1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808s ceiling mount questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pzycho, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently in the process of ceiling mounting my 808s, with what I believe is a genuine Barco mount. It comes in two parts, one which is 72 x 56 cm that I believe will go underneath (or on top of, depending of how you see it) the PJ and be bolted into the four mounting holes. The other is 56 x 20 cm (roughly) which I guess goes into the ceiling :) Now, question is, would one ceiling joist be sufficient for this weight (near enough 100kg's all together) or would I have to get some metal bars of some sort to distribute the weight onto two or three joists?

Basically I guess I'm looking for a Barco Ceiling mount installation guide for dummies, failing that a helping hand pointing me in the right direction would be equally as good.

Also, the mount came without any (extra) screws or bolts - any idea what to look for when purchasing bolts to hold the PJ to the mounting plate?

Update:This may not be an official Barco mount after all - at least I am unable to find it on the barco webiste - then again all I found there was the CM-100. I'll get some photos uploaded if that'll be of any help.

Cheers,
    Arne...

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One joist is not enough.

imagine getting a 10ft length of 2x4 timber supported at both ends and stand in the middle, it will bend or break!

I would spread the load accross 3 joists at least.

3. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Roland, that's what I figured really.

So on to the next question then - what is generally the best way to spread the load? I was considering getting some more 2x4's which I place between the joists, then a couple medium sized metal bars going through the whole package, PJ screwed into 'extra' joists.

Or possibly getting two metal bars, attach these under, say, three joists then the PJ in the middle of the bars.

Any of this seem like a good idea at all? How do you usually do yours when mounting? I'd rather not have the PJ fall down on my head - but at the same time I'd like a solution that's easy'n'quick enough to install.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm guessing there is a room above your cinema so you will have to "find" the joists. Most of the time they go across the narrowest part of the room. the stuff I would try to get is Unistrut which is a slotted chanel that allows you to hang things like air conditioning etc. Most UK builders placed these between 12" and 14" appart so if you find one the next should be easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.