1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 800, no Blue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andysz, Sep 30, 2004.

1. andysz

andysz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just picked up a Barco 800 for free, (well not exactly free, it cost me a trip up to the top of a six story walk-up, and down with a 133 pound projector). I am not familiar with the unit yet, I downloaded the manuals and I'm currently looking at them. I turned it on once home and the blue crt is out. The test screen comes on and the red and green crts are bright. Looking at the blue crt through the lens, I can see the test text, but again it is not bright. Any suggestions where I could start to diagnose the problem? Is there possibly a setting that was changed? I would like to repair the unit if possible and donate it to a particular charity (my original intention.)

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Andy,

If your refering to the Barco startup screen, it is only in green & red, so the blue tube isn't needed and doesn't light up.

Try connecting a video source to it, and see what happens then ??

Cheers

3. andysz

andysz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response! I was looking over the unit last night and managed to get into the alignment screen. The blue crt did come on! (I suspected that the start-up screen didn't light all three, but I couldn't find that in my black and white manual). I downloaded the setup program that gives the physical setup (distance vs. screen size etc.) and I will use it before I ceiling mount the beast. Do you recommend that I do some preliminary adjustments on a table first? or is it better to do all the adjustments mounted?

4. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd definately try it out table top first.
    It will be much easier for you to do all of the convergence and geometry while it is table top.
    You will of course have to do the precedure from scratch again once you ceiling mount it but if there are any faults on it at least you can sort them out alot easier before it is ceiling mounted.

John

5. andysz

andysz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to set it up, especially since I now know the CRTs are working. Should I switch the unit to "table-top" mode first, and after doing the adjustments switch it back to "ceiling mount". Or should I work with it in the up-side-down mode?

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Andy,

Set it up for tabletop mode so the projected image & graphics are the right way round.

The set-up program is pretty good, but then again you can use up more of the phosphor than indicated in the set-up program. (Well as long as it's within 1/4" of the edge of the tube.)

Alignment of the PJ to the screen does help with the geomentry / convergance, do a search and you'll find out more info. There is plenty out there to help you.

It does take time to get used to what does what, but it does make sense in time.

Cheers

7. andysz

andysz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cosmic023 and JMPremier, it will take me a little time to set everything up. I also was able to get an 8 foot electric projection screen for free that I am giving away with this projector. I have to set the screen first! This is becoming a project!:) The way this system is coming together is: the Barco 800, the 8' electric screen, 2 - 4' Koss speakers, and an older 300 watt Kenwood receiver/amplifier for the sound. I will try to post as I come across problems. Thank you for your help....Andy P.S. A colleague at work just offered me a 50' s-video cable.

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Great work Andy, keep up the good work it'll be worth it in the end.

Cheers