1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Data 701 series with Toshiba SD510 DVD player

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by torkus, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torkus

torkus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of buying a crt Barco 701 PJ soon and wanted to know if it will be OK at accepting a feed from the o/p of my Tosh SD510 player via the progressive scan connection?

I understand that the Barco does progressive scanning for region 1 DVDs.

The supplier I bought my DVD player from said that it is NOT macrovision disabled! :( so I thought I'd check with the techies at Toshiba UK and they re-assured me that there shouldn't be a problem outputing a signal through the component phonos of the player into the projector. Can anyone confirm this?

All feedback would be appreciated!

:confused: :confused:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I don't think the 701 had component inputs. I'd be surprised if you can output progressive component straight to it.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    2+2=4 Guessing Raj ;)

BD701 + Progressive scan YES and no.

Progressive scan DVD players output their signals in component form(Y, R-Y, B-Y). Up until very recently the only signals working at these sorts of frequecies was High Definition TV (HDTV). As a genral rule to get Progressive scan to work on an older projector you have to trick it to think that it is getting an HDTV signal. All of the Barco 700 range FROM 701,701s,708 will accept Prog Scan component video. (PAL and NTSC)

so thats the YES bit.

the No bit is

Barco and many of the other CRT manufacuters use a system called ABL (automatic black level). It measures the voltage on the sync pulse at the start of each line to make sure that its black levels are correct for the differing types of video signals. Fine for HDTV because no one would be able to just copy that.
    But along comes Mr Macro and a buch of clever clogs who decide to put a thing called Regional Code Enhancements (RCE) on the sync pulses too, so your poor projector that was looking for a nice stable HDTV sync signal is presented with a sync pulse that is changing in level.. Your projector then tries its best to keep the black level in touch with this ever changing voltage.

The resulting picture can look like the brightness is being turned up and down over a 5 second period..:confused:

Hence the reason it is better to have the macrovision disabled:cool:

RCE is a Region 1 thing, the disks I have are Hollow Man and fast and Furious.

4. torkus

torkus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Roland, I will bear it in mind!
    ;) ;)

Yes, you guessed right! It is ol' Raj - You should have become a detective!!!

:D :D

I also read in an article somewhere on the net (can't remember where exactly) that Marcovision couldn't be implemented through the progressive scan way! something to do with imcompatibility.

So, my friend, there maybe hope!

There's only one way to find out, plug the player into the projector and see what happens!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    There is macrovision copyprotection on NTSC progressive outputs. There isn't on PAL progressive, if you can hack your player to do it.

Gordon

Thanks Roland. Another lesson learnt

Gordon

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    I had a go with a 701 the other day and played R1 progressive with no problems. It was through 5 Wire BNC (RGBHV) from the 7700 Cinematrix moded player.

Eric

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This still depends on the player and the software level. I've seen Denon 2800's with NTSC macro free but with it active on PAL. It's easy to get round with the a S/W update but confusing as hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.