1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 808 hcpc ttek ffdshow focus

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wilders, Nov 30, 2003.

1. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a Barco 808 running through a pc using a radeon 9000, theatertek, ffdshow etc.
    The picture is good but I think it looks slightly soft, almost as if slightly out of focus, with some grain to the picture, although when I view the nokia test patterns, it is crystal clear.

I've played with the settings on ffdshow, tried without ffdshow not sure how to correct it, although I haven't really tested every setting as Im not sure what some of them do.

Dont get me wrong, the picture is very good, but am I expecting too much?
    Some dvds look worse than others, not sure if what i am seeing is part of the dvd transfer process from film...

Any ideas?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    FFDshow uses the software decoders (DXVA off), mpeg decoding isn't nearly as good. If you really want to use ffdshow then WinDVD and Zoomplayer is a much better option, WinDVDs software decoders are much better than the Cineplayer/TT ones.

3. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thing is, after extensive reading, TTek is supposedly THE best dvd software, and coupled with ffdshow, supposedly the best way to view dvds
    Maybe I should experiment a bit more, I was kind of hoping I might get some options in this thread to play about with...
    I'll keep on experimenting in the meantime...

4. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Jeff, WinDVD5 decoders with Zoomplayer and ffdshow is far better than TT/ffdshow. Having said that, it's a bit of a pain to set up as there are a few settings you'll need to play with before you can get it going - well worth it though.

If you're looking for tips on ffdshow, then try reading this thread. At 26 pages long it's a bit of an epic but you should find everything you ever wanted to know about ffdshow - and a few things you didn't.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

That is true ;)

The answer is to not use FFDShow. Or if you must, then WinDVD and zoomplayer is the way to go.

6. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So, with a crt pj, windvd and zoomplayer will give me better pq than ttek/ffdshow?

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    WinDVD,Zoomplayer & FDDShow will give you a better PQ than TT&FFDShow. Neither are as good as TT&DXVA IMO.