Barco Cine 8 Green spot on shutdown

nick2005

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Barco Cine 8 with LC tubes that has just developed a couple of faults.

One is that when shutting down the projector a green spot or goup of spots appear to fly down from the top of the screen and then fade out. There is no evidence of any burn on the green tube.

The other is that in scenes of low average ambient light noise appears on the screen almost like a light grey flickering accross the entire image. This happens on port 3 & 5 using different sources.

Nothing has been changed in the setup of the projector or its inputs - I have the impression that something is slowly failing.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

If it only happens on Green then it could be the video amplifier chip on the Green RGB amp or a possible high short in the CRT tube.

Try swapping the video amps and see if the same trouble follows to the swapped RGB amp.

I would keep an eye on this but to an extent they all do it.
So long as the spot is not bright or sharp and last for any length of time I would not be overly concerned.
It does mean that the EHT is not shutting down fully before the scan circuits.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, if the EHT is not shutting down properly would this also tie in with the flickering apparent on the screen in low light scenes?

Something in my distant brain says that a couple of the surface mount capacitors on the Focus board cause this. It is related to the ABL and was known for a while as Candle Flicker.
Most noticable during the credits rolling at the end of a film

Ok I did a bit more testing - it appears that the worst of the noise is on the green tube and also the green tube is showing retrace lines.

Swapping the boards at the back of the tube makes no difference - even swapping the signals with the blue tube makes no change. So I tried swapping the EHT connections off the splitter but the green tube still shows a lot of noise and retrace lines.

I suspect the green tube is influencing the others as the noise is most apparent on green looking down the lenses, also the green tube shows a bright streek during shutdown starting at the EHT input.

Sounds like you have a G2 short in the Green CRT gun.That's what is causing the fireworks on shut down. I had the same thing on my BD 808s Red CRT. I used it for about 2 years without causing problems. I finally bought the Sencore CR-7000 and it cleared the short. Read the Google doc attached....