barco data 600/800

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by edd, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is a barco data 600 worth considering?? i have seen a few for about 600 pounds, with a feed from a pc would the picture quality on dvd be ok? im not asking mircles here, im thinking big screen on tiny budget :)

also the 800, there was an example on convergent av for 850 pounds, this seems very reasonable, is there much hance of findinf one for this price? or is it quite a rarity.

also how much do tubes cost? or available for should i say avoing ridicules new from barco prices.

thansk very much,

newbie edd signing out

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Welcome to the Forums,

I bought my second hand Barco Data 800 last year for under a grand. And it is proberly the best small sum of money I have ever spent on AV gear!

It has 6k hrs on it and no real problems on the tubes(apart from slight wear, which is hardly noticable). I had it installed by [email protected] who made a brilliant job of it. I have to say I know see Demos of the new panel PJ's and laugh at the extorcinate price tags they carry for a performance my machine can almost always better IMHO.

If you have the room, and lets face it once on the ceiling it takes no room at all, Then i would recommend a used Barco anyday. I noticed that Pegface was canvasing opinions on selling his 801s which sounds like it is in good nick. Or give Roland or Gordon a call and see what they have at the moment.

My next Pj will be a 808s from Rolly later this year i think, CRT maybe going out, but not that soon.

Go on you know it makes sense!;) :p

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Edd welcome to the forum

The Barco data 600 was a lovely projector and at £600 if it is in good nick is a reasonable price. However there are a few things to be warry of with cahppie.
    Make sure it is a Data not a Vison (roll the projector over and look at the label pop rivetted to the base. The vison was video only and had horrid plastic lenses. Its also worth checking that no body has swapped the lenses any way because there is healthy trade at the moment for Ellie, Seleco and other plastic lens owners to upgrade to the higher resoloution.

On the back of the projector is a small white box with contrast and brigtness without this or an RCVDS* 400 the projector will not work.

(* = Remote Control Video & Data Switcher)

The 600 series were analogue which means there are loads of little knobs in side for performing the essential lineup and convergence settings. This kind of setup really has moved on now.
    and it is possble to gain a higher performance and digitally alligned projector for not far off the same price :cool: something like a BArco 800,801 or Sony 1270,1271 makes a nice entry level machine.

All of these were designed before component video came of age and you need to look at driving them with a line doubler to get a reasonable picture.

4. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would always go crt, much nicer picture.

instead of a line doubler would a htpc work? i have plenty of bits sat around, and my current machine is a dual pentium 4 xeon 1.7ghz which i plan to use as a digital vidio recorder (160 gb of scsi storage)

unfortunatly, it will be a while before i can buy a projector, as i live in student halls right now :)

this doesnt stop me having my super budget 5.1 setup linked to my pc howerver :)

edd

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    It depends on the PJ and connectors available. My Data 800 happily takes an htpc through rbghv via a barco controller(which came with my machine). Because of ease of use i have resisted the urge to go htpc yet and I am looking at a quadscan. I was however going to buy one of Jenzs' machines, but looks like that is on hold for the time being.:(

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it too much to pay nearly £2,500 for a BG801s in good condition?

I've seen them for much less in USA.

Shall i lower the price?

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid just over £1100 for my data 800 over 18 months ago, which was clean for it's age and just 4850 hrs on the clock thats now 5700 ish and touch wood not a problem todate.

Pic via my quadscan is fantastic and now just been relocate to the garage (now a theatre room). You totally get lost in the film.

Still can only dream about the day that a 1209 dangles from the ceiling. Still maybe lucky to get a 808 before the end of the year.

Nathan

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had to get off the 13th post thing.

£2500 is way over the top for a 801. You can get Data 808 for this price.

If I sold my Data 800 it would be reserved for less than a grand.

Nathan

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    £2500 for an 800/801/801s series projector is high. I would expect it to be half that.

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

What do you think a good price for a 808 would be, as i'll have to start saving up ???? and up ???? and up

Nathan

11. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sold my BD801s for just over 1100 a few weeks back, which was perfect, with 1400hrs on the tubes... (with a flight case)

its a buyers market at the moment for CRT projectors, so I can see...

I've asked myself many a time whether a 808 is four times better than an 801, because you are talking four times the money...

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 808 evolved into the 808s and there was a data and graphics version of each.

From an endusers point of view for home cinema there is little to chose between them so long as you are using an external scaller.

There are of course minor differnces between the models.

New these projectors were £17,625 and £21,150 (graphics 808s)

you should expect to pay about £2000 for one with worn (but usable) tubes. £4000 for perfect tubes and about £6000 for a complete refubished unit.

hope that helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.