Barco Installation Question....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by theritz, Nov 3, 2004.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi guys,

I expect to have the chance to acquire a Barco 701s shortly, with the added benefit of a trial in my movie room to see how it goes... :smashin: (thanks to Vex..... :hiya: )

My question relates to installing the pj if I chose to take it on..... I can accomodate a floor mount temporarily to trial run for picture quality etc. (Vex has it running very nicely, after two years of digital, I couldn't get my head around the fact that it had no line structure/pixels/whatever !!!

On a permanent basis I would have to have it ceiling mounted but having had a read of the installation manual and a whirl with the lens calc prog, I'm concerned that the projector will be mounted too low - the top of my screen is 19" from the ceiling - does the Barco have to be installed at the same level as the top of the screen ?? I've seen installations on the web where the pj was mounted practically flush with the ceiling (my preferred option, or as near to it as I could manage), but the screen top is some distance from the ceiling.

I'm not willing to compromise the screen position - it's absolutely perfect for comfortable viewing (confirmed by others including forum members).

Any advice help etc very much appreciated.........

BTW, I'm sure you guys have no idea how sparked up I am about this..... I've always wanted to give CRT a go, if there is a locational issue with this I'll be seriously miffed.......

Regards,

Sean G.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    In order of preference (but not necessarily convienence/WAF)

Ceiling mount on extended bolts so pj is suspended below ceiling (best solution - easy but doesn't look good)

Ceiling mount and use the Barco's vertical position controls to move the display if vert pos has enough range (means image is at top of tubes rather than centered - not ideal but it works)

Ceiling mount at an angle - front of pj lower than the back (again not ideal but will work)

Ideally go for the first solution, image may be marginally compromised for the other two (keystone use etc) but I doubt it will be in anyway a problem unless settings are at their extreme range) nor noticeable. HTH!

Edit - of course any combination of all three would work as well!
    Paul

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The mounting plates on the top (when ceiling mounted) of the PJ are typically level with the top of the screen. It's all in the manuals, and you'd be foolish IMHO not to follow the correct set up. Ideally the middle of the screen should be at eye height- and there lies the poblem. You stand up and smack your head.

I'm 5'9". The underside of my PJ hushbox is at 6'. Screen centre is roughly 5', so elevated when seated, but not too bad. People >6' are requested to duck.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul,

thanks for that.... I might play around with relative pj/screen positions while I have the PJ on a stand in "coffee table" mode and see how it goes...

Barcoing mad,

Thanks for the input. I'm 6'2", would have the pj at just the height to bounce off my head off it on a regular basis, and there's no way I'm going to sacrifice screen position for it. I would go mental if I had the screen in an elevated position - all wrong, imo, and completely spoils the viewing experience for me. Eye level in my setup (when seated) is just a little below one third screen height.

Would be grateful for any further advice regarding possible solutions along the lines suggested by Paul..... if this is a route which would result in focussing problems or shorten the life of the tubes, I'd like some further advice. If there's a practical "rule of thumb" about flexibility with mounting height relative to the screen I'd also be grateful for that advice.

Thanks,

Sean.

5. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the barco lens program you can change the angle of the pj to about 18 degrees (its standard is 10.5 degrees)
    On a 2metre wide screen that would meen the front mount of the pj is approx 3" from the ceiling with the back mount level to the ceiling giving the top of the image 3metres away abot 18" from the ceiling.
    To work it out precisely we need to know your screen width etc..

John

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    JMPremier,

That sounds very promising.... the screenwidth is 81", I have some flexibility around it as it's a fixed screen with adjusatble masking, but again would not be anxious to go down to a 72" wide screen. The top of the screen is 19" from the ceiling, and I have sufficient length in the room to accomodate the PJ plus the throw distance for the screenwidth. I'm off for another play with the lens program - I didn't realise that I could change the 10.5 degrees number (doh !), and see what I end up with - a quick look indicates that 18 degrees would drop the top of the screen over 24" from the back of the projector, which would be flush with the ceiling.

Thanks for the advice... now all I've got to do is sort out how I'm going to actually attach the beast to the ceiling... afaik the timbers in one part of the ceiling are not strong enough - this would mean re-orienting the movie room, or disembowelling the ceiling and putting in beams to which I could attach some unistrut.......... :eek:

EDIT:

OK, another play suggests that for a 16:9 80" wide screen, I'll have a throw distance of 107" from the screen to the front of the projector, 129" to the rear of the projector - fine so far - with an angle of 15.9 degrees, the rear of the projector would be flush with the ceiling, the front would be 2" lower, and the top of the projected image would be 19" from the ceiling. That sounds like a possibility - when the time comes I'll be doing the calculations with a greater degree (no pun intended) of accuracy - I'll need to take into account whatever additional distance I get the rear of the projector lower than the ceiling to allow for the mounting hardware etc.... about two months ago I told a sceptical Mrs Ritz that my new laser level and tripod would come in useful !!!!

I've been thinking about running this at 1024x576 (hcpc all the way here) - is this a decent possibility - I've seen it running at 800x600 and it looks brill, but I'm used to seeing my desktop etc in 16x9 format, and because I've got a masked 16:9 screen, projecting a 16:9 image would make it easier to do convergence etc. If I've got this wrong, I'd be glad to be put on the right track.

All and any further observations welcome.............. :smashin:
    Thanks again......

Sean G.

7. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Tilting the PJ may cause problems with focussing uniformly top to bottom. Something which you can try out whilst table mounted- let us know how you get on.

One thing I've played with is using 1024x768 and embedding the 16:9 1024x576 image at the bottom of the screen (with X-card and Dcsler for DVD playback)- but good convergence is required for the extremes and tubes don't really want to spend their lives being zapped in one half only.

8. L3gion

L3gion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've basically been through the same process myself...started with this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144868&page=1&pp=15

Maybe it will help provide some inpsiration for how you might like to do it :)

This has all been on hold for me after a PSU failure put me out of action and I hadn't had time to repair it.

Repair is complete now, I'll post some more pictures when it's back up on the ceiling.

Jas

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jas,

Thanks for that - I hadn't spotted that thread in my reading....

that's a very neat bracket/install, I'll keep that approach in mind. if your instal works well with an extra 3.5 degrees of angle, I could well be ok. Having thought more about it, I'll be trying out the angled install during my trial period - it'll be the best way to be satisfied that it won't compromise picture quality, or at least not to an extent that would make me uncomfortable.

Thanks again,

Sean G.