1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco RCVDS 800 and 05 Compare/Contrast

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bpasco, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bpasco

bpasco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone has insight into the various merits/demerits of the Barco RCVDS 800 vice the RCVDS 05, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

The context in which it will be used is going to be a pretty plain vanila system for the moment - Barco 808s, dvd, cable, and vcr - but will be getting more sophisticated as we move forward. Sometime this spring I'm going to build a HTPC, and perhaps in the fall I plan to integrate into it an Avid Media Composer system. With the Avid comes various other media decks, but they will connect throught the Avid, not directly through the RCVDS. The untimate goal is to have a small home cinema for screening with a tolerably professional grade edit suite in the next room.

I currently have a Quad 350 Switcher which won't accomodate composite or S video, and in any event has only room for four inputs. I've been told that the easiest solution may be purchasing a RCVDS. The RCVDS 800 can be found pretty cheaply, but information on how to set them up and use them is sparce. RCVDS 05 manuals are easier to find, but they are relatively more expensive pieces of equipment. What I've not found is any sort of explaination of how the 800 and 05 differ and what one gets for the extra money.

Finally, I picked up a Barco MAGIK interface, principally because I found one very cheap. Is there any particular reason I would need one of these for a home theater system? I could use it to hook in the Avid or HTPC, but is there any particular reason I should do that?

If anyone has any insight...

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Brandt
    the main differnce betqween the 800 and 05 RCVDS switchers is how they comunicate with the projector.
    An 800 has to be connected to a projector to work, it will not stand alone. It purly routes the signals and does a bit of boosting to the syncs. There was no decoding possible.

The 05 switcher was a very complex peice of kit but mostly used as a switcher. (it will stand alone and crash swicth) you can add additional output stages to feed to more than one PJ/monitor.
    You could add a decoder composite, s-video, component all converted to RGBH&V and line doubler was possible.

Hope that helps.

The Magic interface was a top notch piece of kit eccept for the potentiometers these need replacing (if they haven't been already) or you will more than likely loose a colour as you move the box around.
    It was mostly used for boosting PC siganls up to 1v

3. bpasco

bpasco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you'll forgive me, my problem is similar to yours, but different on the margin. I understand my wife. Whether or not she understands me is an open question. But we can agree that it is manifestly the projectors that are the trouble! My wife works in film production, whereas I know next to nothing about it. I just work for a living...

I got a Barco tech support guy on the phone. He was very helpful, and was willing to spend as much time with me as I could use. His view was that for my application, essentially a home theater, a MAGIK interface was likely to be more trouble that help given the relatively short cable runs. None of my cables will need to be longer than 20 feet, if I've calculated it out right. Does that square with your understanding of how the MAGIK is used?

I've now got a basement full of equipment that I'm going to begin putting together over the next week or two, with more on the way. Simply to see if it works for me, I picked up a RCVDS 800. If it doesn't do what I need (A fairly nebulous standard, since I am just now trying to figure out what I want.) I'll consider upgrading to an 05 later.

Barco cannot supply RCVDS 800 manuals. If anyone has a copy of one scanned in or knows where one can be obtained, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for your help.

Brandt

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would leave the MAgic out for the moment. only iff you notice cable reflections etc would I put it back in.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Is there any way to get an RCVDS 800 to work without a barco projector as just a switching box ???

does it need to be pluged into the remote connector on the back of the projector or is there a way round this > I think you have already answered this for me Roland, but I can hope :)

If not anyone want a unit cheap ? :rolleyes:

cheers

Guy

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Thanks Roland, I was sort of hoping that maybe it just looks for 9v on one of the pins on the comms port.

So anyone with a barco want a switcher ? :D

8. neon77

neon77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello , I am French and my Language is very bad,Sorry

I have the manual of the RCVDS 800(PDF) if you want it send to me a mall, either give me an address or I could put it.

I will have Ciné 8,
    the RCVDS 800 is compatible with this CRT?

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In theory the units are compatiple but I would not use them together as you my get a software conflict with your Cine 8.
    Also the Cine 8 will use RC5 remote codes whilst the RCVDS 800 will expect PPM.
    Actually thing about it there was a later version of the RCVDS5 which had a switch to make it compatible between the two IR formats.

10. flibble

flibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you could mail the PDF too disposbaladdress@marutan.net I can put it on my website for others to download. I have an RCVDS 800, but have never read the instructions I think it would be very useful.

Peter

11. neon77

neon77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the rcvd 800 manual, is in your mailbox

12. flibble

flibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned: