1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KarlRobinson, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an opportunity of a Barco 808 (second hand).

How good is an 808? have been told its the same as a Cine 8.

Does it have all the same inputs, component etc.

Features?

Brightness?

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It's a very good projector.
    However to know it's exact specs we sould need to know if it's a BarcoGraphics 808 or a BarcoData 808. Also does it have an 's' on the end.

Whatever it is it's fairly big, has 8" tubes, will accept a HCPC at 1440x768 and 1280x720 and, if in good condition will blow you away.

I would project onto a 7' screen and then brightness will not be a problem.

There are a lot of things to check for though so be careful!

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Karl there were differnt versions of the 808 family though time.

Essentailly there were two major up dates to the machine and loads of litlle ones along the way the final one being when the model changes to become the Cine 8.

It really isn't fair to say that the 808 is a Cine 8 but they are the same shape.

There two versions of the 808 family. the Data and Graphics. From a Home cinema point of view they really don't vary too much, there are some scan rate differnces but even the early data version should cover everything for home use.

In about 1996 both the Data and Graphics machines were upgraded to cope with new standards coming on board. this was the famous change from 808 to 808"S". the S is relevant.
    Sync detection was upgraded to automatic before it had to be set to negative.
    The new standard of component input was introduced and they were made HDTV ready.

When the Graphics 808s was introduced it got a new version of CRT from Sony which many say is sharper. These tubes are the same as fitted to the Cine 8. the BG808 and BD808 and BD808s all use an older style tube which has the advantage that it can now be rebuilt. (Sony still will not allow this)

All these projectors had improvements in the powersupply over the old 800 series but they still need overhauling once they get about 3 years old.

On the whole the 808 family is a supurb and reliable machine I sold more of those last year than any thing else. but do check powersupply, focus board (L&R) EHT regualtion and the usual check for tube wear of course.

4. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will check the model info, this particular machine is almost new apparently (only 106hrs).

If it turns out to be the Graphics 808s and is in mint condition what sort of money would you offer?

I'm guessing this machine would be almost identical in performance to the Cine 8 and better than the Cine 7, right?

Also, would this be ok on a 8ft screen?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Karl,

The Cine series all have colour filtered lenses. This gives more accurate colour reproduction but has the trade off of cutting down light output. So it'll give you a sharper brighter picture than a Cine7 and a brighter picture than a Cine8. (8ft screen is calling you......)

;)

Gordon

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old BG808 which is superb. It looks great using a PC to play at 1280x720. If I had the money a scaler would replce this for convenience.

The depth of the image and the colours are amazing, the detail in dark areas is all there and the blacks are as black as a black cat in a coalmine at night (not that you find many true black cats or coalmines in this day and age!).

They're big buggers though, 70 kg's and over a metre long! As they heat up they creak a bit, which I sometimes find a bit disconcerting as it's just over my head.

I only use a 6'6" screen, I could have gone bigger but it suits me and my room (10' wide 18' long). I sit 12 to 13 feet from the screen .

An 808 is an industrial spec projector and will last for ages. Also I believe they're easy to repair as they are modular in design.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.