1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808s Gamma adjustment

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob.Screene, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can I use the gamma option under Service/installation?

Can I use that option without wiping our the settings or results of the ISF grayscale tracking?

Is is global or per timing/memory block?

The reason I ask is that I recently switched TheaterTek to use the VMR9-renderless feature, which has improved chroma scaling and apparently gives faithfull video output levels, where the Overlay default is pc levels 0-255.

I dropped the brightness appropriately and checked against Avia and Video Essentials2.

My Barco was installed by Roland and re-calibrated a year later by Gordon. The colours and gamma are defintely off slightly now for some or all resolutions.

I know the ideal is to get one of the guys in, but I'm looking at rebuilding the room soon, so would get the barco re-calibrated professionally after that.

Your thoughts appreciated.
    cheers,
    Rob.

2. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    It's a global thing.

Sure, you can try it. Just write down any values first in case you don't like the results.

It won't wipe out your ISF grayscale settings, but like anything else, you should probably write down the values anyway. There aren't many (only a few per block).

FYI: I haven't heard anything good about the built in gamma on 808s and later/bigger models. Best to use the gamma right in Theatertek (IMHO). Even it the built in gamma curve was good, it's hard to use effectively as it's global.

Kal

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks Kal,
    I used to have gamma adjustment on the TheaterTek video options, but it's unavailable now that I switched to the VMR9 rendering option.

My thoughts are that it's best to do as little digitally with such a flexible projector.

Anyone else tried to calibrate a Barco utilising it's Gamma options?

cheers,
    Rob.

4. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oops! Didn't know renderless didn't allow gamma! Interesting! I'm surprised everyone loves renderless that much then... I'm still on TheaterTek v1 and just *love* what a little gamma boost does to the image....

Kal

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think VMR9 might, but may require the Cacalyst Control Center to be installed for ATI cards, plus it's requirement of the .NET runtime.

Anyone else tried to calibrate a Barco utilising it's Gamma options?

cheers,
    Rob.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    When I was over at Godfathers we found that we could get two IREs at D65 (30 and 80), but the others would be way out so it needed something like the gamma adjusting, and I'm not familiar with the controls of a CRT so I was stumped. I'd love to know how this is done too. James? Gordon? Chris? :)

Gary.

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I did notice under Display properties, Advanced, Colour that the gamma can be changed globally for the HTPC including VMR9, however the setting appeared coarse 1.00, 1.05, 1.10 etc, but worryingly returning it to the default 1.0 left the picture washed out in TheaterTek until I used the Reset to defaults button to disable the ATI gamma adjustment.

I'd really rather fix it on the Barco's setup.

Any further thoughts and advice appreciated.
    cheers,
    Rob.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'd like to know too!