1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 800 - not switching on

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WaldoMinny, Jul 19, 2005.

1. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just does nothing.... The fans go on, the leds go on but there are no light...
    I opened the cover and had a look, the leds indicating the different voltages all burn yellow, there is 1 red one for Fail Scan. The tubes have a very flimsy glow but nothing is projected on the screen.

The question I have is where do I start troubleshooting.

The background. I never used this PJ. It was installed and used more than 10 years ago. The owner passed away and the PJ stayed ceiling mounted. I'm not sure what additional equipment (like amps or converters...) was attached but being in South Africa, it was donated to affirmative action (burgled).

Now I want to get the PJ up and running again. I haven't connected any input signal to it, I thought it would be best to first switch it on and see if the setup screen appears. Nothing!

Any advise would be welcome
    Thank you

Waldo Minny
    +2782901-2384

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Waldo
    This is a sad story. At first diagnostics I would say either you horizontal or Vertical scan board has failed due to the scan fail light coming on. The light comming from your tubes is probably a refection from other surfaces because once the scan fail trips it shuts the EHT circuits down.
    On an 800 I would check with a bright torch that the tubes have not burnt in the middle as these are prone to spot weld the middle of the tube if the spot supression circuits don't work.
    As the scan fail is a circuit that goes around in a loop around the whole projector it would be worth checking that all the boards are properly seated.

3. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I took the advice of Roland @ b4 and removed and reinserted all the cards in my Barco Data 800. The end result…. still the same… the Fail Scan LED shines bright. I noticed that the Controller Unit seems to work fine, with the processor LEDs flashing at the right times and the RCU led shining whenever I press any button on the RCU.

Now, what is the next step?
    Can I take out some of the boards and test or will I damage the PJ if it doesn’t have all the boards installed?
    I downloaded a service manual (in total 160Mb – a lot if you stay in SA… ;) to find out it is for the Barco Graphics 800. Will this manual assist me or where can I find a service manual for the Data 800 on the net?

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    DO NOT switch the projector on with the cards in you could fry the tubes.
    Service manual for graphics will be very close for a technician to repair the boards on a data.
    I would suspect the horizontal or vertical scan board at this stage.

5. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Waldo - the above is almost 99% what has happened

THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT - If the tubes are ALL damaged you should think about what to do, this should be your next step without question - or you might spend time and money to try and repair an item which might not be worth it. Take time and remove the lenses is the best way but start by looking throught the lens, you are looking for a "dot" or "stiched line" or similar which might have marked the tubes.

This was well worth checking as it could have been a very easy fix. Point 2 must be followed next.

Rolands advice is without question some of the best you will get, this will not be a quick fix so be prepared for it to take time.

I am a great fan of the early 800 series Barco's BUT I would honestly consider the upgrade to an 801s or the 701s 708 series - newer, better and to be honest at the cheap end of the range but still a very good picture.

6. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland, just to confirm you said:
    Did you not mean OUT?

Tonight I'll check the tubes. I'll look for spot welds.... not exactly sure what this burns should look like but I'm sure I'll notice anything wrong.

OK, let's hope for the best and take it that the tubes are not damaged. If this is the situation and it is suspected that it is the horizontal or vertical scan board is the problem, how do I test them?

Again, thank you for all the advice. I'm not even sure if there is a service or retail company in SA that would know about the Barco, let alone fix it.

Thank you
    Waldo

7. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    check out

http://www.nine3media.com/tuberatechart.htm

this is a very well know tube rating info

dont panic the deflection fail shown is very bad to show what it might look like (and sometimes does!)

what you are looking for is like a pin head mark or obvious line in the front of the tube.

Feel free to take a digital picture of the tubes, you need about 5 posts to show it here, so you are nearly there ! the picture will be most helpful as always difficult to explain.

Fingers crossed they are all fine.

8. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a bright torch in the hand I looked into the tubes/lenses. Not sure what to look for I scanned through every millimeter of white space and saw nothing. Then the next tube, this time the white was more green, with the last lens/tube it was red. Back to the first one to see why it is not more blue than white. It stayed fairly white, maybe it is my flashlight, maybe the other two shouldn't be red & green...? OK, I believe they are fine. Now to test my Horisontal & Vertical Scan boards.

The question is how do I test them?

9. mrking

mrking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. The green is supposed to be green and the red is supposed to be red and the blue is supposed to be white so no harm there.
    These tubes (07MP) are color filtered for better colors. The blue isn't color filtered because it needs all the light output it can produce I believe.

The spotburn can be as little as a tiny little pixel but once projected grows to the size of a quarter or something.

If you have a spotburn that tube is utterly useless to some people but other find it endurable since the tubes are in great condition other than that.

There really isn't a easy way to test your horizontal or vertical board without a spare working unit to seat them in.
    Or a working spare part to replace it with.

But it shouldn't be too hard to find someone that can you lend you the parts you require.
    Are you located in UK or US?

10. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MrKing, thank you for the reply. I'm from the rainbow nation (South Africa), and I know that the previous owner imported the machine directly way back in 1990 or 1991. Thus, I don't know if there would be anyone within 10,000km or $500 that can or will lend me a card.... A better bet would be to ask the local midnight shoppers if they have seen a Barco 800 somewhere while they snatched DVDs, Video machines and TVs. If my PJ was not as heavy and/or ceiling mounted it would have been robbed by now. Hey, maybe that can be a new marketing approach for PJs in SA. No wait, maybe I'm giving you the wrong impression of SA. It is a great country and I wouldn't swop it for another. It learns you not to ge too attached about material stuff and money ;)

Thus, how do I test them. I will start looking out and advertise in the papers for old parts.... companies tend to through big PJs out without knowing the value.

Waldo

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Waldo this is the agent for Barco in SA

Questek
    52 Grosvenor Rd
    2152 Bryanston
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Tel. +27 11 706 0405
    Fax +27 11 706 0308
    questek@questek.co.za
    www.questek.co.za

I would lay your heart on the line and hope that they could put you in touch with someone who has a dead 800 but working H&V boards

12. WaldoMinny

WaldoMinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Roland. I'll contact them straight away.

Waldo