allows auto power on/off, pause/resume and total replacement of the huge (un-learnable) Barco remote plus it also facilitates Barco's own pc control software (dos based?).

I need a 6m serial cable from my HTPC to my Barco.
    As I see it, the Barco end requires a DB9 male plug, the HTPC serial port requires a DB9 female socket.

Has anyone any experience of using the serial connection on a Barco?
    Roland? Any thoughts?

Can anyone advise where to get a reliable cable of that length, in the UK. I've tried Comet and PC World, dabs.com

I have so far only found on www.maplin.co.uk:-
    DD29G M/F 9p V24 Cbl 3m 1 £8.50
    DD30H M/F 9p V24 Cbl 5m 1 £11.06
    =piggy-back them for 8m =£22.98

Alternatively,
    DB9 plug, DB9 socket, 2 DB9 shells and 6m sheilded cable=about £10 + total DIY. I would rather not build my own because I'd hate to get it wrong and damage the Barco 808s control parts.

Any similar experience, advice or comment appreciated.
    cheers,
    Rob.

[MOD EDIT : Removed dead link]

2. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How's the Barco remote un-learnable? I've got it on my Pronto no problem.

Cheers

Dave

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sorry Orbital, yes the Pronto is one exception.

It's just that I don't like LCD based remotes, like the Pronto because you have to keep looking at the remote because you can't feel where the buttons are.

Rob.

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Rob

I built my own cable using db9 -> rj45 adapters from maplins and a long bit of cat5 . Once you've got the cable working getting basic things to work should be pretty easy. Mine started off working great then for some reason it's stopped working now.

I started off trying to use the girder serial add-in to control it as documented somewhere on AVS but couldn't get it to work properly. THe barco control software did seem to work though.

John

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    NEVER PLUG THE RS232 CABLE IN WITH THE PROJECTOR ON.

I know this goes for all RS232 ports but Barcos are particularly sensitive to it.

With that out of the way. The other one to watch is that Barco have two control points

1. RS232 which is obviously standard.

2. "COM 800"

This is the Barco peripheral connection system for switchers and a host of other accesories. this has a 30volt feed which if you connect to a PC will blow both the PC and the Barco big time.

You can down load the contol software from barco it's pretty crap but it should emulate the remote and let you adjust most functions.
    You'll find it here Barco Software download page

For the programers amongst you there is also the RS232 comands here make sure you get the CRT version

Orbital Did you learn or down load the Barco controls into your Proto? Barco have a particularly mean way of send out their signals via Phase Pulse Modulation (PPM) rather than the standard RC5 found in most domestic equipment.

Barco remotes with new batteries should be able to transmit for about 30 - 50m so in your cinema you may find that they are too powerful especially if you point it straight at the PJ. for best results aim at the wall or screen.

6. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Roland,

I got my CCF file from our very own Mr Fraser :) (who I also bought the PJ off). The only thing I’ve done to it is to add some nicer buttons. I actually sit directly under the BD800 and only on very rare occasions does it fail to pick up the signal. All in all it works a treat.

Cheers

Dave

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm sure Barco send out their equiment ID then the comand then the ID again which is why most learning remotes have problems.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had trouble learning my Barco remote commands at first.

I soon discovered that if you keep the Barco remote button pressed whilst awaiting the learning remote confirmation, it will not learn the code.

The trick i found was to "jab" the button once "quickly". The LED on the Barco remote must only blink once. If it blinks more than once, it is sending the code again. Since the Barco IR string code seem long ones( had a look at the IR string on my pronto), maybe most learning remotes reject the code if their learn buffer fills up with repeat code etc.

Hope this may help...;)

9. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    A quick note to say thanks for all the help.

I bought the bits from Maplin and made the 7m cable. As per the document Roland refers to, it only requires 3 straight-thru wires connected, plus 3 lined together in the DB9 plug (female) at the pc end.

Downloaded the free control software for easy testing.

Took quite a while to determine that a broken TX connection in the projector-end DB9 plug was causing no response.

The I followed the code format to control projector 0 (I think this then controls any projector on the chain), where as some example on avs was for higher id's and so required a checksum addition calculation for each.

I downloaded a serial control plug-in for girder and I now have these Barco "projector 0" controls in a girder group and plan to add some 2-way controls, like discrete OFF (using state and the standby toggle).

When the HTPC has finished booting, it turns the Barco on. When the off button on my denon remote is pressed, it turns the projector off (or on if it was off!) and shuts down the HTPC.

I also learnt up,right,left, enter, adj, exit, pause from the VIDEO mode on my denon remote, so I can put the huge Barco remote away safely and still do convergence.

regards,
    Rob.

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How about adding a speach recognition package.:cool:

There again projectors seem to have trouble understanding what I want them to do any how.:)

P.S. what's the record time for finding out the IR receiver on a pronto is on the bottom.:clown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.