Barco data 808 for 3000£

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by magking, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can get a Barco data 808 for 2500£ at QXL. With New green and blue tubes, and almoast new red tube. It's a little more than i had planned to use on the projektor, is it worth it? I would have to buy a screen later, some time next year because of the price. Is this worth the extra £ over a new LCD?
    Hope to get some quick response because it is only a litle over 2 days left, and if anyone lays 3200£ on the table they get it right away.
    Got some more info, it's from 1996 and has Panasonic tubes.
    What shall i do?

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's one or two things you probably need to consider buying a large CRT projector.

First, have you the room to have it permanently installed, they're pretty large (over a metre long and 76 kg's).

It will also need to be set up professionally to get the best from it. There's a few people on these forums who can help. Budget a good £500 plus for proper installation.

Secondly, it might be worth getting someone in the know to check it out, make sure the tubes are what they say and that other stuff is ok. I've just got an old 808 and I wouldn't have a clue about it, but I got it from a reliable source so feel happy that I'm definately gettign what I paid for.

Does it have a built in line doubler to smooth out visible lines on the picture? Blowing a DVD image up without scaling or doubling it could result in less than satisfactory results.

There's other people on this forum a lot more qualified to reply than me, but these are the things that have struck me during my searce for a projector.

Cheers

Nick

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,061
    One of the main things here should be a visit to the seller to examine the unit. You should also have some knowledge about what it is you are buying.

It is important that you can look at the unit in detail and see if the tubes are in good nick. Seeing the machine runnig is also mandatory.

I would be very warey of buying from an auction site. And if you decide to do so make sure you can write off the money if it is a dud.

I bought a used crt from a forum member, had a good look at it and only parted with a small sum which i could write off if a dud. There are experts here who can secure the machine you want for more or less the same money you are talking about. And these people will install and give great customer care and aftersales.
    I would love to give you a name but this maybe against forum rules, but think of the second letter in the alphabet and then the number between 3 and 5.;)

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Something not right here.
    I haven't seen the projector or know the full history.

But the PJ is up for less then the cost of the two tubes.

Either it is a true bargin and the person selling has no idea what it is worth - or...............

There is no way of telling when a tube was replaced only if.

I would tread very carefully. but you could get a bargin.

The BD808 is now quite old by CRT standards. It has no component input and will not take progressive scann from a DVD such as Dennon 2800 etc either. But would make a fine home cinema projector with scaller or HCPC. It would only accept negative sync but other wise a respectable machine.

good luck let us know what you decide to do.

5. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've decided to wait for a couple of years untill i've got some more money. Ok, i'ts "only" 2500£ for the projector, but then ther is 1000£-2000£ more for the screen and setup. I'm only 23 just and started working after studiyng business and really can't afford this yeat.
    Thanks for the tips anyway.
    PS. I'm from Norway, would be difficult to get help from your experts over there.

6. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, just a thought,the 808 non "S" won't take Component Progressive but it will take RGB Progressive scan quite happily.Minor detail,but worth a mention in case anyone else is in the same boat looking at an 808.
    Henry

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Er............. isn't that what I said.

8. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Roland,but maybe not for those who don't know what the output of a HCPC/scaller would be. Only trying to expand some :)
    Henry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.