Barco BD808 I2C warning F4H, what do I do next?

yahoocom

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I haven't been around much lately. Time pressure has meant leaving the cinema alone for a while. Last night arranged to watch a movie so I checked the PJ, all OK although it has drifted out of allignment, it has been in fairly frequent use for nearly a year since it was installed. A full run through of the settings was on my ToDo list but was still quite watchable.

Went into the cinema 2 hours later, turned on the PJ and the picture was pushed to the left and taller than it should be, although the picture was sharper in places than it had been. Other areas were still a bit soft.

Now when I select I/P 5, connected to a HTPC, I get the picture distorted as detailed above a a glimpse of an error message relating to I2C with an error in F4H. It also looks as if there are a number of errors but they scroll so fast it is hard to make out, the numbers finish scrolling at F4H.

Did a bit of a search late last night and saw someone managed to clear something similar on a 7xx by changing a fuse... Could I be so lucky?

I take it F4H is a hexadecimal number realting to a particular problem. I do not have the service manual, the owners and installation just say call an engineer...

Any advice gratefully received.

Nigel

In basic terms.........

"the IC2" bus is a route of data transfer, it has an error checking system which if errors are found will flag up the locations of those errors.

They are in Hexadecimal locations.

The good news is that these errors relate directly to convergence ICs that each have a hex address - the same as those on the fault list.

If ONE IC went faulty then I would be prepared to believe that it had failed and was a "lone failure"

Edit: the IC2 bus carries the conv. setting data and a few other perameters within the geometry/conv system.

With a long list of failures in the IC2 error list I would first question if the conv. tray was correctly seated.

It does follow that IC2 errors will result in mis convergence - these ICs control the conv of different areas.

Removal of the conv. tray will show rows/colums of similar ICs, each has a hex number - that number is its own identity, and the number in the fault list relates to that item as failed - although as mentioned long lists of failures I would question and would consider that the actual route of information stands a chance of being at fault (check boards seated correctly)

Thanks Mad Mr. H...

I have taken the cover off now, it is ceiling nounted, and reseated all the cards. This didn't help, I then removed those that I could without having to mess with the yellow interconnecting wires that are fitted to some boards. There was only one board that had a small glass fuse and this was OK.

I haven't been able to identify the board(s) responsible for the I2C bus, the one with the ICs number in Hex. Where I would expect to see part numbers, in the edge of the card, all I can see is the PJ's seriel number. Looks as if they are all original...

When I drop down the rear flap the CPU light is flashing as expected and all the green LEDs appear lit, no reds on the boards.

Should I take the plunge and remove the boards with the yellow jumpers?

Should I be looking for a supply voltage on the Convergence board?

Which one is it?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Mad Mr. H

Just checked out a little more of the excellent Curt Palme Tips site and on Page 7 http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout7.shtm it talks about the supply to the convergence board.

Just been and double checked the LEDs and the Convergence supply LED is lit... Do you know if this is before or after the fuse to the actual board? Could the fuse be blown and the LED lit?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yes, the convergence power-supply LED (D253) is still lit if the fuse blows, but the led it will be bright green.Take a look at the diagnostic lights in the dark to be able to see the difference between a normal lit LED and a brighter one.If not sure, change the fuse anyway, nothing to loose.F176 is a 2Ah fuse.
Here, the meaning of convergence LED's on the G2 board.Hope it will help.

Stan

Attachments

• Diagnostic.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 82
Stan,

I found F176 on the Diagnostics board http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout7.shtm and checked it.... It is OK :mad:

I also looked at the green LEDs (D253) as you suggest and there is not a big difference in brightness, difficult to be sure as it is on its own compared with the other LEDs. I also note that D246 is lit... which your document scan shows as being off under fault conditions....

I suppose the next step is to check the voltage on the convergence board? Maybe their is something on the board common to all the ICs that has failed?

Thanks

Nigel (Scratching his head)

Hi Nigel,

Than try swapping the vertical board.Fault F4H is IC2 on the sub-board R762268S.

Stan

Stan,

Thanks for the pointer, sorry for the delay in replying but lots going on tring to finish the house...

Is there anything else I could do before I start swapping boards? The problem is I don't have any boards to swap with...

There are a number of fault codes that scroll through very fast, is it possible to display these slowly so that I can take note and maybe help me confirm the location of the problem?

TIA

Nigel

Yo Nigel,

I would check the yellow wires that connects the vertical board with the sub-board, on both sides (J3 and J4).Maybe a bad contact...
You can also look if the CTRL and RWI chips on the controller board are firmly locked in their sockets.Don't forget to do all this with power off.
I beleive that somewhere must be a bad contact, otherwise you won't get a bunch of I2C errors.Good luck.

Stan

Stan,

I finally managed to get some time last weekend to look at the yellow jumpers that run between the boards.

I moved the connectors on most of them, just to reduce any build up that may be causeing a High Resistance.

Having done this the fault has cleared :D

I have also watched it most evenings for 30 minutes or so and the fault has not returned...

Hope to spend some time this weekend running through the setup again to set the convergence etc. again...

Thanks for the hints

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom