1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808S on ebay

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by daytona, Jun 28, 2005.

1. daytona

daytona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. i'm new to this forum, and I have seen a Barco on ebay which i'm thinking about bidding about... it looks clean and good value

link

would any of the more experienced members have a look and see if its worth bidding at. I live a long way from it so I'd like to at least think it was good before bothering with the trip...

I have had a barco 801s in the past so I an not oblivious to the size and involvement needed in owning a projector.

Thanks for your advise!

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    seller has a feedback rating of 3 BUT they are all for buying not selling,

this is so low i would ignore the feedback

I would suggest you drive and collect it. WITHOUT QUESTION

high hours at 15,000 tubes show wear as you would expect but is it nice and even,

missing remote cover - as many of them do

has iris setup camera so if you are new/dont like set up it will help

seller appears to have covered most questions you will ask

Though many items are sold on e bay and are worth nothing but space in a skip there are good sellers out there, I always feel give them all a chance but NEVER part with money until you see the unit and make sure it is the one in the picture.......

Dont be frightened to ask to take lenses off, check it powers up, have a coffee and check its still on.

best of luck.

3. javers

javers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks quite a tidy unit, tubes have a slight hint of wear, but should still have lots of life in them yet (epecially if bright / contrast have been run at the settings he states). Back remote cover looks to be missing, but thats no big deal. Oh and the fact that it has IRIS2 is a nice feature, if you don't want to do all the set up manually (IRIS2 can also be upgrade to IRIS3 with a software update). If the bird guarding the lenses comes with it too, i'd definatly think of putting in a bid! :D

Jon

4. daytona

daytona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now seen this projector with the lenses off and its as clean as advertised, and performed perfectly (he let me watch 2 movies!) easily blowing the socks off my 801. What do you think I should do? whats it really worth?

5. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi there

Whats it worth, good question, (flame suit on) judging by the average prices of 808's that go through on ebay with half decent tube face pictures about £450-£700, im sure others will say this is nonsense, but seen as ebay prices of crts has been dropping over the past couple of years i think anywhere between these should get you a good deal. Could you have cut a deal with the seller on the spot, or did he want to turn it into a bidding war.

Oh forgot to say the two 808's i know of, one friend owns one i own, have between 17,000 and 22,000 hrs and they are still going strong in regular daily use, one been retubed at some point and the other one has two original tubes and one new one.

Regards

James

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    If you can actually get round there, that will put you in a much better buying position than most people, who will not be able to buy something like that sight unseen. Those tubes don't look 15000 hours old, they must have been replaced at some time, and considerably add to the value of the unit. Beware, though, that other potential buyers may be reading this, too. What's your ebay name?

Good luck, Nick

7. javers

javers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with Psyco on the prices. Summer seems to be when crt prices dip, and then go up again a bit during the winter. For reference an 808 (graphics) went for £401 on ebay a couple of weeks back. Seller said it had 2 new tubes in it, but never posted pics to show it, which was bound to affect the final price.

Jon

8. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i picked up a graphics 808 a couple of weeks ago off ebay, it's got high running hours but 3 new tubes in, i tried it out first, payed £410 and collected it from the local seller.
    Brian

9. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    It went for 900 quid.
    Good projector.
    Strong price.
    Did you get it, daytona?

10. daytona

daytona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I was outbid. I'm sure with the falling prices of these I will find another!

11. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    What's your Ebay username? I ask because in your profile you say you are from the UK - there were only two UK based bidders in that auction, one of whom won the auction and the other one I'm reasonably sure is not you.

My apologies but I'm curious.
    Paul

12. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Looks like the winning bidder was actually from Nigeria - minus 3 in feedback so far!
    Paul

13. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    He is now -4!

14. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: