1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BARCO data 808s converging problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AJ666, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AJ666

AJ666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am setting up my Data 808s from scratch. The vertical lines on the red tube are at a slight angle making convergence difficult. The appears to be no adjustment to the vertical lines seperate from the green. Is there any way of adjusting this fault BEFORE I start converging all the seperate areas of the screen ? Also looking for an internal line doubler for this projector - has anyone got one around £100 ?

2. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Setting up crt's really is an art,simply way too much to talk you through here, such as setting raster width for your chosen frequency, plus setting up the astigmatism rings and position of the mag focus yolks.

Vertical linearity also needs setting as do the thirty turn centring pots on the H and V boards.

In the meantime, the diagonal leaning over effect is totally normal for all barco's, but if most of the above are not set then it may be quite hard work setting convergence, if you have to get radical i.e below thirty and above seventy in a few area's then you will find it will most likely drift and generally be unstable, great units when set at their best though.

Henry has probably got used Barco lido (line doubler) units in stock, although it may be more prudent to get a seperate scaler.

james

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Hi James,

I didn't notice the 'leaning over' on Godfather's Barco, so why was that? Is it because it was minimal or is there a way to fix it?

We did have a white on black test grid up at one point, but I noticed that the convergence seemed pretty spot on, which is why I never mentioned it before. It was noticable by its abscence. :)

Gary.

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Sounds like your deflection yokes need adjusted - have a look at this http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808.htm . You can see the deflection yokes in the second from bottom picture. They rotate left/right around the tube (you need to slacken a screw that holds them in place). Rotating these will remove your problem I suspect.

DIRE WARNING - the above needs to be done with the pj switched on, BE CAREFUL, you can die from poking your fingers in the back of one of these!!!

Having said that, we've all done it and have lived to tell the tale! Here is a direct link to someone else who had this problem (on another forum) and also lived to tell the tale http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=442244&highlight=barco+deflection . Do a search for Barco on the forum and you should find many, many answers to any problems you encounter (NOTE - the forum also has an archive section where most of this information can be obtained).

The Barco is one of the easiest pj's to setup, you just need to do a little homework and learn as you are going along :thumbsup:

Try a PC rather than an internal line doubler, you'll get MUCH better results (do a search here for HTPC) or buy a scaler, more cost but easier to setup than an HTPC.
    Edit - remember to tighten the screw back up on the yoke . Not too tight mind you or you'll damage the tube!
    Good luck,
    Paul

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The excessive vertival leaning of the red is as James said common. It doesn't happen so often on the blue. In my experiance I have found this be the tube rather than an electronic failure
    It can be compensated by cracking the horizontal and vertical coils but the glue seems to be made from some sort of plastic concreate and can be very difficult to break. Unlike the plastic parts being held by it which are made from industrial rice paper. :)
    I would keep the horizontal line as close to the green as possible and work the vertical adjustments or you will end up with a bright or dark line through the centre of your picture.