1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 808s problem -- diagonal lines, way too bright and then switches off

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by koentav, May 26, 2005.

1. koentav

koentav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my projector for nearly four years now and it has been working really well. I got it from an ebay seller, and even though I've heard some ebay horror stories, I must have been lucky. The green tube is showing some wear but it's still bearable.

One evening while watching a film I said to my wife that "if the barco broke, we would really miss it wouldn't we?" to which she wholeheartedly agreed. Unbelievably the next day the barco packed in. She is convinced I've done something to the projector and I must admit that the coincidence is a bit freaky!

Anyway, the symptoms are that when the projector is switched on, with or without input signal, it displays a light grey image (as if the brightness was set way too high) and some diagonal white (scan?) lines. When there is an input signal the image is visible but totally washed out by the brightness. The projector shows this image for about ten seconds and then switches the image off, probably deciding that so much brightness can't be very healthy.

The first time this happened I managed to get the PJ working again by going to standby, and then powering up again. However it started doing this more frequently, sometimes the brightness would go up while watching a film until it would suddenly go into this really bright mode again and switch off. Now it just always stays in the bright mode whatever I do.

The only reference I found to the diagonal lines was the G2 setting being too high. I fiddled a bit with the potentiometers but it didn't make any difference really.

All leds in the projector are green as far as I can see. No errors are being flagged up, even when the PJ switches the image off. There is one red led that comes on when there is no input signal, but I think that is correct anyway.

I hope someone will be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance,

Koen.

2. Kjelli

Kjelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tube showing the diagonal lines is broken Im afraid.

On the 800 model these lines indicate a broken circut and can be repaired.
    on the 808 model these lines indicate a short circut in the tube, making the G2 go crazy. As you stated, adjusting the G2 made no effect.

I have seen this before, and despite every effort, a new tube was the only solution.

Kjell

3. koentav

koentav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kjell,

Thanks for your reply. What is strange though is that it seems to happen on all tubes at the same time, which makes me think that it is a problem somewhere at the input stage, rather than a problem with one of the tubes. It even looks like the whole tube goes too bright, rather than just the raster area, but I would have to check that again tonight. I'm a bit worried firing it up too often though in case it would inflict further damage.

Thanks,

Koen.

4. Kjelli

Kjelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, if its on all three tubes then I must be something else. Not exactly what I thought it was, I understood it was on just one tube.

See if you can get a photo of the situation.

Kjell

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think this is either your G2 diagnostics board gone down
    or the ABL (auto beam level) cut out.
    It won't be a tube (or rather very unlikely)

You can switch the abl off for a bit (just to get you working for a while)
    Have a look on the vertical shift board (one in the middle with the x2 brass topped shift poetentimeters) Board is the only one with a daugher board on it. Imediatly under the pots is a switch to turn off the ABL. (Do it with Proj off) see if that cures your issue.

If it doesn't then I think your G2 board needs swapping out.

6. koentav

koentav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roland,

Thanks for that diagnosis. Unfortunately switching the ABL off didn't make any difference.

Looks like I will need a G2 board then. The fact that the problem deteriorated over a period of time rather than suddenly probably means that I won't come across a burnt resistor or something similar that I could easily spot and replace?

So second question is: where could I get a G2 board?

Thanks,

Koen.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's in the post or will be tuesday