1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808gs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tim Cooper, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Been Lurking in the shadows now for a month or so now learning about HTPC's Barco projectors etc.
    My question is this i've been offered a barco 808gs for 5.5k 1800 hrs jobby,no i can't afford it (saving for florida holiday wife kids etc),is this a good price for one of these (iknow Leon paid peanuts for his don't know about Jenz'one)
    I already own a seleco 400HT would it be in my best interests to keep & improve it? or flog it & save for a Barco?
    Cheers
    Tim
    :D :D :D

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    You'll not get anything as good for £5500 unless you can find another similar CRT s/h. Which is entirely possible of course.

A Seleco400, with the best will in the world, can't hope to compete with an 8" unit like the Barco. Providing you are using some form of video processing with the Barco that is. I'd start saving if I was you. Don't worry about missing out on that one. There are bound to be others available whenever you are ready.......
    :D

Gordon
    P.S. Tim, read your profile. Are you made from pollymollyalloy?
    Asta LaVista Baby.......

[ 21-04-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

[ 21-04-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yes....But.....But.....But Gordon i want one now :D
    Thanks for the info.
    I see what you mean with regards to my profile :D
    The barco is what i'll aim for when funds allow don't know how much my HT400's worth but it'll help towards the cost.
    cheers
    Tim
    Asta-la-pasta baby

:D

4. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tim I am in exactly the same boat as you sort of as I have a seleco and want a 808gs I now plan on keeping my 400 and doing another room for the 808s.
    I was hoping to get one from M2N who supplied Jenz but the price has rocketed from his buy and I am now looking elsewhere I get a Rock processor in June so I would like to have my Barco setup by then so I am hunting hard.

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Blimey two cinema rooms :D
    Jeff, seriously i thought i had a good set-up until i started to hang around here (gits) :D .
    I've got a couple of adresses, ok if you live in the good ol USofA they tend to go for around 4-6k USD.
    where are you looking BTW.
    Tim

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Gordon,
    Any other CRT projectors i should look out for of the same sort of quality as the Barco 808gs? (maybe an Ellie eh ;) )
    Bearing in mind i have never seen the Barco in action (Waiting for an invite peeps ;) )
    Cheers
    Tim

7. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

Depending on your purchasing timescales you may well want to consider an Ellie! Speak to Jim at ScreensUK about the one after the XS3000HT (XS4000HT?) ;)

BTW, I presume you guys have already checked out the guy advertising the BG808 in the HCC mag @£4500?. Rumour has it that he's a dealer in used projectors so if he's sold it he may well get you one to order.

[ 21-04-2001: Message edited by: GaryG ]

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Guys,

I sometimes manage to get my hands on s/h projectors. In fact I may have news next week on that front.........

What's similar to an 808. Well, There's SonyG70's but you'll probably not come across many. Electrohome 8XXX series. NECXG110/135 units. The NEC's would offer superior performance I think. TheXG135 being the basis for the best projection picture I've ever seen in the form of a Runco991ultra.

You may also be lucky enough to come across Barco1208's, Sony1292's. The Sony being a 9" unit should be capable of some pretty serious pics although it'll be BIG, but then an 808 isn't exactly small....

Gordon

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Tim,

To be honest, I think £5,500 is a bit high. Thats not to say that its not worth it because it is. Usual price seems to be around the £3000 - £4000 range. I paid £2,900 for mine, but I think I was fortunate. Keep looking, if you are prepared to shop round you will probably save a tidy sum. Would help towards a scaler/HTPC.

Cheers Rob.

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What is the difference between an 808s and an 808gs?
    Where do you suggest we look for such beasts Gordon / Rob? Maybe those of you in the know could give us some tips?
    I know M2N has got a couple but the price has increased substantially since the original post probably because Barco are charging more for them but I must admit after moaning about it in another post it was a bit dissapointing to finally get the email and see the prices, especially as they excluded vat. Although the tubes may be new or nearly new the rest of the components (power supplies) will be worn.

[ 23-04-2001: Message edited by: cossie0 ]

11. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    M2N price is £5500 plus vat for the 808s and £400 for the install depending how far from the Thames valley. That is guaranteed for 6 months as long as they do the install. They also have a couple of 708s for £3500 plus vat which has gone up quite a bit since Jenz bought his.
    Gordon what would be the going rate for a Barco 800 graphic in excellent condition with 1700 hours on the clock?

thanks

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Difference between graphic and data units is that graphic's have higher scan rate capability.

The 808 is a substantially different beast from the 800 and 801 though.

Graphics or Data 800's in good working order should be around £800-£1500 s/h. IMHO.

Gordon

13. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cossie,
    the M2N price of £5500 was for a Data 808s the 808gs (Graphics model and higher Horizontal scan rate)was £6500 + VAT.
    I too was very dissapointed especially as I think that if they needed new tubes then they must have seen a lot of use on the Chassis or maybe just had severe burns.
    I have already found another option and will inspect the CRT 7th May- however if Gordon gets some I would look at them also.
    as for Iris it seems the common opinion on AVS that it is a inferior option to self install and tends to place the image out of centre on the raster also not as accurate as a self converge.However I would still like it.
    Another thing when looking on ebay is that there is import duty of %13 on projectors and the shipping cost counts as the cost of the CRT then they put on VAT which generally puts the price up by %34 so beware when costing.

14. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to say (with my M2N hat on) that I too am a bit disappointed at the prices of the Barcos. They are alittle more than we thought they would be.
    But one point to consider about the 808 models is that the cost of new tubes is £3,600. The refurbishment or 'overhaul' is intended to ensure as much as possible that the other components are also good for years. The idea as detailed from the start is to get the projectors as close to their original 'as new' performance as possible. The quality will be at least as good as Jenz's setup (depending on what you plug into the projector, of course!)
    Considering the £20k price new, and the warranty, despite it being a lot of money, I still think £6,500 is not a bad deal.
    Anyhow, as alternatives, the 708s give a brilliant picture and I was happy with mine running at 600p from a HCPC for ages.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Even I would say that £6500 for an as new or as near as new 808 is a pretty good deal.

Gordon

16. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi chaps,

Cossie:How much were you quoted by M2n?
    I,ve been looking on American Ebay (just looking :( )some of the offers there are v.tempting (money wise)

Rob:Hi,maybe i could buy yours when you tire of it ;) (i promise i'd go into debt)
    has your 808s got a scaler & that auto-iris doo-dah thingy?

Gordon:Thanks for the info (again) you are fast becoming an A.V legend (or was it leg-end) :D ,if you get a deal that i just HAD to go into major debt for.....email me ;)

All:Seems like everyone here seeks the holy grail of projectors here.
    How much grief would it be to import one given the relative scarcity in this country...or better still get some sort of collective to purchase several 808s...the dealers must buy in bulk the prices may then be quite favorable.what do you think????

cheers
    Tim :p

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    If you are going to buy from the US I'd recommend using someone like AVS/HiRez/TAW or Curt Palme.

You should be aware though that many of these things are not multi-voltage, that the video boards often don't accept PAL and that they are very heavy so cost a packet to ship over.

Tim thanks for the comments. If I manage to get hold of anything interesting I'll post a note on the special offers page for folk to contact me.

All the best in your search for video nirvana......]

Gordon :)

18. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Okay I will probably have to save up a little more then and hopefully get one in another months time. How about a years warranty rather than 6 months then HC Dude :)

19. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HC Dude, thats a little bit misleading. at least as good implies that in most cases it will be better which I infact wholly disagree with. If they don't buy a Scaler in the same league as The Rock then it won't be as good and that includes a HTPC.

Remember that I have now spent around £8000 on my system (Barco, Rock, Install, Screen, Vat).

Regards Neil.
    p.s. knowing what I know now would I buy a 708 at £3.5k? Yes.

20. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 808s worked out a cash price of £3920 inc Install.

21. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jenz,
    Thats what i call a good price would have one fitted tomorrow for that amount. :eek:
    Cheers
    Tim

22. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - instead of writing 'depending on what you plug in', I should have said 'ignoring the quality of the input, assuming the screen is at least as good, and concentrating on the quality of the projector and install, given that the tubes are new, I think Mr Install man will be able to get a setup which is no worse than yours'.
    I.e. your projector itself is brilliant but by no means unique.
    Add the Rock to it and you DO have something quite phenomenal. But with a standard HCPC, the picture quality is still outstanding - as you have described your own pre-rock setup.

23. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ahhh I hate ya even more now Jenz.

HC Dude why the very large price difference between Jenz's unit and the units you have now. His cost £3920 inc install and vat which makes the unit about £3500 supplied which is a difference of almost 3 grand. If it is down to Barco can we expect all of your future units to be similarly priced?

thanks

24. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that my unit was purchased as an upgrade in which I traded in a Barco 708MM at a vastly reduced trade-in price I think it is unfair that you expect to get a Projector for what is perceived as my "Purchase" price.

These units still sound excellent value for money. If anyone is in the Milton Keynes area and wants to take a look....

25. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Jenz
    I'm pretty well near you ish i would'nt mind a look :D :cool: :rolleyes: :p :eek: ;) ;) ;)

Cheers
    Tim

26. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Drop me an email and we'll arrange something. Let me know what DVDs you'd like to see.

Regards Neil.
    p.s. Better advise your Bank Manager you're coming.

27. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Jenz I hate ya :) I was all set to get a 708 after seeing your install then you go and change it to an 808 and tell us all just how much better it is so now I want one of those.
    I know if I get a 708 I just would not be satisfied and be thinking that I could have done better. I did the same with my hifi and surround system and I still want better quality even though just my amplification is worth over 6K not including the Lexicon DVD, speakers etc etc
    Its all your fault, now I have to spend thousands more on a bigger projector.
    Seriously though your set up looks great and hopefully I will have one nearly as good soon enough.

Darren
    P.S only £8000 for the whole lot your 808 much have been a bit cheaper than £5500 + vat. Looks like you bought it at just the right moment e.g before the blooming prices went up

28. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My friends dad has several Barco CRT's, 800 and the like, for sale, they are s/h, though he will also do new.
    Conact G.W. Gilbert
    try: http://www.hardwaredevelopments.co.uk

They are based in Tring, Herts.

Hope this helps someone!

Rick

29. mrtgilbert

mrtgilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard,
    Currently in stock at the moment we have some 800's and a couple of 600's, post for more details.
    As Barco dealers for many years, we also have many second hand spares and parts, including many low life tubes.
    We also may have an 808 coming to our attention soon, as well as some monster 1209's.

Regards, Graham Gilbert

30. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you guys are still looking for a BG808s, Tony Martin has one with 1400 hours on the clock for £4k. His email address is: Tony.Martin@Libertysurf.co.uk