Barco CineVERSUM 70 anything cheaper by comparrison??

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just got back from demo'ing the CineVERSUM 70 ultra.
Now I normally see rainbows but on this I rarely spotted them? Why could this be. I watched a load of different DVD's and scenes and was totally amazed at the sumptouous images.
It is now reduced from £7000 to £1800!! However I believe tyat it is difficult to set up and it weighs a tonn. But I was impressed by the wonderful black levels.
Is there anything to rival this for the same price or cheaper?
I also tried the Infocus74 which was ok but not as good - And I saw bloomin rainbows all over the place.
I was contemplating getting the panny AX100 but have yet to find one on demo but I believe that the black levels are pretty good on this model?

Chris

The Cineversaum has a faster colour wheel, and if the screen size was large (or lamp had dimmed with age), the image brightness may have been lower than you usually see DLPs at, so that would also help explain why you didn't see rainbows and liked the black level.

The Optoma HD80 has a 7 segment 6 speed colour wheel and has a manual iris so you can dial down the image brightness whilst increasing the contrast, so that may work for you too (it's 1080 an £1800, but has a fixed offset so may be tricky to mount it).

Gary

interesting stuff. The guy in the shop was really good and said it had 3 colour wheels but I can't find anything in the brochure to back this up.
I have watched a few big screen digital projections which I believe are DLP and I never see rainbows but I am sure this is something to do with them being £50,000 :)
I also believe that the Barco bulb is £500 to replace and only lasts 1500 hours! Well, I suppose that is a good 3 odd years of movies.
I may check out the optoma80 if I can find a demo.

Cheers

Chris

It looks like a basic single colour wheel judging by the brochure:

http://projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_3184.pdf

The big screen DLPs you have seen may be 3 chip models which use one chip per primary colour rather than a colour wheel, so the chances of seeing rainbows with those are pretty negligable.

Let me know what you think of the HD80 if you get a demo of one.

Gary

Jeeez, trying to find somewhere to view the HD80 is a nightmare.
I can't bloomin find one.
I am looking also at the Sim2 D10, but this isn't native 1080, I think it scales down the signal to 720.
But I know that the Sim2's have a great pedigree too. It is only 2000:1 contarst though and nowhere near that of the Optoma.. But then again I often think the "higher the better" contrast munbojumbo is a load of tosh.
I saw the barco at 3000:1 and it looked great, then saw the Sony AW15 with its 12000:1 and it looked no better?

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom