1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 800 Problems - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Well I settled down last night and began watching some movies last night in my new cinema room.

Everything was going great but when i started the third movie, Half way through the tubes shut down, but the fans continued to work and there was obvious power still going to the unit. When i switched standby the PJ kept trying to power up but was just making a pulsing noise and no picture.

I unscewed the lid to investigate and nothing seemed to be too warm, but an led on the control unit was flashing next to processing cycle.

I then disconected the unit from the power supply and left it for 15 mins. I then powered her up again and hey presto she fired up straight away and i was able to watch the end of my movie.
    The projector was running fine for 6 hours before the shut down.

Then tonight i sat down again to watch three more movies(days off are the only time i have to catch up!) first two passed fine with no problems, but you guessed it 10 mins into movie three the very same problem reoccured. Again i disconected from the main power supply and after 15 mins she powered up straight away.

I have a sneaky suspicion that she is overheating some how but i have checked all the fan and other cooling vents and all seem free from junk and working. The owner manual gives no indication that the unit will shutdown when overheating. I also remember reading that some power supplies cause thia problem because of poor soldiering when manufactured.

So anyone have any ideas? The unit is ten years old and has 6077hrs on the clock. :confused:

2. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take the cover off, run it that way for a while and see if it shuts down. That should rule out any heating problems.

Which led flashes?

If you have further problems, try the Barco forum or AVS Forum

Regards,
    David

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: larsan ]

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think it just flashed over and shut the EHT down which is what is supposed to happen. Nothing to worry about.

If the processor LED doesn't flash it's not processing it is waiting for a comand.

Don't run an 800/801 without the cover for along time it needs this on to get full air flow.

4. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I once had a problem similar to this but Chris Frost pointed ut that a circuit board might be loose and this cured the problem immediately.
    Wont do any harm to pull the boards and re-insert them tho

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good thinking.

Once you turn that bass up it can work them loose.

Favorite thought on this at the moment is that the Switch mode power supply may have a dry joint which is common in the older projectors. (ahem, and some new ones)

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Well I am getting no where very fast with this problem, it still persists and is infact getting worse!:(

I took all the boards out one by one and cleaned them with a light compressed air. There was a lot of gunk on the boards. I also looked for any sign of cracked soldier and couldn't see anything obvious.

I put the boards back into the unit and fired her up. Everything was going grand for 10mins then she shut down again. She now shuts down every 10-60 mins. When i say shut down the fans and electrics keep going it is the tubes cutting out. Then after a few minutes the unit makes a pulsing sound as it tries to fire up again, it then switches itself off.

One thing i have noticed is that there is a red led light which comes on when the tubes shut off.:confused: this board is 4 boards in from the right (looking from the tubes to the back of the unit ceiling mounted). I have no idea what this board is for but this light always comes on when it shuts the tubes off.:confused:

Anyway i am waiting for Roland ( a god like person who is our (barco owners) saviour) to get back to me with some ideas and hopefully some spares to try out to resolve the problem, but i would love to hear from any other Barco owners who have had the same or similar problems and how you solved them.

I am now in a fit of dispare as i spent all that time putting my cinema room together and a small fortune on install costs etc, for this to happen, and not being able to watch anything on the PJ.

The unit is ten years old and has some other small faults with it, but these can be expected for the money paid for the unit, but at the moment it is not worth the hassle.

I AM SO DEPRESSED :(

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hang in there Phil!!!.

I bet you feel like givening it all up. :(

Thats how i was feeling a few weeks back while waiting for a suitable PJ to turn up!.:rolleyes:

I like you had spent a lot of time and effort(never mind expense) to make a Home Cinema room that i could not use!. So i know your frustrations at not being able to resolve it quickly. :mad:

There is no quick way round it (apart from going and buying a new one!). I sure Roland will get back to you soon about the power supply board etc.

Just a quick question:- Do you hear a loud click or arcing sound from the tubes just before it shuts down?. Roland mentioned moving the projectors around can cause this to happen.

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Yes it makes a click as the tubes go off, power keeps going as do the fans, then it tries to power up again and makes a pulsing sound!

"help me obi one b4 projection, your my only hope":rolleyes:

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dear depressed Data 800 owner.

Bad news the projector at the back was a Graphics not a Data they are different.

4th board in from either end is the TTL or 3rd input board and doesn't have any Red Leds on. I think what you are seeing is the scan fail light.

I don't belive this is the power supply now becuase you have not mentioned the clicking and the resarting bit before.

Try this.
    On the front of the projetor above the lenses is an enomous board the whole width of the projector. This houses the Convergence board. It is the only board you can safetly run the projector with out. switch the projector off and pull the board out by about an inch. (don't take it right out they are buggers to get back in. fire the projector back up. (the convergence will obviously be out,no board) but does it still shut down?

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Roland,

Is this the one on the outside of the case at the front above the lenses(ceiling mounted) if so it is loose!

I cant see anything inside the unit like you describe.

Am i on the right track?

Thanks for your help.

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Right having reread your post i have looked at the fron of the PJ and the said board held in by two screws was not lying completely flush.
    I have taken this off and moved it out an inch and put the PJ back on and so far it is running fine, fingers crossed.

Roland if the PJ does not switch off then what does this mean?

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Loose as in the screws not done up I hope.
    It's the big board about 30mm high by 600mm wide It has the RS232 in/out and the IR and remote plug. It is held in be a number of tiny screws not all of which need to come out but I can't remeber which ones they are. Prise the big pannel forwards about an inch. It won't fall out its nearly 600mm square.

What I'm trying to get to see if the covergence board is giving an i2c error.

As I say its quite safe to run without this card but the red and blue pictures will go all over the place. (projector will remeber when you put it back)

we'll get you a picture back don't panic.

13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Cheers Roland,

She has been running 30mins so far and no problems so far.Board is out 1 inch.

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Once it has done a fair bit ie well past when you know it would have failed.

Switch it off again and push the convergence board back in. Need to make sure this is what is casuing the failure. Hopefully it will shut down again.

Then we can get it repaired.

Can you confirm the product code from the label on the back should be 9000540

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Cheers Roland,

The PJ run for 6 hours with the board out (just to make sure) and no cut out.

I have this evening put the board back in and she is running now, so will update in an hour or so. I am nightshift tonight so might not get round to pulling out the board for that product number till tromorrow.

Thanks again, and i am no longer dpressed, well not till i get the bill for the replacement! Most expensive board in the unit!:eek:

Thanks again Roland you are a star:blush:

16. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    OK,

The board has been back in 3hrs with the mummy showing for the thied time and no cut out Yet!

Hopefully this has sorted the problem fingers crossed

And many thanks so far to Roland and Paul for all your advice.

Will update again if this problem rears it's ugly head again!

17. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well???

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Well it has cut out again, after being on 2hrs today shut down like normal. I will take the board out and get that number Roland.

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Hva etaken the board out completely and have sent an e-mail with the number for you Roland.

I am running the pj again without the board just to double check that it is the cause of the shut down problem.

Like i have said in my e-mail i am working shifts till Wednesday so will update when i can, and thanks again for your help and advice.;)

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Run without the board for 4 hrs and no shut down. It would appear this is the cause of the problem.

21. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Phill
    I think the reason that it takes longer to shut down without the Conv board is it draws less current, therefore take longer to heat up, not because the Conv B is faulty.
    I think we are back to the power supply.

Bad news I don't have one.
    Good news I'm working on it.

22. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    This is turning into a real Saga,

I have had a good look today at the pj and especially the power board and can't see anything obvious, but then again i am not sure what it is i am looking for.

The thing cuts out as regular as the bus timetable, so i have given up and switched it off till i decide what to do.

Thanks for your help Roland it is appriechiated and if you can get me a new board then that would be excellent.

Looks like i will be without the Barco for sometime, unless a power board pops up quickly for Roland.

I think the depressed marker will have to go back below my name, and a fit of depression will no doubt settle once more.

Suposse this is a good lesson in buying second hand CRT, go to the experts! ( at least if you get problems they will sort them for you). It was only £600 so i was prepared to risk it, and if it gets fixed great! If not then i am sure I know someone who will take it off my hands and supply a new crt.

Off to think..............maybe sometime..................................

23. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I pick up your Power supply on Friday morning. I need to do some work on it then its yours.

Bet you 800's fall out ths sky next week. (Not yours obvoiusly)

24. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Roland,

Thank You !

25. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Just to keep you all updated,

I recieved a new (used) power board from Roland this morning, and have swopped it over.

Now off to watch some movies and fingers crossed that it stays on!:D

26. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I will check back at ten(ish)pm.
    Let us know! :D

27. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    The news at 22:50hrs

all's well at the moment!

28. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice to here things seem to be going well . keep us updated:)

29. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Right Then next update,

The Pj was on for 8 hrs last night, no probs. I left a film on repeat for 2 hrs to let her warm up. I then went and did the convergence till it was spot on and then watched Two movies back to back, and the an episode of Falty Towers. There was no dreaded shut down. YES!
    But one thing i did notice was that the room gets very very warm with her running, and for some reason i accidently pressed power off on the DVD player and then switched it back on, the convergence had gone a little?

I am not counting my chickens just yet, i will run her a few more times and just double check that everything IS alright.(last time i took the conv board out and put it back in the unit ran ok for one night, so will just check it out before saying it is fixed).

Fingers are still crossed, and hopefully by Monday i will have a change to check everything out.

Roland, thank you for the trouble and phone calls. Guys the customer care services are fantastic! Try finding someone like Rolly on the high street!:D ;) ;) ;)

30. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds like it did the trick.
    Large variations in temp will make a CRT go out of convergence. as the chasiss expends and contacts.

Before you do any covergence make sure that your PJ is up to temperature.

Here's hoping it carries on working. when its done a week then I think you can relax.