1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco D600, Snap, Crackle and Pop!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ReTrO, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ok so it's now 13 years old but it's still not a bad projector (it works!)

My Barco Data 600 (1989 vintage) has been popping a bit over the last couple of weeks. Onece it popped so loud I thought a tube might have blown (fortunately not) but it did throw the convergance way out (only vertical and horizontal global settings though). It did it again today with no detriment to the picture in any form.

My initial thought was that it could have been a bit of phosphur falling of the front into the electron beam. But since all the tubes did it at the same time last time I guess it is not.

Any ideas Gordon or Roland?

Cheers!

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The flash over will only have happened on one tube but it has upset some of the magnetic fileds and electronic values stored in your projector. (bit like a degause only a bit more dramatic.)

You amy find that there is a lot more static electicity about at the moment as the seasons change. this can genuinely affect projectors and be just enough to cause that jump.

Reconverge it it should be fine.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cheers Roland.

I find the convergance drifts a lot now, which is a real shame because when it's spot on with an Iscan Pro the picture is great.

Where do you get your Van Damme cable from? I could do with a supplier for work.

4. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland, i was looking for you today (saturday) at bristol, could'nt find ya

Anyhoo, I saw the cinemax, and cine8, with the biast tag demo, but either way, although it wernt pitch black, detail/contrast was superb

Does the cine8 have HD8 lenses?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Peg: To use a Scottish colloquialism the CineMax in the TAG room looked MINCE....

Rick,
    I think you are probably correct in that a bit of phosphor has fallen off tube face na dis now bouncing around being zapped by electrons. Roland is Barco MAN but I suspect you are getting near to end of the line with the 600...I can help you out with tubes when required.

Gordon

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gordon: I'll not be needing the Barco when I'm off to uni in the autumn, so you could even have it back if you wanted? (Got a Quad 400S switcher with it now also).

Do you rate the IXOS 155 5 core cable? Where do you get your Van Damme or similar from?

Cheers m8ys!

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Retro
    Van Damme web site link here; http://www.vdctrading.com/

They do mail order. I bought an excellent 5m video snake (5bnc - 5nc) for £54 and its as good as the BetterCables cable I used previously which cost 4 times that much. Good quality stuff for a decent price and a quick, efficient service.

Website is a bit fiddly though, do a search there by bnc (or whatever cable termination you need) and it should eventually come up with what you are looking for.
    Regrads,
    PaulB

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was there til about lunch time Saturday then had to come back home. It still amases me how few projectors get to these shows. I did meet up with a few forum members, but as we weren't allowed to exhibit it was difficult to arrange a meeting point. (Time for Audio T and Excelence to step aside)

The Cine (max) 9 reference did not live up to its usual performance. time just ran out for a proper set up. too many people had had their hands in the projector before I got to it so it would need a full back to zero treatment. It seemed to be off to one side of the screen too.

A lot of CRT projectors flash over in the spring I don't know why but I've got some chaps here doing it too. (Sun spot activituy perhaps).

VDC are the place for Van Damme, though RS and Maplin do it too.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thats' the problem with AT and AEx, the Bristol Show should really be called The AT and AEx 10% Off Everything Bristol Showroom.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Actually they were doing more than that on some things.....I particularily liked the 50% off some scart leads...Almost bought some for myself and it had to be less than trade....

Gordon

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Chord weren't going to sell this year. Which is nice for us dealers for once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.