1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808 Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, May 3, 2001.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having heard how great the 808 is I'm now considering an upgrade from my VW10HT.

However I have a couple of really fundamental questions apologies if there obvious but I'm new to the CRT thing:

1) Do the 808's lenses/ controls have a zoom function? i.e can you alter the size of the projected image without moving the projector - my VW10HT can be mounted anywhere within a 2'6" range and still achieve the desired screen size - in other words is the screen to projector distance an exact science?

2) Following on from the above - I have a VUTECH 16:9 screen - 8 feet wide - 1.3 gain
    is this a suitable screen for CRT ????and.....

how far away from the screen will the 808 have to be to fill it????? I've got a finite amount of space.

Many thanks.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dealmaker
    there are no zoom lenses availbe for any CRT projectors regardless of manufacturer.

Typically a CRT projector needs to be between x1 an x1.5 the screen width away.The distance will vary between makes.

Your screen is perfect for CRT.

For an 8ft wide screen your Barco 808 projector needs to be 11ft 3inch from the screen (measured to the front pannel)
    Front pannel to back of projector = 3ft 2inch

hope that helps

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    Just to add to B4's comment.

There is adjustment for horizontal and vertical size of the image being produced on the tube face. This allows a little electronic leaway, although nothing like the Sony's.....

Best advice is to plug in your sources and find the ideal distance on the floor, measure then ceiling mount.

All the best,

Gordon

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Thanks for that - so now I know the approximate distance from the screen and the length of the unit next questions:

1) how deep is the 808 roughly- i.e. from the ceiling how low will the 808 drop into the room??? (we have fairly low ceilings)

2) does the screen height have to be matched exactly to the projector mounting position - I gues there's no keystone correction?

3) what type of input does the unit prefer - can I use my existing component cable???

4) where should i start looking for a good used/refurb 808?? and will I need a rock processor or similar??

many thanks

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    (1) 808 is 14 inches tall

(2) CRT technology has exceptional keystone build in with no loss of image quality.

(3) If the Unit is an 808"s" then component is prefererd.

(4) Some form of image processing is essential. Unless you like to count video lines.

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're quick you can get a BG808s from Tony Martin, 1400 hours on the clock for 4K his email address is: Tony.Martin@Libertysurf.co.uk