Barco data 600 scan fail

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Billy Davies, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently rescued a skip bound Barco data 600 projector & rcvds 400 controller after my university had a refurbishment of its engineering lecture theatres. I got the projector going and set it all up by downloading a service manual. Everything was going great, and then after watching the england-spain football friendly disaster struck. I heard a pop sound, then the picture disappeared and the projector started to make a cyclic high pitch squealling sound.

I turned it off straight away, and then when I turned it back on (somehow thinking that it would have magically healed itself) there was no picture but the thing squealled away to itself. I noticed that the red led on the side was flashing (which from reading previous messages means scan failure I think), but all the other leds were on as normal. This is shown in one of the photos attached.

I also noticed that the green led on the board with the pot that controls the horizontal amplitude was flashing in sync with the red led and the squeal. (Bang in the middle of the other attached photo, next to the white plastic bit) The bendy light at the back of the projector also flashes in time to the squeal.

How can I resurrect the projector, as until now it was producing a pretty good picture. I am hoping that it is simply a power thing, and just a case of changing a fuse (I notice that there are four of them opposite the aforementioned flashing green led...).

Can anybody help me? (Roland if you have time I would be very appreciative of any thoughts.)

Many thanks,

Billy Davies

Attached Files:

2. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help me?

3. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay since the last post, I have been reading service manuals (barco 400 was the closest I could find online), but with limited success.

I also noticed that the projector sparks when I turn it on seemingly from inside the blue tube, and also there are blue sparks on the little square circuit board next to the blue crt tube (see attached photo). Since from what I have read from manuals and old posts the operating voltage of the projector is 34,700V I haven't been too keen to get stuck into the belly of the beast.

From an archived thread I was reading Roland @ B4 had replied to somebody with a similar problem with:

Anybody got any ideas?

:lease:

Attached Files:

4. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HI could be a crack tube if so look on ebay for a tube

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It might be worth pulling the EHT for the blue tube but it is unusuall for a tube to for scan fail. That would more than likely be either the vertical or horizontal deflection cards.

6. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestions received thus far. I just pulled out the eht lead that goes to the blue crt. I was quite impressed by the design, as the eht cable plug is about 2 inches long, so that the electrical contact is buried out of harms way to stop people like me getting too close to the 35kV that flows to the eht leads.

This seems like a step forward, as the projector is now out of scan fail (the red led on the side is not on). All six of the yellow leds are lit, as is the green when a video feed is attached to the projector. Both of the green and red crts light up, but they cannot seem to focus the picture. I set the convergence board to project the internally generated grid display, but it is not really defined at all, just a rectangle of light on the wall. Looking into the crts, it is clear that they are not focussing, seem brighter than normal, and also seem to be flickering (almost like the kind of flickering you see when a computer monitor is shown on tv and the refresh rate is revealed by the camera). The projector also seems to make a low volume buzzing sound similar to a noisy fly. This noise seems to be coming from near the group of leds that includes the scan fail led, immediately behind the blue crt (if you see what I mean).

Does anybody know what is wrong with the projector, I think that roland's suggestion that it might be a deflector card may be right, as the crt images cannot be focussed.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome

Thanks,

Billy

BTW does anybody know anywhere I can buy spares for my barco data 600 once I figure out which part will need replacing?

7. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Billy,
    i've got a data 600 in my garage taking up space, i rescued it from a skip, it stopped working so i got an 801s, if you want it for spares get in touch.

8. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer supersub,

I few questions for you if that is okay:

Do you know what is wrong with your 600, as at the moment I haven't really got that much of a clue as to what is up with mine, so I am beginning to lean to the cut my losses (in effort only as I haven't spent any cash) and run route, as the data 600 plus the rcvds 400 take up a pretty large part of our flat's lounge. But as an engineering student, the challenge of getting it up and running again is still tempting, and the big-screen picture was amazing.

Secondly I am a student at Bristol Uni, and from your profile I see that you live in Lincoln, is this still the case? I don't mind travelling to lincoln and back to pick up the projector (my parents lives in birmingham so I would attempt to persuade one of them to drive me the rest of the way and pick up the beast), but this may take some organisation.

Many thanks,

Billy

9. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Billy,
    If you say by disconnecting the blue tube, the red scanled stays off, then you may have found the problem...a bad tube or a bad splitter.

A red scanled indicates a bad quadrupler, splitter or tube.

Now, by disconnecting the blue tube, you had the red led going out. That leaves us with a bad tube or a bad splitter.
    Pull out the blue EHT cable and put the EHT cable from green in the blue's place. See what happens? If the problem stays (red scanled) you have a bad splitter. If the problem's gone, you have a bad blue tube.

Maybe G2's are set too high.
    How did you try to do focus?

regards

10. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice arbey, I did as you said and connected the green tube to the blue eht connection, and the red scan fail led did indeed stay off. Looks like the blue tube is the cause of the fault then.

The red and green tubes still seem to have the same flickering problems which I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread. Also the brightness of the red and particularly the green tube increases within about 20 seconds of being turned on to the point that the green tube seems to emit a pure square of green light rather than the grid pattern that it should do.

Unfortunately I do not know what G2s are, could you enlighten me?

I set the focus following the Barco manual for the data 600. I.e. I physically adjusted the lenses themselves first to get the grid patterns for each of the tubes sharp, and then adjusted the electronic focus knobs where necessary, but these adjustments were negligible.

Any more ideas, you're advice so far seems to be fairly spot on.

Many thanks,

Billy

11. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Billy,
    you can find the G2 controls on the big board (the one thats across the tubes) with all the adjustment pots. You see the switch for videosignal/internal grid pattern? If yes, next to that, look at the three little white wheels , one for each color. It says "grey scale adjustment" These are the G2 controls per color.
    To set G2: put in videosource with a black piece of film in it. Pause the movie at the black part, turn contrast down and brightness up. Looking in the tubes you'll see the raster (which is behind the actual active image) lightening up. Set all three G2 to the point where the raster seems to disappear in the background.

If you put the switch into "display internal generated pattern" and you look into the tubes, after setting G2, what do you see? If what you see is not in focus, try to adjust focus with the focuspots whilest looking into the tubes. After that, focus on the screen using the lenses.
    Ofcourse, when you're wearing glasses, it's hard to find focus on the fosfor.

You might first check if the deflection yoke is firmly attached to the bell of the CRT, this can also cause bad focus.

As for the squealing, maybe contrast set too high?
    It's never a bad thing to resolder the powersuply.

good luck

12. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried turning the g2s down and the brightness down on the rcvds and this did clean up the big block of green and red light into more of a grid pattern (remember I pulled the blue crt). However they were both blurry and still had the funny flickerering going on. Adjusted the optical focus and this made little difference. Turning the electrical focus knobs all the way up made a slightly bigger difference, but the pictures from the crts were both blurry.

When I ran a video feed to the projector from my toshiba dvd player I noticed that there were funnny dots flashing up on both the red and green crts (as shown in the attached jpeg). I think this may be something to do with the strange buzzing sound.

Is this situation terminal? I don't really know what happened to cause this damage, as the whole thing was runnning fine before and producing a good picture...and then a cracking sound and now this. D'oh!

Any further help appreciated, especially if you can illuminate what has gone kaput and what my next step should be.

Billy

Attached Files:

13. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, never had this one before...i have no idea!
    Is it visible on your screen?
    Did you put in rebuild tubes or are these original tubes?
    How do the tubes look without the lenses on it? Maybe dirt in the tube? Fungus?
    Are you sure all electrics are still (well) connected? Are the HTleads clean?

good luck

14. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the blue tube removed you are changin the properties within the control boards (hence why the others go really bright) i would suggest before messing with settings on boards replace the faulty tube first then try and fire it up. Be VERY carefull when doing this , and make sure u discharge the tube by sticking one screwdriver under the cap , then with another screw driver get a good earth and cross them together (make sure the screwdrivers are VERY well insulated on the grip) you will hear a crack sound and probably see a spark , then u can safely remve the tube. Put all wires back in there places using the clips , then fire it up , kneel down on the floor put your hands together and then prey u done it right (usually works for me lmao) if u dont hear a bang , pop , see smoke immiting from something , or a strange smell pucker your landed. dont do what i did and forget to plug in the video signals on the back crt boards and then scratch your head why dont i have a picture yet tube fires up lol. You can see i done this before.
    If u need anymore help give me a shout

15. Billy Davies

Billy Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds dangerous, but cheers for the help all the same.

Does anybody have a spare blue crt tube for a barco data 600 that is in reasonable condition which I could buy/have?

Cheers,

Billy

16. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have the sony tubes which are used in seleco projectors sorry mate otherwise id let u buy one.

17. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See if you can take a photo of the spark while you're doing that... I'd be interested to see it! :D

18. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most of the time the tubes will discharge on poweroff , but sometimes a small fault will develope and they wont. The tube itself is a massive capacitor and belive me I have seen one through a guy through the air