1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 800 Setup

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Orbital, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I'm just waiting for Gordon of Stereo Stereo fame to send me my cable to link up my HCPC to the BD800 (I'm like a little kid at Christmas, the wife thinks I'm sooo sad). In the meantime I have some questions to ask you lovely people :) Firstly I hear a lot of talk of sweet spots for different PJ's and I wondered what the best resolution and refresh rate would be for the BD800?

Also after fiddling with the PJ whilst it was hooked up to my Sony DVD player I'm a bit lost as to how to save different settings for different display formats. I have managed to get it converged and wot not for PAL stuff but when I put in a NTSC disk it goes all over the shop! (CRT technical term that, I don't expect everyone to understand ;) ) So can anyone help?

Cheers

Dave

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when it comes to sweet spot it dipends realy on how far the pj is exactly from the screen and what aspect you are using . it's all about how much of the tube face you are using . the best thing to do is to install somthing like powerstrip and experiment .

you wan't to get it so that scan lines are just about touching without overlap . start at a low res then up it till you get a pic you are happy with

as for saving settings can't help you . if the data 800 and 801 are similar anough you can find a manual here http://beamer.xs4all.nl/Documents.htm if you don't have one

hope this helps :)

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Orbital
    A few pointers in 16x9 mode this projector will be best at 800x600 you may be able to push it to 1024 x720 if you PC will support it. But care full the 800 topped out at 59Khz(horizontal) so this upper resoloution at 75Hz may kick it over the thresh hold.

the 800/801 series must have negative syncs if you do not set this using software like "powerstrip" then the projected image will blank.

The projector saves automatically at every menu exit or ajustment.

As regards your all over the shop bit I know what you mean. the projector is using another block. Try this.

Go to to Pal source that is ok an play a source.
    Press adjust (top left on the hand contol)
    Go down to the service menu
    Select copy a block and press enter.
    The active block number is displayed at the bottom. (a number between 1 and 32) remember this number or if you are like me write it down.
    Press exit to come right out of the menus.

Now play your NTSC disk with all the funny settings.
    Do the same as above and go to copy a block.
    This time use the up and down arrows to find the block number from above.
    Press enter and this will copy all the good settings from the PAL memory block.
    Go all the way out of the menus.
    This bit is important,
    In order to save this new block you must change a setting i.e. colour up or down.

Presto it should now look OK.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Sorry but not true.
    Screen size has no bearing at all

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Roland,

Your a diamond :). I must admit I was a bit worried about trying to take the 800 over the edge as far as resolution and refresh rates are concerned. I just wish my cable would hurry up so I can start messing properly. Ohhhhh the anticipation of it all :D

Cheers

Dave

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but not true.
    Screen size has no bearing at all[/QB][/QUOTE]

sorry i did'nt meen screen size . i ment that if you move the pj back a little with the same size screen it will lower the sweet spot a little and the same the other way . i know we ar'nt talking a lot . just dipends if you want it spot on .

i sit pretty close so those few pixles of res mater more to me ;)

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right then Roland I've done what you said and it worked a treat :) but I still have a question for you (not more questions I hear you ask :)). I put in my region 2 copy of Bugs Life and all is well nice picture filling my 16:9 screen. Then I put in my region 1 Matrix DVD and the picture only fills the centre part of my screen leaving empty areas at the top and the bottom. The picture is ok it's just that it doesn't fill the screen. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Cheers again

Dave

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave thats because Bugs Life is a 1.85:! ish ratio ie close to 16x9 whereas Matrix is 2.35:1.

The latter will give you bars at top and bottom.

Regards Neil.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The black bits top and bottom are still picture area, its just recorded black.

If you turn the brightness up you will be able to see it.

As a general rule turn brightness to 40 and contrast to 70. In most cases that will give an almost perfect picture. each PJ is different

The bightness sets the black level an the contrast the whites and hightlights.

Tip to setting the blacks, get a film like your matrix with black bars top and bottom and adjust the brightness untill you can only just see a very faint difference between these black areas and the true black off screen.

You'll have to do it for PAL and NTSC.

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Waking up an old thread here, but not having much luck search for "sweet spot" on my BG801S

RE:Barco 800
    Having had a play with some different resolutions & refresh rates on my BG801S over the weekend I'm now feeling brave enough to create some separate blocks for PAL-DVD, NTSC-DVD, & HI-Def Clips(D-THeater Equiv I guess!)

Having seen my room Roland (and/or Gordon;)) What resolution/scan rate do you think I should be aiming for on these 3 blocks.

DVD-PAL:- ??? x ??? @ ???Khz
    DVD-NTSC:- ??? x ??? @ ???Khz
    Hi-Def Clips:- ??? x ??? @ ???Khz

I'm using a 10ft screen, if that makes any difference?

Thanks for any guidance:)

Mark.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Id suggest that they should all be same resolution just with different scan rates.

50Hz or 75 for PAL
    60Hz or INCOMING 60Hz video or film source material
    48/72Hz for incoming 60Hz film source material.

I presume you are using an HTPC?

To work out vertical resolution stick up a 100ire window box and see if you can see scan lines when you get up close to the screen. Keep reducing vertical resolution until you can see a slight space between the scan lines.

Gordon

12. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OH! Ok thanks, that's interesting...I remember seeing somewhere about using different resolution for NTSC & PAL based material. Something like 1024 X 600 for PAL & 1024 x 720 for NTSC? With Pal @ 75Hz & NTSC @ 72(71.952)hz?

I was at 1280 x 720 @ 72hz and it looked pretty good, slightly soft but very "film-ic"..I now want to try and improve the sharpness:)

What does "Incoming 60hz" mean?

PAL Movies = 75hz or 50hz
    PAL Video Sourced = 75hz or 50hz

NTSC Movies = 71.952hz or 47.968hz
    NTSC Video Based Material = ?

Yes, I use TT & Powerstrip mainly & Nebula Freeview for TV

100ire window box...will this be something I'll find on Avia?

Thanks for your help,

Mark.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I meant any incoming 60Hz material at should go out at 60Hz if it is video source

Any incoming 60Hz material that is film source should be tried at 48/60/72 out.

The idea of going out at a multiple of the incoming signal resolution is, imho, a throw back to poor scaling engines. Modern devices should not have such a problem. The issues you might have would be with a 720P HD source and trying to output it at a lower res from the PC. I have just been helping out at an ISF course up in Scotland and one of the things we had a look at was Wndows Media XP playing HD and outputting it at 800x600. Looked NASTY. However that may have been due to the processing in the scaler trying to upscale that signal to 720P natie of its panel. Just a warning really.

The idea with the PJ is to get each scan line to almost touch the next. In Advaced AVIA, TEST PATTERNS, GREYSCALE, WINDOW PATTERNS, you will find 0-100ire window boxes. I suggest 100ire as it will be brightest pattern you are likely to see and if there is any blooming limiting resolution you will be able to take that in to account on this pattern.

Gordon