1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 708 data remote stopped working

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GavinBrowne, Nov 8, 2003.

1. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone,

I have had my Barco 708 data for about a year now and last night for some strange reason the projector stopped responding to the remote. It's not the battery as I changed that a couple of weeks ago and it still has enough power in it to light up the buttons brightly.

The projector was pretty warm so I thought it might just be that it was too hot and gave up and used the buttons under the flap to switch it off and on ok.

This morning the remote was working again but by tonight I was back to square one again with no remote. (and no, the PJ had not been on all day!)

Does anyone have any ideas?, i.e. do you think the remote receiver on the PJ has become faulty.

I would welcome any ideas or similar experiences anyone has.

Cheers,

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the remote for my Barco wasn't working it was a loose convergence board that was the cause, take it out and place it back in firmly then tighten the screws, might get lucky.

3. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apocalypse,

Thanks for the reply. Before I open up the projector to try re-seating the convergence board, how do I identify it?

Thanks,

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

I'm assuming all Barcos have a similar design.

Edit - How come images never work on here, it's only a small sized pic.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This might help on all barco bar the 600 and 700 series where the IR receiver is not mounted in the front tray.

Several things can stop a barco responding to the remote. The most common is the address button. this is the recessed button on the front of the remote that allows you to have sevearal barcos in the room (some of us do) and talk to them independantly.

Press in the button once and let go. then press the "0" and let go 99% of the time this will fix the problem.

Somtimes extra infrared can block the signal comming to the PJ check your other remotes and things like those Piramid senders they can stop a projector dead. Energy lightbulbs send out just enough IR to stop a barco responding too.

After that check that the LED on the remote is working.
    You can check that the barco can receive IR by looking at the IR LED on the controller board inside the projector.

As I final test point the remote at a black and white security camera most of them are set to pick up IR too.

I'm waiting for Gavin to do a few more tests but my money is still on the adress button. If it doesn't work stight off try leaving the battery out for a few mins. (press a couple of buttons to discharge the remote)

6. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland,

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried all of the above and no luck. I have also tried using a cable to wire up the remote to the projector and it works that way. Incidentally, I have an IR pickup under my screen for relaying signals into the cupboard for the DVD and amp etc. and that responds with a red light when I press a button on the Barco remote.

However, all of the other remotes I have produce a much brighter red light when aimed at the IR pickup.

Cheers,

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Replacement remote on its way

8. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland,

Many thanks.

9. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland,

The replacement remote arrived this morning but unfortunately I am no further forward as the projector is not responding to the new remote either.

As the projector has 2 IR pickups, am I right in assuming it must be more complicated than a failed pickup?

Any ideas?

Thanks,