1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 800 sync problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zap, Nov 1, 2001.

1. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys

I have traded up my BD600 to a BD800 and am having problems already. When using an RGB source from a DVD or ITV Digital I occaisionally loose the picture. It usually starts with the top of the picture moving horizontally and then the picture goes off. It comes back after a few seconds. I am using a composite sync signal into the composite sync terminal on the projector. The composite channel also seems to be O.K.
    I also have a problem with S video that only seems to be in black & white.
    Could someone also please explain the use of the memory blocks and finally if I connect my HTPC do I need to use both the vertical and negative syncs and what basic setting should I start with.

Cheers for any help.
    Paul

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Zap so many questiions

At first I suspected the problem on your 800 is a macrovision issue and it probably needs a simple mod but macro vison has not been added to the digital boxes as far as I am aware. It would happen on S-video and composite which you say is fine.

Thefore I think the cause could be that the output of the sysnc signal is not trong enough for the projector. The RGB input on an 800 is used to seeing about 1volt. The composite video signal which what a scart lead outputs will be alot less and perhaps not enough for the PJ to lock to.

Check to see in Picture Adjust (control) that the sync setting (if available) is set to slow.

It may be worth trying to connect the sync siganal to the composite video in to see how the projector locks. If that works try putting it into the green input and selecting input 4 (sync on Green) if this struggles then we have the answer but not the solution.

S-video could easily be macrovison or a naff cable.

If you use an HCPC all syncs must be negative. With an 800 I would start at 800x600. A good one can go higher but try to get to the piont where you can still see scan lines.

Each time you present the projector with a source it has a table of memeory block that it looks through to provide a match. It checks the inputs sounce number first, then the horzontal scan rate, then the vertical. It will lock to the first match if you have two the same it SHOULD use the lowest number.
    All the Barco digital chasis had a thing called "digital interpolation device" which basically ment if it couldn't find a match it would use one of the other memory banks from a source that was close.

There is an engineering mode set into these projectors which is usefull for multiple aspect ratios. If you sellect say 92 for s video you can setup a seperate block for4x3 and 16x9 and switch between 2 and 92 same workes for composite 1/91 and RGB 5/95

Hope that helps

3. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Roland

Thanks for the suggestions, I have solved the s video problems by trying a different cable which totally cured the problem. However the sync problem is not proving so easy. As before I am using a DVD and an ITV digital box, the DVD works on both composite and s video and the ITV box is fine on composite. The problem is on RGBs. As you suggested I used a sync on green signal which gave a green pixleated picture but the projector locked on and did not move or loose sync. The problem on RGBs is totally at random and can last a second or it can loose the picture for a minute or two. When it is working it all works fine and can keep going for ten minutes or longer. Could it be a loose connection somewhere ? I have tried different cables without any luck.

Any more ideas or tests would be appreciated.

Paul

4. ATUL

ATUL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zap,

This problem can be solved if the sync voltage is amplified.
    I have done a modification inside a Barco RCVDS unit to solve this problem.

Atul.

5. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Atul

I am not using an RCVDS, can this be done to the projector or to the input & ifso how ?

Cheers
    Paul

6. ATUL

ATUL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zap,

modification cannot be done inside the projector.

Atul.

7. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

After further testing & playing I have found that my dreamcast connected to RGBs does not give me any problems I can therefore only assume that the problem must be with the DVD & ITV Box. Does anybody know if there is a way to boost the sync signal ?

Cheers
    Paul

8. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi zap
    I recently had a similar problem with locking on to RGB with my Sony 10ht. If you have the same inputs as the Sony the solution I found may help. In the scart connect pin19(composite sync) to pin 11(green) using a 50 ohm resistor in between the pins. This cured my problem, hope it helps.
    Dave

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That might work on the Barco you will have to sellect input 4 for sync on green. and all three colours will be fed to the green signal. The 50 ohm will reduce this effect but it may look a bit strange.

I'm sure maplins do a little sync boosting kit.

10. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Thanks for your help guys, I have ordered an amplifier and it will be here tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    Paul

12. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have got and fitted the parts that were needed to make the sync booster as suggested by dangerous, but I still have the same old problem I have also noticed that the DVD does not sync on its opening screen but the sync does go back to normal, i.e only an occaisional loss of sync during movie playback. Does anybody have any further suggestions as this is now driving me nuts. I have also looked to find a ready made booster without any luck.

Cheers
    Paul

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I suspect you are back to our friend MarcoVision again

Is the digital signal ok?

14. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Roland

I am begining to think you may be right about the macrovision, I know there is a mod for this, but cannot find out much info on it, do you know anymore? The digital signal is fine.

Cheers
    Paul

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You'll need a soldering iorn and a couple of bits.
    I've got the diagram...............somewhere.
    It'll have to wait to Monday before I can dig it up.

16. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Roland I appreciate your help. Soldering iron & bits are not a problem.

Paul

17. zap

zap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply and info Roland I have been away this week, but have ordered all the parts and will get back to you with the results when I have done it.

Paul