1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Graphics 808 Install with Pic's.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Well I finally managed to get the projector I was after from forums member PaulB. It was really clean with good tubes and only had a few small tiny issues.

So with the Barco 800 I had, not working to it's full protential, and my review discs building up I needed the 808 installed as quickly as possible. To my rescue came James from www.crtprojectors.co.uk who said it would take two days and arrived on Monday at 12 noon. A quick look at the room and he began unloading his tools from the car and set about measuring the room and taking the 800 down.

The Barco 800
    [​IMG]

And now gone
    [​IMG]

When my Barco 800 had been installed a few years ago (theres a thread somewhere) I thought it wasn't placed centrally enough in the room by the installer, but had assumed it was maybe just the shape of the room. James however checked things and they were not right, so he re-measured everything and marked out where the 808 would go.

Is that a laser in your hands? James uses Sci-Fi technology to get the centre line just right
    [​IMG]

Once the centre line was found the new hanging bracket was measured out and the first straps put on the ceiling. If you look closely at the photo below you will see the holes for the original 800 install, these were a staggering 22.5cms off centre to the left. I obviously was never going to get the best from the 800 like that, and on a 9ft ceiling mounted flush, ah well.

First straps installed
    [​IMG]

Next James removed the original hangers from the bottom of the 808 and added the second stage of his hanging device (designed by him it looks industrial but allows movement on all planes for fine tuning of the placement).

Bracket attachments added to the 808
    [​IMG]

Next step was to check everything was flush and to add the correct drop for the Projector. This meant that the 808 is at the best position to offer the maximum focus and brightness without running components too hard, allowing the projector to work at it's best.

Double and Triple checking everything
    [​IMG]

This part of the install took the longest time, about 6 hours or more, just to get things just right, and that was to prove critical later on. By this point I had a thumping sore head due to tiredness from working excessive hours for the last seven days and my enthusiasm was begining to wane. But before much longer it was time to get the 808 loaded to the lift.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Loading to the lift
    [​IMG]

Next was alignment and getting the angles and corners perfectly flat, James's design for a bracket is brilliant thinking and allows so many adjustment paramaters.

Aligning
    [​IMG]

Making the adjustments
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This section of the install was also very time consuming, but James insisted he had a plan and he certainly was taking his time with the first parts of the install, boring but extremely necessary.
    After about an hour of fine adjustments to the height and distance, without even powering the 808 up, we were ready to remove the lense caps and fire her up.

Finally in place
    [​IMG]

Next up James set to work making adjustments to G2 and other pots inside the 808 making sure he got everything right before even lokking at convergence. Lenses were moved and then recentred, rasters were set and then double checked along with the pots. After another couple of hours we were finally ready to check on the convergence. This was the point that blew me away. Because James had taken his time with the position, distance and height of the projector and then took his time adjusting the pots etc, when it came to convergence it was simple stuff with everything between 40 and 70 on the read outs, nothing was pushed hard and we had no problems with any corners, the entire image was sharp and well focussed. We had a break here and then set about setting blocks up for various sources, James fine tuning each over a number of hours. Then it was time for a curry and a sit down to watch some stuff through the Iscan at 480p and 576p. Great stuff indeed but James had an ace up his sleeve. He had brought with him a Duece HD scaler so he could set up blocks for me at higher resolutions and watch 720p on NTSC and 768p on Pal was mind blowing! I had never heard of this scaler, and indeed it was a second hand unit James carried with him to installs. It was so good i had to buy it and after some negotiation it was mine for a very small price indeed.

The Duece HD Scaler
    [​IMG]

So what are my thoughts?

Well I am dumbfounded at the quality of install that James has done here. He took his time over two days to give me the best quality picture possible, and it is stunning. Tom arrived this morning to pick up the 800 and i gave him a quick look starting the 808 from cold and he was well impressed. He was getting ris of his Panny 500 LCD to try the 800 and I am sure he will become the latest CRT convert after seeing the 808.

How does it compare with the 800? To be honest it is in a different world. Set up correctly CRT can offer the sharpness, detail, focus and colours that quite simply LCD and DLP will never better in the coming years. How long have we heard that things are getting better and they are catching up? Every year? I think so. Why wait? You can get the best in quality now and it is CRT, and I cannot recommend James and www.crtprojectors.co.uk enough.

Thank you James, you are a Genius!!!!!

Well Chuffed!!!!!

p.s. James even had time to pop over to another forum members to sort his machine out staright after mine. The guy never stops and I hope Jeff got sorted.

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Can certainly vouch for the pq on this unit. :thumbsup:

Having seen it briefly this morning it has just made my mind up that crt is miles and miles better than lcd. :(

Adrenochrome.

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Nice install Phil, look forward to some screenshots ??

I'm sure the 808 does have a nice PQ over the 800 PJ you had before. :D

Must be the icing on the cake for your cinema now.

Cheers

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Phil,

New PJ looks awesome. Is it the BG 808 or the 808s?

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Standard 808. Thanks for the comments guys.
    As for screen shots, theres no way i would be able to show the real qualities such as depth and focus with a digital camera.

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Will try to capture some screen shots, won't look as good via camera but might come out ok.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    That's fantastic! I know exactly how you feel. :clap:

Great review. :thumbsup:

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Ok I tried to take some screen shots, using a 4m digital camera with flash off and iso @ 400. They didn't come out as well as i expected and most of the depth of field and sharpness has gone. But they were asked for so here you go.

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Phil
    I'm well chuffed for you!

It's about time you had a decent projector :devil:

I know how much you love your home cinema, and i do know the Barco will do justice to your DVD reviews.

Reading your post, brought back memories of the day my baby left... :( (see pic)
    I miss the bond between a CRT and it's owner! :laugh:

But, time moves on and i don't regret swapping to the S3 DLP.
    Maybe if i had more time and money, a Cine9/G90 CRT would still be my first choice.

Knowing you and the effort you are willing to put in, i think you made the right choice.
    It should serve you well until 1209s/Cine9s drop in price! :smashin:

Attached Files:

11. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Phil
    First I must thank you for allowing me to leach in on your work to get James into the NE.He sure is a fair guy and examined my CRT location, settings ,focus before telling me that I had done a pretty good job myself but was fairly confident he could improve on it he gave me a price and I decided to let him do his stuff for the afternoon whilst I returned to work.
    When I returned home four hours later he had done wonders - the software had been brought up to date in the 808s and he had corrected a few things I didnt have set properly inside such as moving magnetic rings to make the projected dots perfectly circular among other techy things which I had long forgotten about since my self install.Best things were the focus he achieved using scheimflug ,manual and lectric focusing and also he set the colour balance to a much more natural level.
    James is an enthusiast who could not simply turn up take your money and try to get out with as little work done as possible- He sat with me for an hour or so showing his demo disks and convincing me entirely that the CRT is still the projection king.
    To Phil and James - Many Thanks.
    Also Phil I will be phoning you soon to borrow a demo disk you have if you will allow me to rip it to my hard drive and I wouldn't mind popping up sometime also to see how your system now performs with the active speakers and new CRT.
    Cheers

12. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the pics, Phil.....i'm sure they'll look better in the flesh.

The pics on the www.crtprojectors.co.uk, look amazing and just goes to show.how nice CRT pics look over the rival formats.

Look in the General FAQ section, and the question "Roughly what does a CRT projector image look like?"

After seeing these pics, gives me upgraditus again !! :D :laugh:

Cheers

13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Cosmic,
    I knew the screenshots would not do justice to the actual image, but they were asked for.

Paul,
    Thanks for your comments, I really am chuffed with the outcome. I saw a DLP PJ in action yesterday and even though it was watchable it was no where near as natural looking or as sharp as the 808. When looking at the picture I am getting it reminded me of the Cine 7 at Event 1 and the amazed feeling I had then. Glad I finally have a "decent" PJ myself.

Jeff,
    Glad everything worked out well for you. James really does love his work and the end product is amazingly good. You are more than welcome to pop over whenever you like, just check I am not working first.

I watched three films back to back llast night and still can't get over the clarity and depth of the image, wish I didn't have to go back to work, I could spend another few days just going through my collection.

14. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Threads like this makes me realise how lucky I am. I also have a BG808s with a Rock pro and every now an then I wonder if the grass is greener in DLP land. I have had mine almost 3 years now and it has done about 2500 hours since I bought and got it installed by Roland.

I am sure in the next 2 or 3 years affordable digital projectors will start to equal or even overtake CRT in terms of picture quality. Until then I will continue to enjoy my setup.

Enjoy your new toy Phil and thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Darren