1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 708 help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PFM, Oct 5, 2003.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi

I just bought a used BArco 708s, yesterday which I demoed, yesterday with my own DVDplayer & Iscan Ultra.

Two blocks were created Pal & NTSC for my Iscan intup

I drove it home and I cant get any light out of it,

At first the SF red LEd came on, no light out of the tubes, but now the I have all green LEDs illuminated and this:

I have no picture, menu or anything except a small faint glow in all of the tubes (identical) at the base and slightly to the right as if there is an image being displayed somewhere other than the tubes.

When I start it up and press for block 4 a near horizontal line will appear at the bottom of the tube face, but I have to look right into the lens to see these images. Has something worked loose in transit?

I saw the whole unit working perfectly 24hrs ago
    How should I start error checking to track down this problem?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Press 3

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Roland,

I pressed 3 on my keypad (not an original Barco -I dont have an original remote but a generic one assigned identical attributes). Which I think I understand refers to a direct input selection from the standby mode.

The unit powered up, no light was output except for when I look into the tubes:

with No input I get flashing across the bottom section of the tube faces (all 3 identical flashing)

when I played a source through the Iscan I get a horizontal line across the very bottom edge of the tube (identical again) but no light output.:confused:

Also the COINC LEd is lighting up and I cant find any real reference to the LED panel in the manual

What can I do:confused:

Is there something fundamental that I have missed?

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry not so helpfull before:(

Good news is you have EHT up because you can see the tubes alight. I suspect this is somthing realy simple. (my learing remote won't learn button 3 as a matter of interest)

I would ignore your remote for the moment and lets use the nasty controller under the flap (is you were lucky enough to get one) on the projector.
    Bring the projector out of standby and get all the lights on. Press the adjust button which should bring up the green adjustment menu (if it doesn't you may yet have a hardware problem). use the joystick thing to select 3 which is the RGB input.

By the sound of it your iscan has already worked but I was worried that you were using 4 component video, the iscan can be set to run either. By far the best way to run a 708 will be RGB and there a switch on the front of the ioscan to set this. Inside the iscan is a jumber to convert it to combined sync (RGBS) as you only have one sync input on the back of the projector.

If the above doesn't get anywhere try just composite video in and sellect 1.

5. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok, heres where I am at,

Last night, I started the unit up from standby using the on board controls. and tried the Adjust button (with no signal) to try and bring up the internal menu

The unit now starts up as it originally did with the HTHD led off (all other greens on), and the SF red led lit. There now appears to be no light in the tubes:confused:

and a clicking sound (I understand that this means Scan fail and is a self protection circuit).

Any thoughts

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's broken take it back.
    On te 708 the scan fail circuit is fairly extensive to help protect you tubes. Only replacing boards will give an idea now.

7. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Roland