Barco 808s install

Tim Cooper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
For those who are interested my new Barco Graphics is now installed the install being on my new & improved website :D
Any comments as usual greatly app'd
cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Looks very impressive. I like the way you can make adjustments easily with your bracket. Mine is the standard Barco mount. I managed to pick up a new one for £100 of the guy who sold me the PJ. (they are about £1000 from Barco!). You can pivot from side to side, if the mount isn't quite square, although its pretty much there. It took 3 of us to lift it up and slide it on. I was initaly worried I hadn't set the unit low enough to get the picture where I wanted it, but after a few adjustments its there.

All the best

Rob.

I just had a look at your install. I recognised the 'Special' bracket immediateley as I had extactly the same bracket! Then further down everything fell into place, I bought my projector from Tony Martin, who had the bracket especially made to his specification. Very interesting chap, also the inventor of a well known commercial surviellance system.

Tim

In reverse order.

The other Barco people are probably busy enjoying a film! it's pretty much the end of an upgrade path unless you have a big house and can accomodate the 9 inchers.

Re your remote.
I used to have the very same remote, I took it back for a refund because it wouldn't operate my projector, in my case because the signal was not strong enough bouncing off the screen, it worked ok when pointing it directly at the sensor on the projector (my Seleco not Barco). Might be worth just ruling out that it isn't powerful enough before going any further.

Re: Scalers etc.

I'm pretty finicky about 'jaggies'. I can put up with a less than perfect picture but any sign of 'jaggies' and I seem to home in on them. Don't know if I'm more sensitive than most or whether it's just a case of once you notice them you can't ignore them. I used to have a Quadscan but now only use a HTPC. Was tempted to take a look at an NRS but can't justify it for the odd video I watch, I mainly watch DVD. I'm keeping an eye on the developments on video input cards that Jeff (Kryton) is pioneering at the moment, might buy one of those and start using DScaler again for video use.

Tim,

I'm running my Rock at 1440x960@72hz NTSC and 75hz for PAL.

I've stuck with the Barco Remote for controlling it when I've needed is as I've been unable to get it working properly with my programmable remotes.

Regards Jenz.

Tim,

I use a Quadscan (Gary's old one). I find it pretty good and convenient. You do get the jagglies a bit, but to be fair, I don't really notice them now, although I am looking to put together a PC based system to improve things. I'm just concerned about the ease of control. I run the Quad in triple mode. After comparing to XGA etc. I find it slightly superior. I use this mode for both PAL and NTSC, Anamorphic and N/A. For some reason, this seems to work best for all formats. It will be interesting to see the various scalers at the event. Could be walking away with a Rock :D

Regards Rob.

Tim,
I use a Cinematrix moded 7700 DVD player running at 960p with mine. On film based material (99% of my viewing) its incredible.

For Sky digital I use an isan pro. While there is still some line structure visible, its pointless messing around with more expensive scalers for what is basicly a poor source.

Eric

Hi Rob/Gary
Thanks for the feedback the install went smoothly enough.
I am interested to know what you two are running with your PJ's i.e HCPC, scalars doublers, quads, what resolutions etc.
What has suprised me is my Cambridge remote,it learns the barco commands ok but the PJ just ignores them will only work off of the original remote :(
What ever happened to the otherBarco owners i wonder Leon,Jenz,Paul et-al...shame i miss all the feedback, & as good as AVS forums is it is really for the real techies.
Cheers chaps

Tim :D

Tim,

Well my RC5000 works on the 808, so I assume a Pronto would be the same. I didn't download a file from remote central, as I did with my previous PJ, as the basic commands were simelar, I just 'tought' the remote the new codes. Seem to work fine. I find the joystick on the Barco remote a bit sticky. Sometimes I use the control panel on the unit if I have problems.

Regards Rob.

Hi Chaps,

That's more like it i thought all the Barco owners had packed up & bought a light bulb PJ :D

Thank's for all the info, i am running the hcpc at 1280x720 @ 72hz pal & ntsc, looks fine on both 4:3 & anamorphic, although to me it looks as if i need to squash the image some more but i've run out of adjustment on vertical size (zeroed out) i did ask the installer the question on how you do it but it all seemed a bit vague anyone know how???

I've d/loaded the Runco DTV-992/992ultra manual (it's an 808s clone) but the operating instructions are slightly different anyone know of a d/load site or maybe a copy of one, cost's of course reimbursed ;)

I think eventually i will go the uncle eric route & use a dvdo for tv viewing & also connecting it to my now ancient/defunct panny player(which has not got the chroma bug) for ease of use for the wife & kids ;)

Can anyone please tell me if a Pronto DEFINATLEY works my Barco 808s i keep getting conflicting advice thanks.

A pleasure chaps as always

Tim

P.S any hint's tips tweaks greatly app'd :D

[ 24-07-2001: Message edited by: Tim Cooper ]

[ 24-07-2001: Message edited by: Tim Cooper ]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom