Barco 808s resolution question?

rigman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what is the maximum resolution that can be displayed on a Barcographics 808s? I am looking to play hidef.

I know it will do 720p but can it do 1080i or 1080p?

thanks
Darren

Darren,
I think you'll have problems with 1080p but 1080i will be fine.

You can feed it 1080p but it wont actually resolve it all. 1080i should work.

PK

Lets get the differnce between display and resolve here.
DISPLAY
A Barco graphcis 808s will display (ie show on screen) up to about 1600x1200 so easily within the spec of the 1080 lines of high definition. Indeed if you put a 1600 x 1080 computor picture on the screen you should be able to read even the smallest fonts.
RESOLVE
This has comanly come to mean the number of lines a projector can draw on the CRT face before they start to over lap. A good BG808s (Rigman's was one of mine) will draw about 960 lines in a wide screen format. It is important to remember that the CRT face is nearly square so you are only drawing on a part of it. So the number of "resolved lines" will depend on the aspect ratio of the picture.
The lenses also play a part in resolution of course. A 16x9 image on an 808 tube will be about 6-7cm high say 65mm. The HD8 lens fitted as standard can resolve about 10 lines per mm. Giving an on screen resoloution of about 650 lines.

At the end of the day 1080p will look better than 1080i on an 808.
( Do the comparison if you don't believe me)

Thanks guys

Hi Roland (suprised you remembered me as you must have done hundreds of installs since mine :) )

My 808 has been run at upscaled widescreen 960p via a rock pro since the install. I was not sure if it would go any higher and so thought I would ask on here as did not want to cause any damage to the projector trying it.

So what you are saying is that even though I have had it at 960p I am only really seeing 650 lines due to the lenses?

What sort of resolve can you see with a higher spec lense?

I also assume that the picture will look better with true hidef even at 720p than my upscaled 960p picture.

thanks
Darren

p.s.
still thinking about that 1209, maybe one day.

Will I have to setup a new blocks on the projector to play hidef for both 1080 and 720?

thanks
Darren

Yes
Digital Barcos will a create a new block for every new frequency they receive. (this will only be stored if you adjust something)

Since the days of the 800 barco have included LDI Linear digital interpolation. Which means that it looks up the nearest block on the horizontal then vertical fequency scale compares it to the ones stored and uses the nearest available.
If the frequecy is close the results should be pretty good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom