1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

barco 801s which scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott33b, Oct 17, 2004.

1. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I have a Barco 801s and would like to add a video scaler/line doubler.
    Been looking at Iscan and an Extron System 4 LD, both second hand.
    The Extron has RGB input but more expensive. Any thoughts on which is better?

2. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Depends what you want to achive. I'd personally go with the Iscan, as the Extron isn't supported as well over here. Iscan Pro or HD?

3. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's an Iscan pro. Is there a noticible difference with one of these connected, rather than connecting with a s-video lead? Probably a daft question?

4. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was disapointed with the results from the IScan pro, I'm running a Barco 801s, ocasionaly with the IScan pro in the system onto an 8ft screen, the images are softer and less diffined around the edges i also get image flare from light images onto dark backgrounds, (i think the vid cable could be at fault for this). You notice this more when the titles are on screen.
    Currently thinking of upgrading the pioneer dvd to a Denon progresive scan to reduce the devices in the signal path, although sitting 14ft from the screen and running svid using profigold cable directly to the projector gives good clear images and we're far enough back not to notice the scan lines.
    Take time to set up the 801, i used binoculars to get the image grids set correctly and tend to view in the standard 50 hrtz mode at the moment as images are generaly sharper around the edges. Perhaps a Dennon prog scan dvd will give the film like image i am expecting?

PIONEER DV350S, ISCAN PRO, YAMAHA DSPA1, MISSION M74i fronts
    M5AS SUB, MISSION REARS, BARCO 801s PROJECTOR, PROFIGOLD I/C

5. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is this common with the Iscan pro? Maybe I should think more towards the Extron, or should I just use it without a doubler?

6. supersub

supersub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i've learnt about line doubling there has got to be some degradation in the image due to the way the image layers are built up to efectivly reduce the scan lines (line doubling) i've decided to get the Dennon 2200 and see what happens, i'm running low loss cable up to the projector (7mtr run) the bnc connectors are difficult to solder onto a 3mm core and you will also need a vga to bnc breakout cable, the i scan needs setting to sync on green by removing an internall jumper, pity you can't try before you buy, i got my iscan off ebay.

7. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I think you would probably be better off using a scaler, rather than a prog scan dvd player and the iscan pro should give you good results, IMHO, as there is more flexibility in regard to resolutions. However, if you can stretch your budget to an Iscan hd or better yet, a Lumagen hdp or even my choice, the Crystalio, you can expect substancially better results from dvd, tv etc on virtually every display.
    If you can borrow the Iscan to test with your projector, it would be the best way to determine if it's capabilities would be adequate for your purposes.

8. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Test any scaler before buying. With my BD801s the Iscan Pro produced a slight left hook at screen top and the Centerstage CS1 gave squiggly verticals.

RGB input is a must. A PC based solution can work very well.