1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco Ceiling Mount - Help!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Ok, I've figured it out - its just not like any mount I've seen before. Question is how to mount it - looks like bolts dropped from the loft down into the room will do it. Its not easy doing this yourself you know!

Ah well, its fun!
    Paul

2. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Paul,

I've just installed my Barco Data 800 via a ceiling mount and after worrying about it for weeks it actually ended up being quite easy. I had a friend offer me two steel joists which I laid across four beams in the loft to spread the weight of the PJ. The joists had two holes drilled in each to take the bolts that went through the ceiling and attached to the mounts base plate. Once that was all secure it was just a matter of attaching the runners to the PJ and then getting three of my biggest mates to come round and lift it into place. It slotted in first time :) Just take care to mark out the correct place for the mount in respect to your screen and you should be well away!

Cheers

Dave

P.S. the steel joists are a bit of overkill really, most people just use good sized wooden beams. But the joists were free so what the hell eh! :)

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Orbital,
    Yep, thats the way I'm thinking too - steel runners, just to be safe ! I'd rather be safe than sorry. Glad your install went well, I've been up in the loft for the past hour or so and came to the same conclusion in the end (started off thinking "attached straight into the joists, then I thought hmmm, put it through some 4x2 just for extra security and then, sod it - metal ruuners just to be sure!). Once I'd figured it in my mind everything seemed to just fall into place.

Be a couple of weeks before I get it finally set up (got to paint the room and install the screen etc) but I'm happier now than I was a few hours ago! Its good someone else had the same problems and managed to resolve them - I follow in your footsteps! Cheers mate!

Paul

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

I had the same thought when I opened up the mount box. 'what the hell are all these nuts and bolts for' :confused: I guess they are something to do with the pulley system for lowering the unit. Make sure you have a few strong mates round to give you a hand up. I think if I were to do it again, I would hire a genie lift. Certainly safer and easier to get it up into place. Good luck!

Rob.

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Glad I could be of help Paul :) I have learnt such a lot from the people in these forums it's nice to able to give some for a change. Another bit of advice is if you have loft insulation make sure you wear a mask and try to cover yourself up (t-shirts are a no no). I made this mistake to start off with and was scratching myself like a mad man! I had to remove all of the insulation above the room to put in 20 little micro halogen lights. A complete pain in the ass to install but they look good :)

Cheers again

Dave

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Just been looking at my ceiling mount and can't quite figure out how its supposed to attach to the projector and to the ceiling!!??

The mount is made up of the main baseplate (which has the pulleys in the middle and looks nothing like the one in the pics that Roland installed recently!), 2 large bars, 2 smaller bars that obviously attach to the baseplate, but thats about all I can figure! Oh, and heaps of nuts and bolt things.

Anyone any idea or have a manual I can borrow/copy or any good pictures available (I have had a look at the recent install photos but they didn't help). I really don't want to have this hanging above me without actually knowing what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks,
    Paul

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you haven't got 10 nuts and several bits of studding left afterwards then you haven't done it right.

What you have doesn't sound like a Barco made mount. More like the Unicol chapie.

Send us a mail if you need any help.

Have Gennie lift will travel.(Picture of gennie lift available)

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    And i have a picture of Roland swinging (from mount). The Genie lift took minutes to get her into position. :D