1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 800 for £500? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ReTrO, Nov 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is a Barco 800 worth £500, 2nd hand?

What res. is it capable of with a PC input, 1200x1024?

Cheers

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

2. janice

janice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy Barco but would like some help.... I've tried downloading from Barco site but no use. I would like to buy second hand but who/where to buy.......
    anyone got an idea been looking in magazines but no help..

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Retro- £500 is a very good price if it runs ok and is in good shape. The most important factor in buying a used CRT machine is the condition of the tubes. If they are in bad shape then the projector is worth next to nothing- new tubes for an 800 are £1100 each in the UK, although there are a few used ones around. I think the Data 800 does SVGS or perhaps even XGA, the Graphics 800 is one up from that. I'll check when I get home.
    If you are going to buy a used Barco (or any CRT projector) then see it running and check the state of the tubes. Get whoever is selling it to run the integral test pattern on each of the 3 tubes (Red, Green, and Blue). The displayed grid should be even all the way across and a uniform brightness. Then turn the power off and look into the lenses with a torch to check for spot burns and worn tubes. Spot burns manifest themselves as black splodges near the centre of the tube and are very easy to see. If the tubes have been over cooked or are getting tired, then you'll see a large brownish on the face of the tube. The blue tube is the easiest to see as the face is white, so any blemishes stand out like a sore thumb! Check out www.fastlane.net/~mberkley/home.htm for some good examples.
    These are the main things to look for, but check for excess noise (a low fizzing noise is usual) from the power supply and HT circuits- anything with red leads on them. KEEP FINGERS WELL AWAY, or they may be the last thing you look at!

Janice- if you get stuck I have a spare BD800 (5200 hrs) which is complete, has perfect electronics, but less than perfect tubes which I keep for spares (not needed yet). If I can get some decent tubes, then I might put it back together to sell. It's all down to the price of tubes though.

If you haev any more questions, please feel free...

Simon www.si-tec.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Barco Man (edited 24-11-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.