Barco 808S no picture failure

flibble

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Barco 808 started behaving oddly last night.

Watching as normal, then suddenly the picture vanishes. The fans are still turning and the thing appears on, but no picture. I power off using 'standby' and restart by hitting '5'. Picture returns (phew thinks me), however the same thing happened about 10 minutes later and this time standby and 5 didn't restore the picture.

So as such the current state of the projector is.

Turn On with 5.
Fans spin
Sound of static from the back of the CRTs as usual
Back of CRTs are glowing that light orangey colour that I think means their on.
But a new sound from towards the power area at the back, perhaps best described as a 'crackling' sound that lasts about 3 seconds.
The internal red LEDs are, Standby, Mains Power, Processor Cycles (Flashing), Block Match
Of the row on green LEDs on the top of the boards, one appears to be not lit. (see picture).

Any advice on further diagnosing this problem, or possible fix suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Pic

Attachments

• Naughty808.JPG
    Naughty808.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 491
When image go out, check EHT red led.
If turn on can be a EHT failure, quadrupler or splitter bad.

Sorry for language :)

Yes there is a red light on the EHT board.

I suppose my next question is where can I get a new EHT Board, quadrupler and splitter? And how much do they cost?

Peter

I suppose my next question is where can I get a new EHT Board, quadrupler and splitter? And how much do they cost?

Peter

Can be bad only one of these elements, so you can try to swap EHT for first.
then Splitter and Quad for last.

You can find eht and splitter easy, the quad instead is very rare.

First check the fuse on the EHT module. If your lucky its the HV splitter and not the quad...

If you plan on keeping your projector for awhile you should have a back up splitter and quad anyway. Neither can be repaired for the most part...............

EHT modules fail but not very often and can be repaired.

The fuse on the EHT is OK.

Given another thread I've seen on the relative failure rates of the quad vs splitter vs EHT on another thread on AVForums and the lack of the 'usual suspects' popping up to offer to sell me the bits, I suspect this projector has entered the state of being uneconomical to repair (after all, I only paid 150 for it in the first place).

However realising how difficult these things are to maintain without parts, I'd be happy to pass this one on at no charge (provided you can pick up from London SW15, and taking note of the above fault) in the hope of keeping someone else's system going. Please PM if interested.

Sorry I been out of the frame due to lack of internet.

The Led on your G2 board in your pic is a red one. It should be out.
Sounds like a quad failure.
I have recently moved house so stuff is all over the place but I do have a couple of working quads that will go to Ebay in the next day or so.

A little too late for me, a new suprisingly capable DLP arrived yesterday. BTW my offer of the 808 for free to those who are willing to pickup is still open.

For some reason I am unable to PM. If the offer of the projector is still open - I would be very interested.thx

I picked up the BD808s from Flibble last week. Thanks Flibble for your generosity in passing this on to me and for your help in getting such a big lump into my car!

I am keen to get this projector up and running and from the comments further up this post understand the problem is likely to be a faulty quadrupler. I have an old BarcoData 500 lying around and was wondering whether the quadrupler from this would work in the BD808s?

According to the Barco data cross ref spreadsheet on Curt's site the BD500 has quadrupler part no R761743 and the BD808s part no R7622091.

Any advice much appreciated.

Is the same :smashin:

Difference between R761743 and R7622091 is the support only, you could make little modify.

That's not quite true. Electronically they are the same.
In the case of the ...91 the cable come out of notch in the side wall of the quad. In the case of the ...43 they come out of the base and you will either need to use spacers, very carefully cut the quad case or drill a hole in the chassis.
Spacers are my favourite.

That's not quite true. Electronically they are the same.
In the case of the ...91 the cable come out of notch in the side wall of the quad. In the case of the ...43 they come out of the base and you will either need to use spacers, very carefully cut the quad case or drill a hole in the chassis.
Spacers are my favourite.

Yes correct Roland :smashin:

I seek one quad for a my friend Roland, pm for info.

Well I got round to swapping the quadrupler today and unfortunately the same problem remains. Following the earlier advice in this thread I now plan on turning my attention to the EHT board.

Next question to the experts on the forum - I have this old BD 500 lying around which according to the Barco data cross ref spreadsheet on Curt's site has the same EHT board part no. Can I safely swap into into the BD808s?

Advice much appreciated.

I think yes, if "HV chain" (quad+eht+splitter) is the same, you can swap all the elements.

Always check the part numbers which for barck will be an R76*****

Often Barco added an "s" or "5" to the part to show it had had some minor improvements.

It is still possible to swap these ie

R7654321 and be interchanged with a R765421S in both directions

but check with an expert before you swap
with an R7654322

If that makes sense

Well I have now swapped the eht board, quadrupler and splitter. The red light on the EHT board is now no longer lit however I still do not have a picture. There is a faint orange glow at the rear end of the tubes but nothing on their face. I had a go at checking for a shorted tube by removing the splitter output cables one by one but still nothing. Should there be any change in sound or arcing or when I remove the output cables one by one from the splitter?

I have also checked the fuses on the SMPS and there are no red LEDs now on show anywhere on the boards. Everything seems ok but still no picture from my composite connected dvd source.

Would anyone have anything further to suggest?
Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion. I just gave it a go and adjusted it to 17v exactly. Unfortunately it has made no difference. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

No - nothing is displayed on the tubes no matter what I select on the remote/control pad.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom