1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 801 Resolution

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog, Oct 3, 2003.

1. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Barco Data 801. I have been told the resolution is such that DVD player with 2.35:1 widescreen will displayed using all the DVD lines.

But how can that be so if the resolution is only 1024x720. Surely a widescreen dvd can only use half of those pixels.

Can some one clarify this for me!

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not quite sure what you're driving at. Max res of Pal dvd: 720x576 anamorphic. Can't remember what NTSC res is but pal is more anyway so lets consider that. This pal res is regardless of what aspect ratio i.e. 2.35:1 as stated by yourself. This is because all aspect ratios are within the 16:9 widescreen frame (PAL 720x576).

Yes dvd would use less then, so you don't need to run at 1024x720. If you're using HTPC send your barco 800x600 (ie greater but closer to 720x576). So you will see all 576 lines and when the vertical height of the picture is squished down by your projector all 576 lines will still be visible and the anamorphic image will look correct (geometrically).

Using greater resolutions requires some sort of scaling done by your HTPC but this still works. Bear in mind the limits of your projector though. Running at higher res will mean the lines are more likely to overlap. 800x600 should be optimum for extracting the full res of a dvd whilst not making the lines overlap and softening the picture. 1024x768 for 4:3. This is best for your 801 as I've heard quoted by people like Roland.

Also remember there is no real fixed res (only a maximum) of a crt pj so scaling is potentially easier than on fixed pixel type displays like plasma or conventional tvs.

Hope this helps.

cosaw

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Wide screen DVD I.E. 16x9 uses the same resoultion as a 4x3 DVD. ie 576
    A 1:2.35 film will have black bits top and bottom but these black bits will be in the video field.