1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 701 Stopped Working After Transit *NEWBIE*

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hughk, Apr 6, 2005.

1. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

I bought a second hand Barco 701 projector today after i had a demo of it.

shipped it home in the car 5 hour round trip

I powered up and i cant even get a menu, I have tried several different inputs, s-vid and composite and the unit switches between them using the remote as i can see the led's on the pcb change. Defo have an input as i have a composite test monitor i use for work although i can not check for s-vid.

When i power up all looks normal as i get a green power leds on fron panel lit, and one amber which i have found out is a lock on the video signal, and everything looks to kick in ok, but i get no screen output.

looked at the tubes and when it is booting i have horizontal coloured lines for all tubes which ten turn to dim colour filling the whole tube. I think they should be much brighter for a picture but as this is my first CRT not definate.

Any ideas would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

2. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you turn up brightness and contrast?
    Do you hear HV coming up (crackling sound from the tubes)?
    What happens if you push the 'adj' button on the remote?

regards

3. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Kev,

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

When you try to run the projector is there an orange glow at the back end of the tubes. If there is, other posts on the forum would suggest that the RGB amplifiers are not working properly. The chances of all 3 failing simultaneously seems very slim so it could be that the board which feeds them has developed a fault. If no error leds are illuminated at the front of the projector it sounds like the scan electronics are fine and the eht supply is fine. This leaves us with the board which contains the screen (G2 and focus) controls part number 762488. I have a 701 spares machine sitting and you are welcome to the part if that turns out to be the problem.

Sadly I am no Barco expert. hopefully Roland or Henry will read this post and be able to shed some light (no pun intended).

4. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes I tried the brightness and contrast, it seems to be something more than that, you have to really look into the tube to be able to see that they are on.

When I press the ADJ button the controll PCB where there is four leds flicker as if to say it has heard th command but nothing appears.
    (ps the top led of the four flickers on and off constanlty as if polling, the others are off)

The HV seems to be coming up the tube do crackle ??

Do you know if the menu should appear even without and input ( pretty sure there is one, but read on another site that this could be a problem and wondered if it may be a problem with the input board.) ????

Any advice is gratefully accepted, and will give anything a try..

Cheers

kevin

5. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should get the barco identification screen with no source connected.
    Your G2's may be setup wrong but since you had a demo (i read in your post), i guess all was set well.

regards

6. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is no orange glow from the tube all of them are glowing the correct colour but very dim........is there a factory type reset i can do with the main board incase i have messed up some settings somehow ????

7. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Kev,

The orange glow I was referring to is when you look at the rear of the tube, not looking into the tube face. If you lift the large hinged board assembly you will see the three tubes with a boxy lump of electronics at the rear of each. You should be able to see an orange glow at the back end of each tube.

8. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

sorry for the confusion, yes there is an orange glow a at the end of each tube, have now pulled out the psu board and checked all fuses.
    Verified the s-vid signal is coming in.....now struggling dont know what to do next.

Cheers

kevin

9. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have now had a play with g2 colour level setting and turned the pot up so all tubes are lit brightly, when I change the input types the screen flickers as and the led changes but still just shows a screen with a few zig zagged lines, I am now leaning to the posibility of a damaged input board! could someone please verify if the input board was damaged it would stop you from being able to view the menu.

:lease:

Cheers

Kevin

10. skid

skid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kev,

Is sounds like the same problem i had with my new 701, as soon i got home i put on a small stool turned it on and could not get a picture or adj menu, but every thing looked ok and the tubes and all the right leds lit up but still no pic . I soon found out that the stool had bent the case on the bottom of the unit and shorted an earth strip on to the video input board, i replaced the whole rear board and everything now fine.

skid

11. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    skid

That's scary, exactly the same story, have spent a good amount of time looking at this and i think it is the input board. Could please tell me where you got your input board & how much roughly.

Thanks

Kev

12. skid

skid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lucky to find a cheap 701 on ebay bought it with burnt out tubes and just swaped the board around.

13. hughk

hughk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks I will keep an eye on ebay, and also try crtprojectors.co.uk

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    HughK
    I''ll be breaking a 701 for spares soon (thurs/Fri) Input board is Ok.