Barco RCVDS/Crystalimage integration

bpasco

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've a Barco 808s which I've been running with a Barco RCVDS 05 signal switcher. Good solid system. Loads of flexibility with the input types, and the ability to turn the projector on and off remotely from my equipment rack. I desperately needed a scaler, however.

I got a great deal on a Crystalimage VS 4.0 scaler, which does a nice job with the projection image. The VS 4.0 aspires to be a signal switcher. It is not as versitile as the modular RCVDS, but can handle fairly straight forward video requirements. Unfortunately, it does not switch the audio with the video the way the RCVDS will. In short, switching the video without switching the audio is not much of a solution.

The obvious solution is to ignore the switching functions of the VS 4.0 (Essentially treating it as if it were a model VS 2.0), and just wire it between the RCVDS and the projector. This way the RCVDS still serves as the switcher for all audio and video, and the scaler just scales. Like many obvious solutions, it doesn't work.

Here's the rub: In short, depending on the input source I get audio but no video. What I think is happening is this: The Crystalimage scaler takes various signal input types, and outputs only 3,4, or 5 BNC component (Port 4/5 on the Barco projector). The RCVDS, however, routes the various inputs (component, composite, s-video, etc) to the respective video in port on the projector. Since the VS 4.0 outputs everything to port 4/5 component, but RCVDS is telling the projector to look for video signal on another input port (s-video or something else), there is a real integration problem.

One person suggested that I need an Expansion Module for my RCVDS, part R9828000. Theory is that will convert the RCVDS to output in 5 BNC component, and the projector will thus expect only 5 BNC component video input, making it simple to place the VS 4.0 in the loop.

I'd greatly prefer to figure out a simpler way, which does not involve my trying to track down obscure and expensive barco parts. Any ideas are warmly received.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom