1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data PC won't start

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Barne, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Barne

Barne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Barco Data P/C (R9000280). Produced jan 1987.

The problem is that it won't light up.

It's connected to a RCVDS 400 S QUAD.

When I push the "on" button the fan starts and a pulsing noise follows as long as it's powered up. I think the noise comes from de second card, the one right after de first power-card. If I disconnect the Remote-cable the pulsing noise stops, but it won't light up anyway.

I have no unit connected to de RCVDS. Only the Remote, RGB and Sync is connected between the PJ and den RCVDS. Internal Pattern is selected on the conv. board.

What can be wrong?

2. ralphot

ralphot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me like a switched power supply problem. But if your fans are running and are 12 V type there should be some power from the supply. But if the fans are mains supplied the the supply is likely damaged. You have to measure voltages where you can find them or get another supply card (Curt Palme has some).

When I got my BA600 it was completely dead. There was a tiny capacitor in the power supply board that was short circuit. When replaced all started up!

3. Barne

Barne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pulsating noise comes from the area with a red circle (picture below). Do anyone know how/where I can repair it? I'm used to computer electronics but this monster has a lot of big capacitors, and I don't like to be electrified.

Attached Files:

4. ledoctt

ledoctt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Your CRT Data PC have the upgrade with the two fans who are fixing on the top of the cover?? .. Because the transistor of deflexion can breaked on this model.....

Be careful the SM power supply that you have , have been eliminated by Barco because it's dangerous for all electronics board because when there 'is default on primary , all DC tension on secondary have been doubled..

ex 17v became 34v!! etc..........

5. ralphot

ralphot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have repaired switched power supplies before and the method I use is this:

Pull out the board. Measure all the tiny capacitors for shorts or damages. Maybe you have to desolder the capacitors befor measuring. Sometimes capacitors can look "fermented". If capacitors are OK, check all diodes, transistors by measuring with universal instrument - ohm reading or transistor tester. If you are lucky you can find a broken component, replace it and the supply starts working again. Maybe you should disconnect the sockets from the tubes when testing for safety.

Ralph

6. javers

javers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, somebody else out there has a Barco Data PC! I've got two, both of which have dead smps's. Oh btw might be worth mentioning the fans on these are mains voltage not 12v so if the fans are running it can be a bit of a red herring.

Jon