1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808s v Marquee 8500 v G70 v Nec XG

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vince M, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had these crt`s pass through my hands recently,I would like to share my impressions of differences in Picture quality,pros & cons etc.
    First I will start by saying ALL are cracking 8" crts & the pic differences are minor.
    (*all were judged using the same source material/cables.dvd player etc.)

Picture;

The Barco 808s-I love the Barco pic,very natural colours-though a tad "cold",good resolution,very good blacks,very bright.

The Marquee 8500-Almost a "silky" pic,Magnificent blacks,colours quite 'Barcolike",same brightness as the Barco.Filmic 3d look to the pic that I feel the Barco in its presentation lacks.

The G70-Possibly the best all rounder-better blacks than the Barco,more "technicolour" colour-as bright as both of the above.Great 3d effect-though not as good as the Marquee.

Nec XG-Not quite as bright as the above 3 -though not so you would really notice,best colours,blacks not quite as good as the Marquee but resolution,fine detail and sharpness quite a bit in front of the other 3. Same filmic 3d look as the Marquee.This projector was probably the biggest surprise to me in terms of how sharp-something I put down to the amount of tweaking parameters you have with this-way more than the other 3 .The 100 point convergence implementation being the BIG bonus in being able to dial in a great pic.

Case(Looks!)

Barco case is a nice design-though a little long.

Marquee case? well you either love `em or hate `em,Industrialised look -built like a tank!

G70..ugly bugger but great to be able to adjust lens focus without taking the case off.

Nec XG-Best looking case of the lot but awkward to adjust focus.

Ease of setup;

I think the Barco wins this battle ,followed by the Marquee then the G70.The XG is very easy to setup but so many parameters means it will take a lot longer to do.

Longevity of tubes?;(Based on factory settings.)

The NEC wins this one-tubes not burning so bright will last longer,followed by the Marquee..then a tossup for last place between the Barco and the Sony.

Support;

There is support for ALL these models from a number of sources-and spares readily available for all,Marquees are still being produced,Barcos -easy to get bits,followed by Sony & Nec.
    Having said this,Ive never had a problem getting Sony or Nec spares,Nec specifically being very popular in the u.s.

I realise the above is very basic & Im quite willing to elaborate if needs be,but If someones new to crt and wonders about the differences and what they are in a nutshell-this is my 5 cents as the yanks say!

Certainly in the u.k. for sometime we had a choice of Barco..Barco ..or Barco and a false perception i.m.h.o. grew that Barco 808s were the best and only 8" to have.
    This wasnt helped by the fact that some that sold predominantly Barco tended to "ignore" the other 8"-and in some instances -trash all else.

The truth is that they are ALL very..very..close in quality and it comes down to personal choice .Now is a great time for crt`ers because these other models can be seen and had-giving people the opportunity to decide for themselves what they think is the best rather than be told whats the best.

But I wont tell you what my current fave is! :) :hiya:

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Very interesting. But you haven't mentioned liquid coupling at all. I know the G70 has it and the 808s doesn't, but I'm not sure about the others. It would be great if you could describe in more detail how the liquid coupled projectors compare with the air coupled ones.

3. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt mention because the crt`s I mentioned are not LC-except the G70.(though there are LC versions of the XG and the Marquee.)
    From what I have seen there is not a huge difference between LC and non LC,though the basic differences are that most LC`s(not the G70) are a tad less bright than their non LC equivalent and have a tad better blacks.(Though to see this you would have to look at certain scenes in say-Dark City,and have a good light controlled enviroment.).
    Sometimes as well the LC versions dont show "ringing" in certain scenes.

But at this level I feel one is splitting hairs and It really comes down to setup/cables/source etc..

For example I feel the Non LC XG`S & Marquee 8500 have better blacks than the G70.(..again ,only by a whisker.)

They are all great machines and very ..very close in performance as I mentioned earlier.
    But Ive got a Marquee 8500LC due in-Ill see how that measures up.

4. jacovn

jacovn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What about the number of hours on the tubes of all the systems.
    New tubes look quite a bit sharper than 1000+ hours i was told.

Jaco

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaco,
    I am generalising here & the comments are based on all tubes having had the same amount of wear or close.

6. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi
    Have you made your assesment over a period of time working with these pjs or have you done any back to back comparisons ? are you comparing in identical enviroments ie total black out ? what are you using to get identical calibration ?
    IMHO Blacks can only be properly discovered in totally controlled conditions.
    All the best.....

7. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't know whether it is just me, but I was under the impression that these were "general impressions" Sort of "This is what I thought....."

I think you seem to be asking, what scientific instruments were used to validate this hypothesis.....

It's entirely possible that I've missed the point (I often do !) in which case please feel free to spank me with a kipper, but I find it interesting to hear others opinions, especially when they have access to varied types of equipment.

regards

Parmenion

8. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With respect, I think my post was a fair one.
    There are many opinions posted on this forum which guide and influence members to make decisions.
    I have been using front pjs for many years and have found viewing conditions, scan rates, set up times, etc makes huge differences to the image. As you say the post appeared to be giving general personal opinions and that is why I was asking for the background to those opinions.
    I understand Projection Dreams trades in CRTs and therefore should have plenty of experience to give such guidance, ideed PDs are currently looking for my next PJ right now.

Ive got the kipper ready !!!!

Regards

9. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Though these are general observations-the criteria used to evaluate was the same,therefore the opinions are based on the same set of parameters.

Im not saying though that it was the optimum setup-But the setup was the same(and in the context of a personal opinion not necessarily important.).

I also know that IF all had been ISF calibrated the opinion may be more valid to some-though I have found that ISF isnt the holy grail some think it is.

A true 6500k can still seem a little muted with whites erring towards creamy-I prefer custom of 6800-6900k That has close to the accuracy but more punch,whiter whites and blacker blacks-Its personal choice here though.

Nevertheless,these opinions are more based on having seen many different examples of these crt`s and formulating an overall view.

I have tried to keep it 'basic" because some calibrated may look a tad better than others..some may gel better with one scaler than another..some may..some may not..etc..etc..It can be a minefield!

I have sought to simplify and base an opinion on experience of having seen all under the same circumstances over a period of time.

I have found different traits and qualities that different 8" crt`s have that in fairness I couldnt have ascertained from a one off shootout.

These perceptions have been gathered over a period of time.

10. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..Just to add,what 008 says about evaluation of blacks is correct-If you are going to take calibrated masurements etc.
    It is equally true though,that even in non total black conditions If you fired up two crt`s and one had better blacks than the other this will almost certainly remain in total black.
    I have heard a figure of under 9,000:1 contrast ratio for a calibrated G90 In total black out.(Though >30,000:1 is the spec..).I have heard figures of Infinity quoted,But these debates still continue because is the measurement taken at the screen? ..at the lens?..It is also nigh on impossible to standardise calibrations/black control/source and have a shootout involving 6 or 7 crt`s in one go.

A classic example is the Sony 1292-a great 9" crt,that has been ill maligned as a dim crt in some areas-NOT TRUE. A lot may argue that the 1292 had brightness levels and contrast levels set correctly.(which may explain why 1292` tubes seem to outlast G70`S & G90`S.)
    This allowed you to set contrast real high on the 1292 with no danger.
    The G70 on the other hand was "turned up" high to start and because of that the Sony default of 81 for contrast was way too high.No way should you go above 67 contrast on a G70 unless you want to whack out you tubes real quick.

Ive seen 1292`s with 5,000hrs with not a hint of wear on the tubes-But Ive never seen a G70 with 5,000hrs that HASN`T got wear.

Now the 1292 is real close in quality to the G90-If you were to calibrate both,In fact I know quite a few who prefer the filmic look of the 1292 over the G90.

Now If you went by the specs,you would find the G90 superior in almost every way..sometimes the reality is a little different when you know how these specs may have been achieved.