Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Barco Cine 7LT installed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Godfather, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    My Barco Cine 7LT and new screen has just been installed and I would like to share my thoughts with those who are interested. I'll start off by saying that the picture quality is absolutely stunning, really out of this world. It has exceeded all my really high expectations, having seen a couple of 8” CRTs (Barco Cine 8 at PJ Hi-Fi, Sony G70 elsewhere) and a 9” Vidikron.

The projector was expertly installed over 3 days(!) by James of www.crtprojectors.co.uk . Watching James work, and occasionally giving him a hand, was a real pleasure and eye-opener. I didn't know professionalism and enthusiasm like this existed. On the second day he started at 9am and didn't finish till 2am. The knowledge and skill he has acquired over the years means he was able to overcome any problems he encountered during the physical installation, and then through meticulous calibration squeeze out every last drop of performance out of the humble 7” tubes. I can honestly say that, on my smaller screen, my Cine 7 looks almost as good as the aforementioned 8" CRTs. The physical installation took about 10 hours, partly because of a rather difficult ceiling which had to be reinforced. Once the projector was up, it took a further 10 hours over the second and third day to calibrate it properly. It would have taken even longer had James and Henry not pre-run and calibrate the projector in their workshop beforehand. James just refused to leave my house until he and I were completely satisfied with the image. He's even more of a perfectionist than I am. I should mention that the price I was quoted was all inclusive, so even though the installation took 3 days instead of the expected 2, I wasn't charged a penny extra.

Now a few words about the picture quality which, in a word, is breathtaking. Without meaning to cause offence to LCD/DLP owners, I would go so far as saying that if you haven't seen a properly set up CRT projector, then you haven't seen real home cinema. If I sound a little up myself, that's because the image quality is so beautiful, natural and three-dimensional that I wish I had gone for a CRT projector years ago, instead of wasting my time and money on digitals. The projector isn't actually all that big, and most people who have enough room for a LCD/DLP on the ceiling would have ample space for a 7” CRT, as the throw distance is typically less than that of digitals. In my case, the Cine 7 is mounted about 10 ft away from a 6ft7 screen, about a foot in front of where my Sony VW12 was. Sure they're a really hard to set up correctly, but the upside is that they've so much potential and, in the hands of an expert installer, even an entry level Cine 7 looks stunning. I can only imagine what a Cine 9 will look like when properly setup by these folks from Norfolk. :thumbsup:

Here's a list of things, in no particular order, that makes the Cine 7 so good: whisper quiet operation (much quieter than my Sony LCD), accurate colours, perfectly natural skin tones, deep blacks and superb contrast, shadow detail, pure whites, and probably most importantly for me, the sense of DEPTH. I've lost count of the number of times I said to James in amazement, ‘look at the depth!!!', while he just nodded and smiled because he was used to it. What I mean by depth is that the picture looks three dimensional, as if it extends into and beyond the screen. That's something I've never seen on any digital projectors. It doesn't matter what the source material is, that three-dimensionality is always there, whether it's an old black and white film or the latest Superbit release. I've gotten used to my LCD projector where everything was so 2 dimensional, this really was a revelation. Equally important to me is the colour accuracy and natural skin tones – this was something I was never happy with on my LCD, even after proper calibration, it just didn't look quite right and I was forever tweaking the colour balance. The colours on the Cine7 look just right – skin tones are so utterly natural and often luminous that makes you want to walk up to the screen and touch it. Now I can finally sit back and enjoy my favourite films without being distracted. Playing a dark film like The Matrix was a joyous experience, I've never seen this film look so good since its cinema release. The superb black levels and shadow detail means I could see so much texture in the blacks I didn't even know existed, for example, creases on a black suit or individual strands of black hair. This and the aforementioned depth really makes the image come alive, without grabbing you by the throat. I didn't know films could look this good at home. :clap:

If you have the space and the budget for a high-end DLP, then there really is no excuse not to consider a CRT. If you can't afford to buy new, then get a second-hand one from Henry!

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Looks absolutely fabulous :thumbsup:

p.s. you need to update your sig now.

Adrenochrome.

4. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Congrats on your installation.
    James is a really top bloke.He installed my 1209 and nothing was too much trouble or effort.
    Kevin

5. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very nice mate :) do you mind me asking how much the projector was and how much installation was? im thinking of a Cine 7 myself very soon. it will be a big step up from a PTAE300.

6. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Congratulations on a fabulous setup.....

It would be nice to see a few screenshots.

Most Impressed and very, very envious!!!!

Glenn

7. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I don't mind you asking but it's probably best for you to contact Henry direct for a quote as each room is different (e.g. different ceiling heights, etc). UK list price of the Cine 7LT alone is £7990 but I was charged much less than that including installation and a 6.5ft electric screen.

8. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guy's guy's you are to kind,all this adulation,kev and henry :hiya: what can i say but,how nice it is to help nice people.

james

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Don't forget me J,

We have still got to figure out a way to get a my 1609 into my loft :eek:

Do you think its gonna fit?

Rob.

10. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks :) the spec on the cine 7 looks simply amazing for the money, i just gotta talk to my bank manager :D if he will lend me the money ill be buying one :) i hope im half as satisfied as you mate. ive only had a demo of the Cine 8 though, but im sure i wont be disapointed in buying the 7.

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    You'll more than welcome to see mine. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

12. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Nice to read about other satisfied customers. James installed me a Cine7LT last October in Doncaster, and i can assure any potential purchasers that the adulation and complimets expressed if anything are an understatment. The 7LT is my 4th PJ, and it absolutely blows anything else away at or even close to this price bracket. DLP'S at 8-10K, forget it. If you want a picture made up of dots with delightful colour flashes on any fast movement, then more fool you. Get CRT, the ONLY genuine home cinmea experience. Keep it up Henry and James, I'll never have a bad word to say. :smashin:

13. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the kind offer mate, but its a long way to come for a demo. it looks like ill be buying one soon, do the guys at crt offer demo's?

i think a lot of people are put off by CRT because they dont know about costs, people know they get expensive but most places dont list prices until you speak to them properly, and your talking a few days for installation, i understand this is a product you dont buy blind and you discover costs when you go to someone to talk about it further, but its hard to even get a ballpark figure without proper research, i think thats what puts people off - i could be wrong though.

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,009
    I believe they do, send them an email.

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good advice,

They are people who believe in what they are selling, and rightly so. You won't be disapointed. Probably best to contact them directly though.

Rob.

16. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gracious,yet more adulation,sorry rob forgot to say hi mate,just thought i would point out that you and baggy are two of a kind,top guys and both with nine inchers :laugh: well barco's anyway.
    Hmmmm doncaster,why that has to be pete hi mate,i guess i must be blessed,fitting up nice kit for nice people and doing what i enjoy and believe in with a passion.
    What can i add to your wonderfully placed words pete,you just tell it like it is :smashin:

regards james

17. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you live anywhere near Doncaster, you are more than welcome to come at see my 7LT set up from the chaps at CRT.

18. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Good Morning James,
    You are indeed correct, it is Pete. I trust you are well. Once again thanks for the gear and the install, it gets LOTS of use. Pass my regards to Henry, and stay well.

Pete
    :smashin:

19. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Here's my first attempt at a screenshot. Pic was taken with a 2 mega pixel Canon about 6ft away from the 6.5ft screen and hasn't been doctored in any way, not even resized. It's come out better than I expected but really doesn't do the real picture justice, in particular red looks a bit too orangey. It was taken at an angle which explains the non-straight edges.

[​IMG]

20. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  21. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  22. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Pete,
    I'm not far from Donny, work in Scunthorpe actually. Any chance I can come over sometime and have a look at your projector?

Cheers,
    Andy.

23. danchia

danchia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but boy am I glad that I found this thread.

I would really appreciate any help with this problem of mine. You see, I have been using a Barco Cine 6 for the last year, but something went wrong with the projection, and I had to send the set in to the shop for repair. Guess what ? The shop caught fire when my set was in there, the sprinklers went off, and one of the casualties was my Cine 6. Sigh.

OK, now comes my big problem. The shop has offered to replace my Cine 6 ( which apparently is a discontinued model ) with the similarly priced Barco Cine Versum 60 DLP projector , which he claims has superior picture to the Cine 6 . When I told him my concerns that I was not sure whether or not I should get a DLP over a CRT projection system, he offered me a Barco Cine 7LT , but I would have to pay the difference in price, which amounts to about $4000 in Singapore currency.... quite a lot for me to fork over at this point in time.

After reading Godfather's wonderful review about the Cine 7 LT in this wonderful thread, however, I am more inclined towards keeping with a CRT projector.

Any advice from anyone ? Has anyone compared the Cine 7 LT with the Cine Versum 60 ? I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to give me.

Help, I have to make a decision over the next few days !!! THANKS in advance for your advice, all . :)

24. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Sorry for not replying sooner - work has kept me away from the forums for a few days. I think you have to look at the Barco DLP and decide for yourself whether you can live with the image. If you were happy with the Cine 6 then the Cine 7LT would be a fantastic upgrade.

25. danchia

danchia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, no problem ! Many thanks for the reply.

The shop was kind enough to set up the Barco Cine Versum 60 in my home as a trial, and my mind is made up. There is NO WAY that I am going with the DLP. The blacks are grey, there is no depth of field, the pixelation is way too obvious, and the whole image is so bright that it gave me a headache after 15 minutes. Plus you need to wait for the machine to warm up / boot up and you need to switch it off like you would a computer. It truly spoils the whole cinematic effect of the home theatre.

My mind is clear now, with my good experience with the Cine 6 , and your wonderful review of the Cine 7 LT , I am going to pay the difference for an upgrade .

DLP has nothing over the CRT , in my opinion , and it is shocking that the Barco DLP which costs so much, could produce an image that is just so bad.

Thanks again for the great review of the Cine 7 LT , Godfather.

26. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I'm so glad you're going for the Cine7LT! Provided it's setup properly you're in for a real treat - it'll look like the Cine 6 but sharper, brighter, with better blacks and more accurate colours (colour filtered/corrected lenses). It won't be silent like the Cine 6 but the low speed fans are about as quiet as it's possible to get.

When is it being installed?

27. danchia

danchia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TOMORROW !!!! <dances in glee> :)

I will let you know how it turns out !

28. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey Godfather,

Each incarnation of your room just gets better...I'm so envious right now :devil:

I'm thinking of ditching the plasma and going CRT :thumbsup:

I've even taken the drastic step of asking Henry @ CRT Projectors for a price :eek: even though I've just given him over £2k for my Crystalio.

I'm going about things a different route to you...I have the Crystalio and now want the PJ :laugh:

Anyway...it's hard to tell from the pictures but could you tell me the dimensions of your room please...it looks pretty simillar to mine.

Also..could you explain why you went for the 4:3 screen ?

Lastly, being a bit cheaky here, but if your fairly local how would you feel about a demo ;) as Norfolk is rather a long way to go to see Henry.

Cheers, Lee

29. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Lee,

The dimensions of my room are: 16'6 x 9'3 x 7'7 (lwh). I went for a 4:3 screen basically because I watch a lot of 4:3 films. Had I gone for a 16:9 screen of the same width, the size of widescreen material would have been the same, but the pillarboxed 4:3 image would have been much smaller and Henry advised against it because it would wear out the tubes faster. I've just put up a black roller blind to use as DIY masking so now I've variable aspect ratio and solid black borders on all four edges for widescreen films:

http://premium.uploadit.org/henrysyuen/1.78.jpg

I'm in Maida Vale, London W9 and you're very welcome to come for a demo. Just email me to arrange a time. And feel free to bring your Crystalio with you! :devil:

30. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I made what could turn out to be a very costly trip yesterday to see Henry and his shiny new Barco 7LT projector.

The first thing that struck me when I saw it was it’s size – now that’s what I call a projector. I had not seen a CRT projector in the flash before but knew them to be bulky but it’s not until you see one in situ that you realise just how big – and this is a small one too.

Now from something this big I was expecting it to be noisy but how wrong I was. It has no real discernable fan noise as such…you can just hear the gentle noise of air flowing - that's it. The PJ is situated almost directly above the seating area so any noise could have been distracting but this was by far the quietist projector I have seen. My own personal experience with projectors is limited but both of my previous Sony LCD projectors, a HS1 and a HS10, were damn noisy – the HS10 being so loud that it had to go.

That's enough waffle…lets get to the important part – how did it perform ?

In a word it is STUNNING

We started off with Finding Nemo, which was a joyous experience. The colours were simply perfect without being too strong and the level of detail amazing. I thought it looked good on my plasma but the Barco delivers so much more detail and texture. The whole thing just looks filmic.

Obviously being a CRT PJ there was no sign of any screen door effect or vertical banding which instantly makes the image more natural looking.

You also got a good idea of the improved grey scale reproduction over digital displays.

Another advantage was the lack of reflected light from the screen. With an LCD PJ during bright scenes they have a tendency to illuminate the whole room – this effect is lessened – and dark scenes are, well, dark. They are not washed out, black is black not grey.

We then moved on to XMEN 2 and the first thing to strike me here was the naturalness of the skin tonnes – something which I find digital displays find hard to reproduce accurately.

LORT part one was next up and here you could really see the strengths of the CRT over digital in terms of black level response and shadow details – outstanding.

Overall it was way better than I had been expecting – mainly because I tend to read spec sheets and make assumptions based on those – and due to the fact that the 7LT was the cheapest, entry level model, I was thinking that this might show.

Well I’m glad to have been proved wrong. It was the best large screen image I have yet seen. Okay my experience is limited, and I’m sure that a Cine 9 with a high-end scaler would be better, but at what cost? Henry’s set up was not cheap but affordable and matches his screen and room size perfectly.

The rest of Henry’s room is great also and the sound is awesome.

So you could say that I was impressed !!

Damn right…so much so that I have put my panny plasma up for sale in order to get one ASAP.

I’d also like to thank Henry for being kind enough to let myself, and a friend, visit his pad and were sorry for any drool we left behind :D

Cheers, Lee