1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 808s : Red Tube alignment problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Leon Rees, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK... here's a another question about my Barco...

At the convergence midpoints (50), the blue and green tubes are fairly well aligned. However, on the red tube, there is a significant drop on the left side of the screen that is requiring some hefty convergence to pull into line.

How can I correct this drop so that I'm not having to use such extreme convergence correction for the red tube?

Thanks for your help!

Leon

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Leon,

I'm a bit confused. When you say drop do you mean the Skew is out and that the cross hair is also lower than you would expect as well?

Gordon

3. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon...

I guess I'm saying that the skew is off ... the left hand side of the grid pattern has the horizontals for the red tube skewing to a much lower level that for the blue and green.

I can't see a way of adjusting the skew from a menu option... at least not specifically for the red tube

4. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eric...

I know the board you mean... and that's great for centering the single cross hair during the installation process...

... is that the pot to use if the left side of the red tube is skewing badly?

I was wondering if a slight twist of the focus block would help?

Leon

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    If there is twist, you should undue and twist the red yoke (only slightly). If you have avia go into their cross pattern (its better as it goes all the way to all four sides) and average out the twist this way. Dont forget to set convergence to mid point before hand.
    best wishes
    Eric

6. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... I'll give that a try!

Out of interest, Eric, what are you running your Quadscan at? Is there a discernable difference between Triple TV and XGA... also is there any difference between what the Quad calls a 16:9 mode and a 4:3?

Thanks again!

Leon

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Leon,

I'm not familier with your 808. The 800 I have doesn't have skew control either on Red or Blue I think.

The first thing I'd do is set all back to mid point and do a mechanical convergence again. See if you can get it better.

I'm going to delve inside my 800 sometim eat teh weekend I think and see if I can locate a way to adjust skew internally. I'd ask Eric or post on AVS for a solution though. I can't help more until I start to try and play/break mine.

Gordon

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    At the rear end of the 808s open the metal cover (the larger of the two).
    You will find that this swings down (towards the screen)
    You will see a number of cards. One of these (I will email you as soon as I reach home and let you know exactly which one this (around 5pm) is the vertical board.
    This Vertical board has 3 (coloured) screws that should be turned with a plastic tweeker. If you dont have one use a small electrical flat head screwdriver and tape the exposed metal only leaving the last couple millimetres exposed.
    This is very easy to do.

Eric

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Leon
    Can it be sorted with the course corner adjustment in the convergence menu?.

If it was the yoke it would affect Left/right and North/South

How much Horizontal skew have you used in the geometry setting?

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    Sorry for the late reply again. Moving office so I'm up to my ears in it.
    I use a Cinematrix moded (psm-1) Sony 7700 dvd player running at 960p. On film based material its out of this world. I've seen good HTPC's, The CI and Quadscan scalers and can tell you that I've only seen it(Cinematrix) bettered by the Fara 3000 ...(I have not yet seen The Rock or Vigitec.
    scalers)
    Eric