1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Graphics 808 vs Data 801s

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by supersub, Jan 17, 2005.

1. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,
    i'm a newbie at crt and have a BD 801s at the moment, it seems well set up with an iscan pro line doubler, the image i think is very good, i've been offered an BG808 but it's got 35000 hrs on it although it does seem to be in good condition the hours run seem high, is the image that much better through the 808, as i've never seen an 808 in action is it worth changing.

2. ispra

ispra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno, but I have a Data 801s too. Tell me does the line doubler make a real improvement to the image?

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I made this exact same move (from a BG801s to a BG 808). The picture from an 808 will be noticably sharper than the 801s. The 801s is likely to be newer than the 808 (the manufacture date will be stamped alongside the serial number) and the electronics slightly better. You should be able to get a higher resolution from the 808 than the 801 (roughly 1280*720 compared to 1024*720, the difference is again noticeable)

Personally I'd go with the 808 as long as the tubes are of a similar condition to that of the 801s. If the 808 tubes are in a worse condition then I'd think twice about it.

Paul

4. ispra

ispra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PaulB,
    Can you confirm that with a DVI to VGA D/A Video Converter with HDCP from DTronics (which you flagged up in a previous thread) I will be able to get HD 1024x720 from of my Data 801s using my Mac which has a DVI output.
    I realise, of course that the source (DVD or video) has to be HD. But if the screen resolution of the MAC is set to 1024 x720 then these are the number of pixels which will get sent to the 801, right?

Presumably, in the future BluRay or HD DVD drives are going to become available.
    The HDCP is a bit beyond me, but in a nutshell the configuration suggested above is compatible?

thks

5. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the iscan pro line doubler it took me a while to get it set up, the VGA - BNC breakout cable caused me a few problems with in line connectors putting a white smear accross the screen, (high resistance joint?) especialy when titles were rolling, i remade all the connectors using BNC male to female this cured the problem, we sit about 12ft away from the 8ft screen and the image is excellent, running in VGA mode (nos 5 on the remote) no scan lines are visable and the colours are rich and sharp, a definate improvement over the old s vid cable that ran directly to the projector.
    Just need to make a hush box now for the pj as we sit underneath it and the fan noise is annoying.

6. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    The lenses can be removed for cleaning but if the crystal stuff is inside the lens then you clearly have a problem of some sort although whether its a leakage of something, ingress of water/damp or something else I'm not sure (never heard of this before).

The lenses can be taken apart I believe but I'm pretty sure its not an easy job and not one recommended.

I'd be very wary of a damp pj to say the least. Damp can and will cause damage to electrical/mechanical components. The cyrstal structure you are seeing may very well be related to the damp and if so, what else may be similarly damaged that you haven't seen!? Would you continue to use a damp TV?

As with all things electrical, you need to be exteremly careful with this. You've obviously had it working but thats not to say that it won't go pop at some later date. I'd certainly be worried about it shorting out or something.

The 808 is beginning to look attractive now - check the tube rating at http://www.crtcinema.com/crtratings.html , if you think the tubes are in the 6 to 10 catergory then its worth buying. 5 and below, forget it unless you are willing to spend money on replacing the tubes (approx £400 - £500 per tube). High hours on the chassis mean very little, its tube wear/burn that you need to go by.
    Paul

8. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is the crystal formation in the lens or in the fluid of the tubes? It sounds like it could be the infamous fungus problems (do a search on this forum)

9. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    the pj has been working fine for a year now, the damp smell disapeared fairly soon once the pj was used regular, i did re-seat all the boards befor i fired it up.
    Regarding the chrystals in the lens, they are definately in the glass lens area and look very similar to ice chrystals the blue has one in the middle (25mm dia)the red & green have them around the edges (2 or 3 @ 15mm dia), they all appear to be towards the back crt face of the lens.
    They are all transparent and do'nt seem to be getting larger, or impairing the image.
    Regards
    Brian

10. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Any chance of posting a photo of the crystals?
    Paul